FORUMS

Samsung did it again! Crappie Note 7 memory (RAM) management!

1,354 posts
Thanks Meter: 229

By viniciusrsouza, Senior Member on 12th August 2016, 04:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I almost posted this to the discussion thread, but I truly think this deserves an exclusive topic!

Yes, guys, Samsung did it again. Just like Note 5, we now have a crappie RAM management that simply reloads every app and websites again after alternating recent apps/games. Just take a look at this first speed test side by side comparison to the iPhone 6S, made by this YouTube channel. Extremely disappointing! This is absolutely unacceptable for a so expensive device like this! Even worse, but being able to correct manage 4 GB of RAM is ridiculous!

I already ordered a Spigen Wallet S cover and I'm just waiting for Brazilian pre-order to start, but now I need to confess that I'm a bit desperate due to this performance, mainly because this simply doesn't occur when using my Galaxy Note 3!

Anyway, here it goes:

Edit: Another video added! Now against OP3.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viniciusrsouza For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift viniciusrsouza Ad-Free
12th August 2016, 04:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 301

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by viniciusrsouza

I almost posted this to the discussion thread, but I truly think this deserves an exclusive topic!

Yes, guys, Samsung did it again. Just like Note 5, we now have a crappie RAM management that simply reloads every app and websites again after alternating recent apps/games. Just take a look at this first speed test side by side comparison to the iPhone 6S, made by this YouTube channel. Extremely disappointing! This is absolutely unacceptable for a so expensive device like this! Even worse, but being able to correct manage 4 GB of RAM is ridiculous!

I already ordered a Spigen Wallet S cover and I'm just waiting for Brazilian pre-order to start, but now I need to confess that I'm a bit desperate due to this performance, mainly because this simply doesn't occur when using my Galaxy Note 3!

Anyway, here it goes:

Yeah, as soon as I saw this video, I considered canceling my order. I'm holding out hope that the Snapdragon model doesn't have this issue, but if it does, I'll simply return it. I don't care how much of a fanboy you are, there is simply NO EXCUSE for this on a $900 flagship device with 4gb of RAM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greyhulk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greyhulk Ad-Free
12th August 2016, 07:07 AM |#3  
I understand some frustration, but so people really treat their phones this way in real life? How much app switching do you do? 1 second versus 0.8 seconds really isn't a big deal for most people. Canceling an order over this seems a bit... Hasty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PsiPhiDan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PsiPhiDan Ad-Free
12th August 2016, 07:11 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
That is pretty crappy. I hope they fix it.
12th August 2016, 07:13 AM |#5  
UK
Thanks Meter: 367

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiPhiDan

I understand some frustration, but so people really treat their phones this way in real life? How much app switching do you do? 1 second versus 0.8 seconds really isn't a big deal for most people. Canceling an order over this seems a bit... Hasty.

Shows Samsung have not engineered the device properly. Even OnePlus got this right.

Sent from my LG-H850 using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jah Ad-Free
12th August 2016, 07:40 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 229

More
Quote:

I truly don't bother about milliseconds delay when opening apps or even seconds more to open games (nowadays it's even pretty rare to me playing games, to be honest), as we saw in the video. The real deal is this frustrating, disappointing and, mainly, irritating "reload everything issue" that was so much discussed when Note 5 was released and recently was so criticized also about the latest 1+ device.

We expect low end devices to throw a cold water bucket on our heads while reloading everything we pick under recent apps, but this is unacceptable for the most expensive phone in the world! This is so basic.

And this is not something about not being real life. This is something about the same issue that Note 5 (don't know if S7 also) faced. You don't need to open multiple games. Just alternate between some light apps and this will be sufficient to TouchWiz kill them at background.

Also, this is ridiculous for a phone that claims itself to be a multitasking monster and it's even able to open multiple apps at once at the same time, splitting screen and/or through those bubbles S Pen feature.

For example, I'm writing all of this using my Note 3 and already alterned between weather app, Google app, Inbox and even Google Translator to help me writing this. Just imagine now if I was using Note 7 and this f* Samsung TouchWiz killing background apps thing just reloaded all my 4 Chrome tabs when I returned to it! I would have lost EVERYTHING I typed!

This is not something we can deal of we can handle/accept. No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah

Shows Samsung have not engineered the device properly. Even OnePlus got this right.

Sent from my LG-H850 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Yeah, but it got an update to correct this issue. Originally it wasn't right. I remember watching some videos on YouTube about it. So I really have hope Samsung will fix this pretty soon also!
The Following User Says Thank You to viniciusrsouza For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift viniciusrsouza Ad-Free
12th August 2016, 07:59 AM |#7  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 120

More
There should be an update for sure Even S7E have a better RAM management. I understand killing games but Youtube and browser or other light apps? Cmon Samsung that's plain stupid.
12th August 2016, 08:42 AM |#8  
UK
Thanks Meter: 367

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by viniciusrsouza

I truly don't bother about milliseconds delay when opening apps or even seconds more to open games (nowadays it's even pretty rare to me playing games, to be honest), as we saw in the video. The real deal is this frustrating, disappointing and, mainly, irritating "reload everything issue" that was so much discussed when Note 5 was released and recently was so criticized also about the latest 1+ device.

