All Software issues of the "ZTE Nubia Red Magic 5g" + Nubias reaction

How do you feel about the software issues of the "Red Magic 5g"?

• I can live with it, i only care about gaming!

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I will return it!

Votes: 16 10.2%
  • I regret buying it!

Votes: 25 15.9%
  • I don't recommend buying it!

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • i will wait for Nubia to fix the Problems!

Votes: 80 51.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
This thread is a request to nubia to fix their software issues on the "Red Magic 5g" global Rom 4.05.
Most of these issues are also on the other roms.

The crossed bugs are the fixed by the oem.

The poll is for nubia to see the opinions of their customers.
here we can show nubia and their future customers how many of us will return their devices, regret buying it, don't recommend it, or don't care about the issues.
Feel free to quote the opening post to address issues i didnt mention.

1. We can't see who is callig when voLTE is enabled.(caller id is allways unknown) workaround: disable 5g or volte.

2. We cant change the Default launcher.
nubia tried to fix this in latest updates but its still not working as intended.

3. AOD can't be turned on once turned off.

4. there is no Option to disable "screen turning on when phone is beeing moved".

5. there is no Option for battery percentage in statusbar (but included in cn rom).

6. there is no face unlock (but included in cn rom).

7. there is no nfc on cn rom. (It's included on global rom but can't pay with Gpay. All goes Ok but when paying the terminal says, "only one card at a time".)

8. gestures navigation area will switch in respect to the screen orientation making it hard to use the keyboard vertically.

9. unlocking bootloader breaks the fingerprint sensor functionality.

10. there is no official global rom.zip but a cn rom.

11. there is no kernel source released yet.

12. there are no real battery statistics like "screen on time".

13. the recents Activity is inside the launcher instead of system ui (meaning we have no working recents if we don't use the nubia launcher)

14. there is no option for 120 hz (there is a hidden menu only accessible with a third party app whoch can actually enable it)

15. there is no option for full hd in the Screenrecorder settings (can be anabled in a hidden menu with a thirdparty app)

16. After using the phone for a while connected to 5ghz wifi, it will disconect and will only be able to connect to 2.4ghz wifi until you restart the phone.

17. Android widevine lvl is 3 instead of 1

18. When connected to the dock, charging works when dock option is activated. But if we connect an USB-C to HDMI cable, power charging is stopped

19. Desktop mode can only be activated with adb.

Dear Nubia this device has the best hardware but if you don't start putting more effort in fixing the problems of your customers you will ruin your brand. This hardware deserves a better software. I will not return my device because i only care about gaming performance and i was aware of the problems of the previous red Magic phones when i bought this device.
Please don't justify the cliché of cheap Chinese phones/brands. Just put more effort in software development. Complete Something before you start a new project. Don't endup selling a halfbaked product. You can do better!

I explained all these issues to Nubia and got a first response!
mhfehfwu.jpg

nz2yryqg.jpg

Now we got someone from nubia up on xda trying to resolve the issues. This is good news.

Last edited:

RussST24

Mar 26, 2008
On point 1. I disabled VoLTE and my caller id now works. UK user.

Sent from my NX659J using Tapatalk

gokhujee

Nov 26, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
This thread is a request to nubia to fix their software issues on the "Red Magic 5g" global Rom 4.05.

here we can show nubia and their future customers how many of us will return their devices, regret buying it, don't recommend it, or don't care about the issues.

1. We can't see who is callig (caller id is allways unknown) (but working on cn rom)

2. We cant change the Default launcher

3. AOD can't be turned on once turned off

4. there is no Option to disable "screen turning on when phone is beeing moved"

5. there is no Option for battery percentage in statusbar (but included in cn rom)

6. there is no face unlock (but included in cn rom)

7. there is no nfc on cn rom (but included in global rom)

8. gestures navigation area will switch in respect to the screen orientation making it hard to use the keyboard vertically.

