[HOW-TO][WORKAROUND] Use GApps on the Nubia X

Search This thread

Teeemoo

Nov 29, 2018
ompan.net
Guys, please check your phone version before downloading the toolkit - dont use 2.19 toolkit on 2.21 phone-version! I don't know why everyone is killing their phone right now! This is not an easy-to-do tutorial! It requires time and at least a bit knowledge. Please read this carefully - use google for the most important words and start after understanding everything! I won't help via PM when you 'bricked' your phone!

Welcome to the WIP Tutorial "How to use GApps on the Nubia X"!
Keep in mind this is a workaround and should not be the official way in how to do it! Im not taking any responsibility if anything goes horribly wrong :eek:

Understood? Let's go then!

STEP 1 - Preparation
We need to prepare the phone now.
Note: This is mandatory for the rest to work

• Unlock the Developer options by going to Settings ►About phone ►Rapidly tapping on the "Build number" field until the phone returns "You are an developer".
  • Go to Settings ► Other system settings ►Developer options - and change the state of "OEM Unlocking" to ON.
  • Again in Settings ► Other system settings ►Developer options enable "USB Debugging"
  • Now, you need to prepare your PC (in short: install adb). Please Google this on your own ("How to install adb on {your OS}").

Alright, we are done with the phone for now.
Let's go to the downloads!

Great job so far.
Now, we can start doing dev-things ;)!

STEP 3 - Let the magic happen! (ROOT)
Note: this is the part where we change system files. Please continue at your own risk! If you don't know what a root is you should better not do that.
Note: I don't own this toolkit. The source is linked above. I would recommend translating the original page source and reading throgh it. Source

Alrighty then? Damn, ur edgy.

• Plug in your phone and wait until it gets recognized by your OS.
  • Extract the "nubia-root.zip", go into nubia-Root ► nubia-X, and run the "nubia-X_Root-V211.exe" with admin priv.
  • We don't understand nothing, because it is a chinese source... But according to the original thread, close (X) the first window that appears.
  • You will now see a window with "(Random text) ROOT"-Button on the right. After you click it, you'll get a log output of what your phone is doing via ADB.
  • Finished? You will see "Success" at the bottom including some weird characters. Lmao #chineseprograms.

What happened right now?
Well your phone is rooted. The program archived this by flashing a partition on your phone with adb.
First, it unlocked it (see my dev thread for more infos) and after that it flashed the bootimage. In short.

Now boot back into your phone and continue your journey!

STEP 4 - Installing apks on the phone

Remember all these apk's you have downloaded before?
We are going to use them now.

• Make sure your phone is still plugged in. We are using 'adb' now so open up a command-prompt / powershell / bash.
  • The syntax is the following: "adb install NameOfTheFile.apk" - do this with every downloaded apk. Example: "adb install /home/user/link2sd.apk".

STEP 5 - Install GApps

Now the fun part.
We are going to install the required Google Apps as a normal user.
IMPORTANT: Don't run any of the Google Apps after you see them on your phone. I know you are hyped but its not time to do this right now.

• Run the App called "谷歌安装器" (or the app with a playstore-like symbol). You will see a screen with chinese text and a blue button.
  • Click the blue button - the app will now download every GApp you need. After every download you will be prompted to install the app - confirm this and deny any Nubia tips for "hey you can download a newer app". Just install it like a normal app.
  • If you encounter the "unknown source"-error, follow the instructions on the device (or google "how to enable install apps from unknown sources").

Thats it! Wohoo.
Well no.
Please restart your phone, before continue!

STEP 6 - Make GApps powerful (using Link2SD)

Well I didn't found a better way as making the GApps System right now.
Because we don't have access to TWRP (right now ;D), this is the way to go.

I assume you have Link2SD installed (if not, go to Step 4 and install Link2SD!).

• Open up Link2SD and click on the three dots located in the upper right hand corner.
  • Click "Search" and type in "Google". You will see a bunch of applications there but we only care about some of them.
  • We will use the following procedure: Click on the searchresult ► Click on the three dots ► "Convert to system app" ► Confirm. (It might be called somewhat with "system" in it, if you dont find it).
  • Do this procedure with the following apps: "Google Service Framework", "Google Play Store", "Google Play Service", "Google Contacts Sync", "Google Calendar Sync" and "Google Account Manager".
  • Done? Restart your device again. (You can do that by clicking on the side-menu of Link2SD ► Reboot ► Reboot.

