FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SM-N935F/DS] [Note FE] How to flash TWRP & Root with Magisk (International Ver.)

81 posts
Thanks Meter: 66

By RicePlay33, Member on 10th January 2018, 01:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATE OF FEBRUARY, 25TH 2018 : After 7 days, I've finally been able to reflash TWRP and restore my backup. I've flashed the RMM Fix but I had to manually change the "security.vaultkeeper" value to 0. The procedure has been updated.

SAMSUNG Galaxy Note Fan Edition
Exynos 8890 - International Ver. [SM-N935F/DS]

Last Version of TWRP: v3.2.1-0

1 - ▼ DISCLAIMER

- I DECLINE TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE OR BRICK YOUR PHONE WHILE TRYING THIS METHOD ! YOU'RE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISKS !
- THIS METHOD IS ONLY VALID FOR THE GALAXY NOTE FAN EDITION (EXYNOS Ver.) SM-N935F/DS VERSION ! IT'S NOT SUITABLE FOR THE KOREAN VARIANTS ! (N935S/N935L/N935K)
- FLASHING ANY CUSTOM BINARY WILL IRREMEDIABLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND KNOX COUNTER WILL BE TRIGGERED (0x1).
- MAKE SURE THAT YOUR DEVICE HAS AT LEAST 70% BATTERY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEPS !
- ALL THE DATA ON THE INTERNAL STORAGE WILL BE DELETED ! BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES IN A SAFE PLACE BEFORE PROCEEDING !

2 - ▼ Important Infos

To avoid making any mistakes, I HIGHLY recommend you to READ CAREFULLY the WHOLE guide BEFORE attempting anything! Prevention is better than cure remember

The Galaxy Note FE (like many other Samsung devices) use dm-verity and data partition encryption.
dm-verity will be disabled when you'll flash Magisk and the data partition encryption will be removed with TWRP during the process.

About RMM State :

The Note FE (International Ver.) is shipped with something called "RMM".
This component is able to prevent the end-user from flashing any custom binary on the device while it's active.

You can check if your RMM is enabled or disabled by putting your device in Download Mode :
- If the line "RMM State: Prenormal" is present, then RMM is enabled and you won't be able to flash any custom binary.
- If it's absent, then it has already been disabled which means that you'll be able to flash any custom binary.

This component suddenly disable itself after 7 days of continuous uptime since the device has been last powered on.
You can check your device actual uptime by going into : "Settings" > "About phone" > "Status" > "Uptime"
Or use CPU-Z : "System" tab and "System Uptime". (I prefer CPU-Z, as it's displayed in days rather than hours.)

Once 7 days are elapsed, it will be desactivated BUT! If you format the data partition for example, which's required to disable data encryption for rooting, it will be back!
Even worse, if you reboot once you've setup your phone, you'll get blocked with a message when you'll powering it on saying ("custom binary has been block due to remaining installment balance") and you'll have to reflash stock to get your device working again...

(January 9th 2018) To this day, the purpose of this feature remains unknown. I've asked Samsung personally, they've never wanted to answer me about it.
The error message when flashing any custom binary while this thing is active ("custom binary has been block due to remaining installment balance") is still a mystery and seems to be rare. Google is almost silent as there's only a few cases and further more, they're recent, meaning that this is some new stuff from Samsung. Why is it enabled by default ? No one knows. (Not even me)

(February, 25th 2018) RMM has been largely documented now. A fix provided by an XDA user seems to be working to avoid RMM to be able to reboot directly after flashing and to relock itself. Although, there is still no way to totaly bypass the first 7 days wait.

3 - ▼ Prerequisites
  1. A SAMSUNG Galaxy Note FE [SM-N935F/DS]
  2. Install Samsung USB Drivers (If not already installed, HERE)
  3. Download the lastest Odin (v3.12) [HERE]
  4. Download TWRP for the Galaxy Note7 [SM-N930F] (v3.2.1-0.img.tar) [HERE]
  5. Download Magisk (v16.0) [HERE]
  6. Download the RMM Patch [HERE]
  7. A PC with USB-C Cable
  8. A Brain, a pair of eyeballs and some fingers (Yeah, that could help... Maybe)

4 - ▼ Flashing TWRP 3.2.1-0 on the Galaxy Note FE

Quote:

1. Make sure to enable "USB Debugging" and "OEM Unlock" in the Dev Options.
  2. Connect your phone to your PC and drag and drop the Magisk package and the RMM fix at the root of your microSD card.
  3. Wait 7 days (or 168 hours) while maintaining your device up and running. (NEVER REBOOT DURING THIS TIME ! IT WILL RESET THE RMM TIME COUNTER!)
  4. Once the 7 days (168h) are elapsed, turn off your device.
  5. Enter the Download Mode by pressing simultaneously the "Home" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons for 5 sec. Read the warning message and just answer "Continue".
  6. Launch Odin and select TWRP 3.2.1-0 archive by clicking on the "AP" button.
  7. Go to the "Options" tab and untick "Auto-reboot"
  8. Connect your phone which is in DL Mode to your PC.
  9. /IMPORTANT!\ Make sure Odin is seeing your device properly.
    (Once connected, you should see the box under the "ID:COM" tab displaying "0:[COM*]" in blue, meaning your phone has been detected successfully. If not, Install the Samsung USB Drivers, link available in the prerequisites section.)
  10. Flash TWRP.
  11. Wait while Odin in flashing the recovery. /AVOID TOUCHING ANYTHING DURING FLASH PROCESS\
  12. When Odin shows "PASS", take your device in hands, disconnect the USB-C cable and press simultaneously the "Home" + "Vol. Down" + "Power" buttons until the DL mode disappears.
  13. When at the precise moment the screen becomes black, immediately release the "Vol.Down" button and press the "Home" + "Vol. UP" + "Power" buttons during 10 to 15sec to enter TWRP recovery.
  14. You should see TWRP logo just after the Note FE splash-screen.

Now TWRP is successfully installed. But we're not done yet ! We still have to deal with the data encryption and disable dm-verity in order to boot properly.

5 - ▼ Rooting the Galaxy Note FE (Using Magisk V16.0) & Fix RMM

Quote:

1. Once TWRP is showing up, tick the option labeled "Never show this screen during boot again" and slide the cursor to allow modifications.
  2. On the main menu, tap on "Wipe"
  3. Then, tap on "Format Data" and confirm that you want to erase data by entering "YES" in the text box and validate.
  4. Data is now wiped and encryption is removed ! Yay!
  5. Return to the main menu and tap "Reboot" and then "Recovery"
  6. Once the device has rebooted in Recovery again, tap "Install" and install Magisk package from your SD card.
  7. Once it's done, wipe cache & dalvik and return to the main menu.
  8. Install the RMM fix package.
  9. Once it's done, wipe cache & dalvik and return to the main menu.
  10. Last step, tap "Reboot" and then "System"

Once you've booted up and setup your device, do not reboot immediately! We still have to edit the build.prop. So download BuildProp editor (or use a file manager) :
  11. At the line "ro.security.vaultkeeper.feature=" change the value to 0.
  12. Once done, you can reboot.

Your device will now reboot. It may stay a couple of minutes on the "SAMSUNG" logo as the whole ROM is being reinstalled. Once the setup screen is appearing, setup your phone as usual.
Note : All Samsung Pay, Pass, Knox etc.. features and Secure Folder won't be usable anymore as Knox as been triggered. For Samsung Health, there is a easy fix. Just read the whole guide

6 - ▼ Disable SecurityLogAgent pop-up & Samsung Anti-Malware

Samsung provides an anti-malware on their phones and the Note FE is one of them. The system will detect that Magisk has been installed and a service called "SecurityLogAgent" will regularly
pop-up in your notification bar to invite you to launch the Device Maintenance app and reboot the device using an orange button to "eliminate" the threat. => DO NOT REBOOT USING THIS BUTTON ! <=
You'll end up soft-brick your phone. And this, won't disappear on it's own. (It's not like the RMM component.)

To disable and definitively hide that anti-malware crap from the Device Management app :
Quote:

1. Download "CSC Features Expert for Samsung" on the Play Store (Free)
  2. Launch the app and give it the root rights
  3. In the search bar, type "DisableAntiMalware" (Without commas)
  4. Click on the item and enter the value "TRUE" (Same)
  5. Click on "Save"
  6. Reboot

The Samsung Anti Malware is now disabled as well as the annoying pop-up.You're good to go, enjoy!

7 - ▼ Fix Samsung Health

For whatever reasons, Samsung locks-up Samsung Health once Knox has been triggered.. But go figure why, there's only a simple thing to do to re-enable the app and be able to use it again easily.

You can either use a file manager or the app "BuildProp Editor".
Quote:

1. Download MiXplorer v6.22.1 HERE (Or any file manager of your choice if you're more familiar with it. I recommend MiXplorer because I use it everyday, it's lightweight, really nice to use, free and it's made by a great guy on XDA )
  2. Access root partition and go into the "/system" folder
  3. Open the file "build.prop" with a text editor.
  4. Simply change the line "ro.config.tima=1" to "ro.config.tima=0"
  5. Save the changes, and close the app.
  6. Reboot.

Ta-da! Samsung Health is now working again !