13. the recents Activity is inside the launcher instead of system ui (meaning we have no working recents if we don't use the nubia launcher)

14. there is no option for 120 hz (there is a hidden menu only accessible with a third party app whoch can actually enable it)

15. there is no option for full hd in the Screenrecorder settings (can be anabled in a hidden menu with a thirdparty app)

Dear Nubia this device has the best hardware but if you don't start putting more effort in fixing the problems of your customers you will ruin your brand. this hardware deserves a better software. I will not return my device because i only care about gaming performance and i was aware of the problems of the previous red Magic phones when i bought this device.

please don't justify the cliché of cheap Chinese phones/brands. Just put more effort in software development. complete Something before you start a new project. don't endup selling a halfbaked product. you can do better!
I 100 percent agree, I am a first time customer of yours to and I love the phone the hardware, the software has issues , especially fingerprint being broken after unlocking bootloader.

WiFlex

Apr 28, 2020
At least they could start with providing kernel source for this device, and then some custom ROM development can start.

I am really frustrated with v4.05 official sw and for me it is not usable on day to day basis.

Reactions: pakophan

xabierd

Jul 17, 2008
Google Pixel 6
The phone is really nice, top notch hardware and good design at a very reasonable price, but it s not right to rush out to market a phone with alpha level software. I don't like google apps and I don't use them but play store not being certified is very dodgy for a stock phone on the market that hasn't been flashed by the reseller.

Fraxierferns

May 2, 2020
How to get the unknown caller id fix

Hi ,
The only way I was able to get the caller id to be visible was to use it on 3g.. I am on ee sim and cannot see option to disable volte. Is there some other way to fix this without rooting the device. If not I am planning to return this device. That's my main issue.. if I could find a fix which doesn't involve loosing 4g connection I am more than happy to use this as my daily driver..I think the phone hardware Is awesome specially for the price. It's a Shame the software isn't up to par.. ant help would be greatful.. the reply I got from Nubia is to return the devise..didn't even offer any solution.

Reactions: nadejo

mslezak

Dec 12, 2016
Houston
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S23
Yes the Redmagic 5G has the potential to dominate the world markets because of the hardware specs. I've been the major push to get things going in the dev community I moved over from building Xiaomi kernels. Redmagic generally listens when many of us press issues via support@redmagic.gg or post on the GitHub I setup. Thanks all for helping. Major bugs would be NFC doesn't work in Global + NA variants (2 cards detected by terminal instead of 1), bootloader unlock breaks FP. No update.zip provided for anything other than Chinese variant. We probably need the Qualcomm EDL bin images from Redmagic if they are serious about development on this phone. They can capture insane sales if we get the right tools.

RussST24

Mar 26, 2008
Hi ,

The only way I was able to get the caller id to be visible was to use it on 3g.. I am on ee sim and cannot see option to disable volte. Is there some other way to fix this without rooting the device. If not I am planning to return this device. That's my main issue.. if I could find a fix which doesn't involve loosing 4g connection I am more than happy to use this as my daily driver..I think the phone hardware Is awesome specially for the price. It's a Shame the software isn't up to par.. ant help would be greatful.. the reply I got from Nubia is to return the devise..didn't even offer any solution.
Do you not see the option below on your SIM?

I have SIM1 on O2.
With the VoLTE enabled I got no caller ID.