Well, you are an official hacker now... Well not really.
But you did something which is not that easy.

If you want to learn more or if you have any questions left contact me on discord (My ID: Captain Teemo#9394).

And if you are happy with the result, consider my time writing this for you and drop me a coffee: https://paypal.me/THeckel - your awesome!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your nubia - as you want!

Last edited:

br_other

May 24, 2011
@Teeemoo, most of the people will do that for first time. It will be good to include:

BE SURE THAT THE PHONE VERSION MATCHES THE VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE!
The described process up it's only of v2.11. For v2.19 and up you need the corresponding tool.
If you ignore that, you risk to soft brick your phone.

1. Magisk and Xposit will be loaded on the phone - do not play at any cost with them (upgrade or stuff). That will put your phone on a boot loop. I know it form personal experience. To fix that it's a bit tricky.
2. When you start the root - be sure that your phone is unlocked. Watch it when it ask permissions.
3. Moving apps with Link2SD can be tricky as well. The app will be moved to /system partition and it's limited. Also if you promote and demote app, doesn't mean that you'll get the same space on /system again. There is option to do that, but need some expertise level.
4. Abut when the GApps to be set at system - after the reboot or before it - I'm not that sure. For me was working the option only after the root. For that reason, preload the Link2SD in advance.
5. v2.19 root reports a virus inside. If you're afraid to open it, then use a sandbox for that purpose (shade sandbox is pretty ok for that purpose).

Last edited:

nuvocell

Dec 11, 2018
root issues

Hi
thank you to make a tutorial about rooting the phone :) i did everything you said in step 1 and 2 but iv'e had a issues with the reboot this is the picture of my phone right now :( do i need to reinstall the factory firmware ? thank you in advance

Hugo
LsBP4ygsGJYomJXb7

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

I tried flashing the new software for google play service and i got an error
your device is corrupt
I followed the steps to the tutorial and failed anyone can help me reload oem software on the phone thanks

br_other

May 24, 2011
Wait, what?
You got in the boot-loop?

No why. I told you what to NOT to do :)

PM to explain you how to recover.

Teeemoo

Nov 29, 2018
ompan.net
Hi
thank you to make a tutorial about rooting the phone :) i did everything you said in step 1 and 2 but iv'e had a issues with the reboot this is the picture of my phone right now :( do i need to reinstall the factory firmware ? thank you in advance

Hugo
LsBP4ygsGJYomJXb7

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

I tried flashing the new software for google play service and i got an error
your device is corrupt
I followed the steps to the tutorial and failed anyone can help me reload oem software on the phone thanks

Hey hugo, did you update the phone before doing the tutorial?
The picture is not loading, btw. You might upload it to an image uploader and send the link here.

Here you can download the official rom

q8falcon

Dec 12, 2018
Hey,

I did everything but at the end when i open the play store i just got an endless loading !!

Pls help <3

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Hey,

I did everything but at the end when i open the play store i just got an endless loading !!

Pls help <3

Solved : passed "Google play services" in "Link2SD" by mistake.

Thanks for the great job :good::good::good:

nuvocell

Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply , i did not have an update to do on the phone, i used the chinese software to root first like mentionned in the tutporial , then phone went into device corrupted ,
now im trying to install the oem firmware on the phone im trying with smart flash tool , but in the nx616j update file has no map.txt file
what can i do to reload oem software on the phone?

br_other

May 24, 2011
There are 2 versions for the software.
One of them has a single button on the right side with strange symbols and "root" in between.
The other one has 2 buttons - one is with "root" and the other "fastboot" in between.
If your phone is in boot-loop and before you do something stupid hard-core.
Reboot the phone in fastboot - long hold power, then when restarts - volume down + power.
You may need few restarts before stabilize it in fastboot.
Then use that second software and press the button which has label "fastboot" in the text.
Restart and you have to be ok :)

Reactions: christis

nuvocell

Dec 11, 2018
Simple fix.
Do what I told you. Read my pervious post.