We expect low end devices to throw a cold water bucket on our heads while reloading everything we pick under recent apps, but this is unacceptable for the most expensive phone in the world! This is so basic.

And this is not something about not being real life. This is something about the same issue that Note 5 (don't know if S7 also) faced. You don't need to open multiple games. Just alternate between some light apps and this will be sufficient to TouchWiz kill them at background.

Also, this is ridiculous for a phone that claims itself to be a multitasking monster and it's even able to open multiple apps at once at the same time, splitting screen and/or through those bubbles S Pen feature.

For example, I'm writing all of this using my Note 3 and already alterned between weather app, Google app, Inbox and even Google Translator to help me writing this. Just imagine now if I was using Note 7 and this f* Samsung TouchWiz killing background apps thing just reloaded all my 4 Chrome tabs when I returned to it! I would have lost EVERYTHING I typed!

This is not something we can deal of we can handle/accept. No way!

Yeah, but it got an update to correct this issue. Originally it wasn't right. I remember watching some videos on YouTube about it. So I really have hope Samsung will fix this pretty soon also!

My point is that Oneplus is a tiny company compared to Samsung. Samsung should get it right when their product is double the price of the Oneplus 3.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using XDA-Developers mobile app
12th August 2016, 01:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 301

More
Quote:

So, you're telling me you're okay with paying $900 for a device that has 4gb of RAM yet can't even keep two apps running in the background with said RAM? Because that's sad. I feel like people who downplay this have no idea how a smartphone is supposed to work. If you need an example, see the Galaxy S7 an S7 Edge, both made by Samsung, both of which handle RAM management very well. There is literally no excuse for Samsung to set the app cache settings so low on this phone.

People try to defend them by saying "battery life", but that just speaks to a severe ignorance in how RAM is utilized. Sure, if you have a badly coded app running in the background, it will take some extra battery, but for the most part, it takes MORE battery to reload the apps over and over because that's taxing the processor. It's also inexcusable on a device that is supposed to be a multitasking powerhouse for power users.

Hasty? Practical. I fell for Samsung's crap last year with the Note 5 and didn't return it in time. It took them months and an entire new version of Android to rectify the bad RAM management in that device and mine sat in a drawer because I couldn't stand to use it in its crippled state. I'm not going through that again. Not when there are devices for half the price that actually perform like they should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyhulk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greyhulk Ad-Free
12th August 2016, 04:18 PM |#10  
Flag Hartland, MI
Thanks Meter: 193

More
I have the note 5 and my background apps rarely reload when I switch back and forth.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
12th August 2016, 05:07 PM |#11  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,215

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandetto

I have the note 5 and my background apps rarely reload when I switch back and forth.

I can't believe this video has been posted in three different threads in this and the T-Mobile Note7 forum. Comparing any Android phone to an iPhone is like comparing a diesel car to a gasoline powered one. The two OS's are totally different in their approach to performance. The iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM out benchmarked Android and the 6s only has 2MB of RAM. There are threads here where people are up in arms the Note7 only has 4GB.

As for memory management there's a balance between keeping multiple apps alive in the background for convenience and keeping too many open which impacts battery life. This is what caused all the recent drama with the OnePlus 3 and its 6GB of RAM keeping fewer apps open than the S7-series. Here's a quote from the OnePlus founder.
After a comparison video earlier this week showed us that the OnePlus 3’s 6GB of RAM might not give it the insane multitasking capabilities we all hoped, OnePlus CEO Carl Pei has responded with a few clarifications surrounding RAM management on the OnePlus 3. On paper, 6GB of RAM would lead most users to believe that they could easily have several apps open at a time without anything reloading, however upon getting devices, many users have found that the phone can only hold 3 or 4 apps in memory before removing them. Why is that the case? Pei [the OnePlus founder] quite simply responded by saying that OnePlus has a “different strategy for RAM management that benefits battery”. While battery is definitely a valid concern with the OnePlus 3 considering the smaller 3,000 mAh capacity, it’s definitely a bit disappointing to see performance given up in exchange. That said however, there is a way to get around this. Carl Pei explained in another tweet that the RAM management can be adjusted in third-party ROMs. So with other ROMs that should be released pretty soon, developers could easily change the RAM management to a far less aggressive setting. A potential fix using the first party ROM is currently floating around on XDA, but Pei reminds us that RAM management is handled by more than just the build.prop, so don’t put too much faith in that “fix”.

http://9to5google.com/2016/06/17/one...the-oneplus-3/
Samsung took huge flack on the S6 because it only kept 3-4 background apps alive. It improved on the Note5 to 5-7 which is what I've experienced over the past year. I'd expect similar performance in the Note7. With all the unique strengths and features the Note7 has if the number of background apps open is a top priority maybe folks should reconsider their purchase decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BarryH_GEG Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)