View attachment 5010309

View attachment 5010315

Last edited:

neo9596

Oct 29, 2007
This is what Nubia answer me for the first post question:

RedMagic (Red Magic)

May 3, 17:06 CST

You can use facial data to unlock the mobile phone. You must set the lock-screen password before using facial recognition.Click “settings-password, fingerprint and face-facial recognition” on the desktop to enter the facial recognition interface.When you enter the facial recognition interface for the first time, you need to enter the facial feature data.
(1) Start facial recognition:Click “settings-password, fingerprint and face-facial recognition” on the desktop, turn on the “facial unlocking” switch, and turn on facial recognition;
(2) Facial unlocking:
①In the “facial recognition” interface, turn on the “facial unlocking” switch;
②When the mobile phone is locked, press the power button to light the screen, then the mobile phone can be unlocked through facial recognition.
(3) Light supplement of screen :
① In the “facial recognition” interface, turn on the “facial unlocking” switch;
② When unlocking the screen by facial recognition in the dark environment, the screen automatically lights up to unlock the mobile phone.
(4) Facial data management: In the “facial recognition” interface, click “remove facial data” to delete the stored facial data, click “add facial data” to enter facial data.
Note: Facial recognition is less secure than pattern and figure passwords, and the mobile phone may be unlocked by someone with similar looks.
As for other problem you put forward we will feedback to our technicians,thanks for your suggestion and support.
This option is missing in GLobal Rom "settings-password, fingerprint and face-facial recognition", Nubia doesn't know what is included in GLobal and CN, oh my god!!we are lost!!.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZivasJR

Fraxierferns

May 2, 2020
It was the same for me, however, if you disable the 5G option, the VoLTE option then becomes available.

Hi ,
I've done that too but no option can be seen . I am on ee..and I've tried sky sim last night I don't even get 4g or 3g internet, it connects to a 4g signal but doesn't have any mobile internet. Really disappointed with the network issue. Thanks for trying to help bud.

nadejo

Jun 28, 2010
Asus ROG Phone 6 / 6 Pro
This is what Nubia answer me for the first post question:

RedMagic (Red Magic)

May 3, 17:06 CST

You can use facial data to unlock the mobile phone. You must set the lock-screen password before using facial recognition.Click “settings-password, fingerprint and face-facial recognition” on the desktop to enter the facial recognition interface.When you enter the facial recognition interface for the first time, you need to enter the facial feature data.
(1) Start facial recognition:Click “settings-password, fingerprint and face-facial recognition” on the desktop, turn on the “facial unlocking” switch, and turn on facial recognition;
(2) Facial unlocking:
①In the “facial recognition” interface, turn on the “facial unlocking” switch;
②When the mobile phone is locked, press the power button to light the screen, then the mobile phone can be unlocked through facial recognition.
(3) Light supplement of screen :
① In the “facial recognition” interface, turn on the “facial unlocking” switch;
② When unlocking the screen by facial recognition in the dark environment, the screen automatically lights up to unlock the mobile phone.
(4) Facial data management: In the “facial recognition” interface, click “remove facial data” to delete the stored facial data, click “add facial data” to enter facial data.
Note: Facial recognition is less secure than pattern and figure passwords, and the mobile phone may be unlocked by someone with similar looks.
As for other problem you put forward we will feedback to our technicians,thanks for your suggestion and support.
This option is missing in GLobal Rom "settings-password, fingerprint and face-facial recognition", Nubia doesn't know what is included in GLobal and CN, oh my god!!we are lost!!.

their employees are just not schooled properly. nubia is aware of every single bug!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Most of these issues are also on the other roms.

The crossed bugs are the fixed by the oem.

1. We can't see who is callig when voLTE is enabled.(caller id is allways unknown) workaround: disable 5g or volte.

2. We cant change the Default launcher.
    nubia tried to fix this in latest updates but its still not working as intended.

3. AOD can't be turned on once turned off.

4. there is no Option to disable "screen turning on when phone is beeing moved".

5. there is no Option for battery percentage in statusbar (but included in cn rom).

6. there is no face unlock (but included in cn rom).

7. there is no nfc on cn rom. (It's included on global rom but can't pay with Gpay. All goes Ok but when paying the terminal says, "only one card at a time".)

16. After using the phone for a while connected to 5ghz wifi, it will disconect and will only be able to connect to 2.4ghz wifi until you restart the phone.