I read but it's not so clear you mentioned something like 2 programs witch program are you referring too?. Also if you saw my picture I think the software must been reinstalled. I normally works with Samsung and having all the software to fix it but Nubia it's something new for me . Thank you very much for your help. :)

Teeemoo

Nov 29, 2018
ompan.net
Br_other refers to the original Chinese link (see the tutorial there is the link somewhere).

The new tool includes a fastboot option.
Try to get the new download, otherwise I will reupload it later.

Otherwise:
Your bootloader is unlocked and a wrong bootimage was flashed.
So basically to repair you need to get into fastboot or recovery by pressing (phone must be off) volume down or up with the power button simultaneously.

If this still works you can download the official firmware, extract the boot.img out there and reflash it with ADB.

Basically adb flash boot boot.img

jericosb

Dec 14, 2018
Hello. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

I have finished all the steps, however when I open playstore, stuck at "checking info" status. What could have I done Wong? Or missed any.

dDhmnSV

Thanks

Last edited:

nuvocell

Dec 11, 2018
phone is brick now

Hi guys

let me explain you whats going on with my phone ... But first i would like to thanks @Teeemoo and @br_other they've helping me a lot with my rooting issues but since then my phone is in boot loop mode and i can't use anymore:( I read everywhere on the net to found a solution but it's seems to not having anything works!!!! To do a short story my phone was working fine with the chinese rom but was useless without google play services. i was waiting every day for a root or global rom to flashed. Last week i receive a OTA software update version 2.19 so i did the update. 2 days ago i saw a post with all the instructions to root the phone and install the google framework with working apps in the main pages, not like the stupid sand box that was terrible to use. I followed the instruction and root the phone . After the root complete the phone reboot in bootloop mode and with no way to recovery my original software. I've posted my issues in this forum and get help from 2 member mentioned above. They told me to found the other root file with fastboot recovery it was really hard to found because the link is not active anymore but i finally found and install. I've put my phone in fast boot mode and try to recovery but i always had the same error message see the pictures attached. I decide to do more researched on the net and i found a way to install the boot loader IMG using ADB command . I try to install but i realize by making some test that my bootloader is not unlocked so i'm not able to install the image . I d'ont know what can i do now but i think i will throw my phone out the windows .......

sorry for my english is not my primary language :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_153437.jpg
    IMG_20181212_153437.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20181213_160114.jpg
    IMG_20181213_160114.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_20181213_123619.jpg
    IMG_20181213_123619.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20181213_160425.jpg
    IMG_20181213_160425.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

Teeemoo

Nov 29, 2018
ompan.net
Hi guys

let me explain you whats going on with my phone ... But first i would like to thanks @Teeemoo and @br-other they've helping me a lot with my rooting issues but since then my phone is in boot loop mode and i can't use anymore:( I read everywhere on the net to found a solution but it's seems to not having anything works!!!! To do a short story my phone was working fine with the chinese rom but was useless without google play services. i was waiting every day for a root or global rom to flashed. Last week i receive a OTA software update version 2.19 so i did the update. 2 days ago i saw a post with all the instructions to root the phone and install the google framework with working apps in the main pages, not like the stupid sand box that was terrible to use. I followed the instruction and root the phone . After the root complete the phone reboot in bootloop mode and with no way to recovery my original software. I've posted my issues in this forum and get help from 2 member mentioned above. They told me to found the other root file with fastboot recovery it was really hard to found because the link is not active anymore but i finally found and install. I've put my phone in fast boot mode and try to recovery but i always had the same error message see the pictures attached. I decide to do more researched on the net and i found a way to install the boot loader IMG using ADB command . I try to install but i realize by making some test that my bootloader is not unlocked so i'm not able to install the image . I d'ont know what can i do now but i think i will throw my phone out the windows .......

sorry for my english is not my primary language :)

Try this via ADB:
Code:
fastboot oem nubia_unlock NUBIA_NX616J

and then
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

nuvocell

Dec 11, 2018
Because you need to replace the 'boot.img' part with the location of ur boot.img file.
If you don't have the boot image, tell me and I will extract it for you.