8 - ▼ Troubleshooting

You have a problem with your Note FE ? Take a look at those answers before posting :
  • Q: I try to flash TWRP with Odin but a message pops up on my device and says "custom binary has been block due to remaining installment balance". What's happening ?
    A: RMM. This message is more likely to appear if you still have RMM enabled. Boot your phone, keep it powered on and running and never reboots during 7 days and it should disappear.
  • Q: I've flashed TWRP with success, formatted data and stuff but I see the message "custom binary has been block due to remaining installment balance" at boot and I can't boot ! What's happening ?
    A: RMM again ! Once data has been formatted and Android first reinstalled, RMM state is back! You need to wait 7 days before reboot/shutdown your device. Now, to unbrick it, you have 2 options : 1 - Flash stock BUT with HOME_CSC. (It will keep the RMM elasped time, but you'll have to keep in mind since how much time has elapsed already.) or 2 - Reflash stock and follow the entire procedure again and the waiting again.
  • Q: I've managed to install TWRP, root and get my phone up and running but I've clicked on the orange "Reboot" in the Anti-Malware tab in the Device Management app.
    Now my phone bootloops (or) shows the message "custom binary has been block due to remaining installment balance" and I'm stuck with it.
    A: You've got trapped into Samsung Anti-Malware crap. This utility can't delete Magisk. Only solution ? Re-flash stock, repeat the entire procedure, disable SecurityEventLog service to get rid of those annoying security pop-ups AND stay away from the anti-malware utility !

9 - ▼ Extras

Thanks. If there is any mistakes or errors, please feel free to report them to me, I'll correct them

Credits goes to :
Author : RicePlay33
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180225-010602.png
Views:	1260
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	4429937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180225-010550.png
Views:	1232
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	4429938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180225-010806.png
Views:	1214
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	4429939  
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to RicePlay33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RicePlay33 Ad-Free

11th January 2018, 10:57 AM |#2  

More
Thanks ! I'll give it a try.

Do you think we can use all the flashable mods and custom roms from S7/S7 edge?
11th January 2018, 11:03 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Bordeaux

More
Well the answers are : Maybe and No.
Some mods that you can apply with TWRP may work, some not.
Concerning custom ROMs it's totally no. ROMs are designed for specific hardware and phone models. Unless someone creates a custom ROM for the Note FE, it's not possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to RicePlay33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RicePlay33 Ad-Free
11th January 2018, 11:08 AM |#4  
Flag Nancy
Thanks Meter: 87

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicePlay33

Some mods that you can apply with TWRP may work, some not.
Concerning custom ROMs it's totally no. ROMs are designed for specific hardware and phone models. Unless someone creates a custom ROM for the Note FE, it's not possible.

Yes you can use custom roms from the Note 7 or Note FE of Korea

Envoyé de mon SM-N935F en utilisant Tapatalk
11th January 2018, 11:18 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Bordeaux

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benyou54

Yes you can use custom roms from the Note 7 or Note FE of Korea

Envoyé de mon SM-N935F en utilisant Tapatalk

I wouldn't try it lol. At your own risks
The Following User Says Thank You to RicePlay33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RicePlay33 Ad-Free
11th January 2018, 03:05 PM |#6  

More
@RicePlay33 just out of curiosity, what mods have you tried ?
11th January 2018, 04:05 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Bordeaux

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paninno12

@RicePlay33 just out of curiosity, what mods have you tried ?

I've only tried the Dual Speaker mod for the S7 edge as it was my previous device, but it only works partially on the FE actually. Whenever I make a phone call for the first time just after rebooting, the microphone works fine but then if I try any more times after, the microphone stops working without any reasons :/ Quite a weird problem.. Like I said, some mods may work, some not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RicePlay33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RicePlay33 Ad-Free
12th January 2018, 11:01 AM |#8  
Flag KL
Thanks Meter: 1,403

Donate to Me
More
any mod you want to try i suggest take it from s8/s8+ version. anyway since you guys has root your device... try to update some of the old apps in system. got a better one out there.
12th January 2018, 04:59 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Bordeaux

More
I've tried the Dual Speaker for the Note 8 (Magisk mod) but it simply didn't work. That would be awesome if the dev of this mod for the S7/ S7 edge version could release a NFE one (@zubi182)
18th January 2018, 03:18 PM |#10  
Flag Bielefeld
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Does anyone know if Secure Folder can be somehow enabled? I managed to do it on my rooted S7 Edge , but with dark lord rom and some sort of kernel. I'm guessing this isn't possible on this rooted stock rom?
20th January 2018, 09:48 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Anyone know where i can get an international note fe?dont want dual SIM version
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flashing, n935f/ds, note fe, root, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)