17. Android widevine lvl is 3 instead of 1

18. When connected to the dock, charging works when dock option is activated. But if we connect an USB-C to HDMI cable, power charging is stopped

19. Desktop mode can only be activated with adb.

Dear Nubia this device has the best hardware but if you don't start putting more effort in fixing the problems of your customers you will ruin your brand. This hardware deserves a better software. I will not return my device because i only care about gaming performance and i was aware of the problems of the previous red Magic phones when i bought this device.
    Please don't justify the cliché of cheap Chinese phones/brands. Just put more effort in software development. Complete Something before you start a new project. Don't endup selling a halfbaked product. You can do better!

I explained all these issues to Nubia and got a first response!
    mhfehfwu.jpg

nz2yryqg.jpg

Now we got someone from nubia up on xda trying to resolve the issues. This is good news.
    I'm shocked that a phone this awesome has such terrible software...the potential for a game changer is there. All Nubia has to do is what OnePlus did when they were still new in the market - Get support from big name devs. Lineage 17.1 with the added Nubia enhancements for gaming would be epic. They should start a community forum and a Beta software channel.

Nubia - Get the help of the developer community, you won't regret it.
    I really hope there is some way to restore the fingerprint scanner function, since I tried to upgrade my smartphone to use the "Black Magic 5G" Beta ROM to make it more stable, and I ended up breaking the FP scanner in the process.
    Also seems like Nubia has no intention of even letting me RMA the phone since I contacted them almost a week ago and they gave me a bogus response today and just closed my support ticket. What the fug? :eek:

i purchased the redmagic 5g hoping at least the basics in the software.
    now i am returnig this device. Most of the Bugs are already listed in the list. Some of them are such basic functions that a normal person cannot even think about the situation that there could be a device with this hardware and without these functions, like face unlock, like changing the launcher, like chaning the caller app and and and.

Here is my list of BUGS about the software department:
    1 - To sell a redmagic 5g with this great nonsense software is as like as making a brand new car like a porsche carrera GT without touchless opening the car. every time you have to use a physical key.

2 - a greater nonsense and lack of common sense i found nowhere. Even psychiatric clinics are treating their patients BUT the software department of Nubia Redmagic is doing all this openly and are not being sentenced.

3 - Even emails i wrote them are answered in the manner that i could through my laptop out of window. Like you ask them a question of mathmatics and they answer you biology.

4 - i really want to know the mental damage name of this common disease in nubia software department. can we cure this?

5 - Even a neurosurgeon will have great difficulties to find any brain in their skulls. but may be he could make burhole and pump some fresh air in the skull, it could help.

6 - God cannot bless them. The damage is greater than the power of God.

7 - there was great potential in this device to beat up all other smartphones. just the software department was not smart enough to do anything. may be they got diarrhea and their smartness went out of them.

i this sense, i say bye bye forever to nubia and zte. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

To be fair, your complaints are things a normal person wouldn't care about.

99% of phone users will never change a launcher or dialer and the vast majority will not use fsce unlock

Regardless, those are ALL things that you CAN do on the phone now.
    thanks for testing.
    which rom are you using?

I am using the global version 4.05.

THIS! EXACTLY! Funny people who bought this phone and are now upset about the state of the software. They should have done their due diligence and researched the XDA forums of the Red Magic 3 and 3S to find that the software on those phones is also TRASH and even more so, that they were only updated ONCE! They launched with Pie and a ton of bugs, and they'll die with Pie and ton of bugs!

Yeah, I choose this device because of his gross power. The only thing that really bothers me is the problem with the 5GHz band connection.
    The other multiple things sure they are a pain in the ass, and they even made me contemplate the return of the device (because you have 15 days to do it).
    But we are trying to show them the problems the device has, to have some feedback and support them to do it as fast as possible.
    Source code

https://gizchina.it/2020/05/red-magic-5g-via-al-modding-codice-sorgente-kernel-download/

The source code is now available. Hopefully the first custom rom will come out soon.