Cheers
let me explain you what i did . i download the oem firmware and extract it then i took the boot image file and copy to the C drive and replace the name by recovery.img. is that is correct ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys, please check your phone version before downloading the toolkit - dont use 2.19 toolkit on 2.21 phone-version! I don't know why everyone is killing their phone right now! This is not an easy-to-do tutorial! It requires time and at least a bit knowledge. Please read this carefully - use google for the most important words and start after understanding everything! I won't help via PM when you 'bricked' your phone!

Welcome to the WIP Tutorial "How to use GApps on the Nubia X"!
    Keep in mind this is a workaround and should not be the official way in how to do it! Im not taking any responsibility if anything goes horribly wrong :eek:

Understood? Let's go then!

STEP 1 - Preparation
    We need to prepare the phone now.
    Note: This is mandatory for the rest to work

• Unlock the Developer options by going to Settings ►About phone ►Rapidly tapping on the "Build number" field until the phone returns "You are an developer".
    • Go to Settings ► Other system settings ►Developer options - and change the state of "OEM Unlocking" to ON.
    • Again in Settings ► Other system settings ►Developer options enable "USB Debugging"
    • Now, you need to prepare your PC (in short: install adb). Please Google this on your own ("How to install adb on {your OS}").

Alright, we are done with the phone for now.
    Let's go to the downloads!

Great job so far.
    Now, we can start doing dev-things ;)!

STEP 3 - Let the magic happen! (ROOT)
    Note: this is the part where we change system files. Please continue at your own risk! If you don't know what a root is you should better not do that.
    Note: I don't own this toolkit. The source is linked above. I would recommend translating the original page source and reading throgh it. Source

Alrighty then? Damn, ur edgy.

• Plug in your phone and wait until it gets recognized by your OS.
    • Extract the "nubia-root.zip", go into nubia-Root ► nubia-X, and run the "nubia-X_Root-V211.exe" with admin priv.
    • We don't understand nothing, because it is a chinese source... But according to the original thread, close (X) the first window that appears.
    • You will now see a window with "(Random text) ROOT"-Button on the right. After you click it, you'll get a log output of what your phone is doing via ADB.
    • Finished? You will see "Success" at the bottom including some weird characters. Lmao #chineseprograms.

What happened right now?
    Well your phone is rooted. The program archived this by flashing a partition on your phone with adb.
    First, it unlocked it (see my dev thread for more infos) and after that it flashed the bootimage. In short.

Now boot back into your phone and continue your journey!

STEP 4 - Installing apks on the phone

Remember all these apk's you have downloaded before?
    We are going to use them now.

• Make sure your phone is still plugged in. We are using 'adb' now so open up a command-prompt / powershell / bash.
    • The syntax is the following: "adb install NameOfTheFile.apk" - do this with every downloaded apk. Example: "adb install /home/user/link2sd.apk".

STEP 5 - Install GApps

Now the fun part.
    We are going to install the required Google Apps as a normal user.
    IMPORTANT: Don't run any of the Google Apps after you see them on your phone. I know you are hyped but its not time to do this right now.

• Run the App called "谷歌安装器" (or the app with a playstore-like symbol). You will see a screen with chinese text and a blue button.
    • Click the blue button - the app will now download every GApp you need. After every download you will be prompted to install the app - confirm this and deny any Nubia tips for "hey you can download a newer app". Just install it like a normal app.
    • If you encounter the "unknown source"-error, follow the instructions on the device (or google "how to enable install apps from unknown sources").

Thats it! Wohoo.
    Well no.
    Please restart your phone, before continue!

STEP 6 - Make GApps powerful (using Link2SD)

Well I didn't found a better way as making the GApps System right now.
    Because we don't have access to TWRP (right now ;D), this is the way to go.

I assume you have Link2SD installed (if not, go to Step 4 and install Link2SD!).

• Open up Link2SD and click on the three dots located in the upper right hand corner.
    • Click "Search" and type in "Google". You will see a bunch of applications there but we only care about some of them.
    • We will use the following procedure: Click on the searchresult ► Click on the three dots ► "Convert to system app" ► Confirm. (It might be called somewhat with "system" in it, if you dont find it).
    • Do this procedure with the following apps: "Google Service Framework", "Google Play Store", "Google Play Service", "Google Contacts Sync", "Google Calendar Sync" and "Google Account Manager".
    • Done? Restart your device again. (You can do that by clicking on the side-menu of Link2SD ► Reboot ► Reboot.

Well, you are an official hacker now... Well not really.
    But you did something which is not that easy.

If you want to learn more or if you have any questions left contact me on discord (My ID: Captain Teemo#9394).

And if you are happy with the result, consider my time writing this for you and drop me a coffee: https://paypal.me/THeckel - your awesome!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your nubia - as you want!
    To solve notification and unstable apps issues, I'm looking into system and I found Nubia's process-freezer in boot sequence. I'd like to kill them.

init.rc
    --
    # nubia add for process-freeze
    mkdir /dev/freezer
    mount cgroup none /dev/freezer freezer
    chown system system /dev/freezer
    chown system system /dev/freezer/tasks
    chmod 0666 /dev/freezer/tasks
    mkdir /dev/freezer/bg
    chown system system /dev/freezer/bg/tasks
    chmod 0666 /dev/freezer/bg/tasks
    write /dev/freezer/bg/freezer.state FROZEN
    # nubia add end
    --

init.rom.rc
    --
    #Nubia add for freezer
    service freezerd /system/bin/freezerd
    class main
    user root
    group root
    start freezerd
    #Nubia add end
    --

Does someone have an experience to modify boot.img, repack it and flash? Is it possible to flash changed ROM?

I haven't tried this so I'd like to know before trying.

Or I'd like to kill this service if possible.

I deleted /system/bin/freezerd and now I can keep background process arive during sleep.
    I confirmed I kept google play services more than 2 hours (probably permanent. previously around 10 minutes) and I got notification after an hour sleep without charging!!

I'm expecting this have also solved apps crash problem.
    Before doing that I had never kept LINE messanger's call more than 10 minutes but now I confirmed it can continue 40 minutes.
    You were right the Root was not successful even though it appeared to be, problem was I didn't except anything since I had my phone screen off when I rooted it. Rookie mistake! Everything works like a charm now, I cant thank you enough for all you have done for the people here.

Hehe - Glad I could help.
    I will make a simpler Tutorial as soon as TWRP is released for the phone.
    (And guess what, im the only person developing it :eek:).

Well thanks for the kind words!

Cheers :highfive:
    I deleted /system/bin/freezerd and now I can keep background process arive during sleep.
    I confirmed I kept google play services more than 2 hours (probably permanent. previously around 10 minutes) and I got notification after an hour sleep without charging!!

I'm expecting this have also solved apps crash problem.
    Before doing that I had never kept LINE messanger's call more than 10 minutes but now I confirmed it can continue 40 minutes.

I'm sorry about that, only this is not enough.
    You have to do both of below.
    -Delete /system/bin/freezerd
    -Disable Neosafe service

I disabled all Neosafe service by Service disabler.
    I hadn't noticed this is also necessary because I tried this before and only this is not effective so I thought it's no mean.
    Thanks Zencooler !
    We agree about the tool, I got it on post #56 in page #6 as the your.
    Then I think my phone is not in the right state to be rooted !
    I installed minimal adb, but I just have to power off the phone or to put it in a special boot mode, or I have to launch a cmd adb command before ?

To make this magic using the root tool your phone should properly use ADB connections and - what is more important - fastboot mode.
    So first of all you can check if your phone is connected to the PC and visible from ADB commands by checking the command:
    adb devices
    Then you will see the number of your device or nothing (if it is not properly connected to use ADB)
    If everything's OK then you can check the fastboot mode (if it works) via command:
    adb reboot bootloader
    this restart your phone into fastboot mode. If you are connected to the PC you can check if this mode works properly via command:
    fastboot devices
    If should show your device or nothing (if it is not properly connected to use fastboot)
    To exit fastboot mode you can use command:
    fastboot reboot
    If both modes: ADB and fastboot are working OK you can use the root tool to do the magic.
    Regards.