FORUMS

[ROM] [OFFICIAL/UNOFFICIAL] Cyanogenmod 13.0 for Shield Portable

1,251 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,824

By Steel01, Recognized Developer on 28th February 2015, 12:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.0.x (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */
CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github Repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit our Gerrit Code Review. Your changelog is whatever was merged into gerrit.

Instructions:
1. First time flashing CyanogenMod 13.0 your device, or coming from another ROM?
2. Download the zip(s).
3. Install a compatible Recovery
4. Perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM (Optional)
5. Wipe data & cache partitions of your device
6. Flash CyanogenMod.
7. Optional: Install the Google Apps addon package.

Firmware Update:
If you have not installed the latest stock ota, then some firmware files need updated. The following flashable zips will update the bootloader and the dtb corresponding with the listed stock version. Only the latest one listed here will be supported by recent CM builds.

Official Nightly Downloads:
get.cm
GAPPS

Unofficial Downloads with Nvidia App Support (CM 12.1):

Bugreport:
Report in this thread. CM's JIRA is only for stable builds, which I have not released.

Known Problems:
Only the power button seems to wake the device.
Wireless controller doesn't work.

Source Code:
https://github.com/CM-Shield/android_device_nvidia_roth
https://github.com/CM-Shield/android_kernel_nvidia_roth

XDA:DevDB Information
CM13.0 Unofficial Roth, ROM for the Nvidia Shield

Contributors
Steel01, Unjustified Dev
ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-02-28
Last Updated 2016-03-15
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Steel01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2015, 09:23 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
sweet - since I'm not using most of the quicksettings on the stock shield I can finally get rid of most of them without installing xposed and gravity box...
but right now its missing the buttons-menu in the settings - so you cant configure the power menu or any of that stuff.
still, the bootup time is amazing on this thing compared to stock...
2nd March 2015, 05:46 AM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3pwn

Sweet! Does this have the stuff I sent to @Unjustified Dev? (Setting volume button as volume down)

No, this build does nothing with the volume button. What I'd like to see it do is bring up the volume widget without changing the volume which would be as similar to stock as I can figure, but I don't see a way to do that. You can change that pretty easily locally, if you want that on your install.

@Spleeno: I expect that has to do with upstream cm. I didn't turn off any settins and I don't think Unjustified Dev did either. I know upstream was still working on forward porting all of 11's features last I looked. I don't know where they're at on that now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2015, 05:50 AM |#5  
Also, if it helps at all, it's possible to disable the LED by running (as root) "echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/roth-led/brightness". (This was a setting on stock, not sure if you guys want to re-add it in.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel01

No, this build does nothing with the volume button. What I'd like to see it do is bring up the volume widget without changing the volume which would be as similar to stock as I can figure, but I don't see a way to do that. You can change that pretty easily locally, if you want that on your install

I had mine set to Volume down for a couple reasons:
1. When tapped once, it would pull up the volume menu (and lower volume by one step, but not a huge issue)
2. When held with the power button, it takes a screenshot (that's what happened on stock, too)
3. Holding it down mutes it, if for some reason you needed to quickly mute the device.
2nd March 2015, 06:07 AM |#6  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3pwn

Also, if it helps at all, it's possible to disable the LED by running (as root) "echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/roth-led/brightness". (This was a setting on stock, not sure if you guys want to re-add it in.)

I had mine set to Volume down for a couple reasons:
1. When tapped once, it would pull up the volume menu (and lower volume by one step, but not a huge issue)
2. When held with the power button, it takes a screenshot (that's what happened on stock, too)
3. Holding it down mutes it, if for some reason you needed to quickly mute the device.

For the first, I'd want to leave that to user choice. Wonder how hard it would be to add that to the settings section. Can you even add setting pages from the device tree without modifying upstream?

On the second, you might have me convinced there. I'll change it on mine next time I'm poking at it. And will probably change it in the tree unless something weird pops out.

There's several more things I want to look at porting over. Console mode looks to be really easy. At least in basic form. There's a couple props to force hdmi only and resolution. Only problem is if the cable is unplugged, it wont automatically switch back over. The wireless controller is another, but more difficult. I got the apps to run, but they errored out. I have a couple more ideas to try, but haven't got there yet. Took a break over the weekend, but should be back at it tomorrow night.
2nd March 2015, 10:12 AM |#7  
Quote:

For the first, I'd want to leave that to user choice. Wonder how hard it would be to add that to the settings section. Can you even add setting pages from the device tree without modifying upstream?

I'm not sure. I'll have to take a look. Anything is possible with overlays, though, right? :P
Absolute worst case scenario, I'll make an app with a few misc. things like this to gain some functionality back from stock.

And while we're in the spirit of discussing rom-related components, I have a bug report: Attempting to use Nvidia's GRID Streaming service results in only the audio going through. (Not sure if that affects PC streaming, as my PC is nowhere near powerful enough to test)
And also,
There seems to be some weird issue with storage. Either apps aren't getting moved to the sdcard when told or the system is factoring them into the internal storage space calculation anyways. (I'll get back to you on this one, it isn't too hard to test to figure it out.)

Quote:

Took a break over the weekend, but should be back at it tomorrow night.

Alright. No rush, take as long of a break as you need!
2nd March 2015, 04:56 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:

I expect that has to do with upstream cm. I didn't turn off any settins and I don't think Unjustified Dev did either. I know upstream was still working on forward porting all of 11's features last I looked. I don't know where they're at on that now.

Hm, I'm running the 20150223 cm12 nightly on my z3 compact and it already has the button menu - I wouldnt have expected/noticed with some of the early january builds ofc
2nd March 2015, 05:20 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer

More
So I started a proper post with quotes and all, but the android keyboard or textbox edit thing in Firefox did something weird and ate my post. And there's no undo... So this is my shorter and more miffed second attempt.

@Spleeno: My bad, I see that on my Nexus 5 now. I'll compare my dev tree with the N5's and see what the difference in that area is.

@r3pwn: On the Grid issue: I confirmed that this morning, but didn't have much time to look at the logs. I saw something about missing codecs, but that was at the top and maybe not related. I'll look more into it tonight. It could well be a worse underlying problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2015, 06:03 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
@Steel01 man thanks so much for your initiative, i'm happy to see a custom rom o my shield and its working great, i have tested with retroarch nightly and ppsspp nightly and its working awesome.

if its possible until you define the function to volume button i think you can change from program_red to button_select to at least we can use on the emulators

another thing i have noticed the volume button on original shield rom is 109 on you rom is 183

thanks for your time and thanks so much for the custom rom!

update:

other things i have noticed
when we make a fresh installation the shield don't have the mtp option checked
we have a vibration option on sound menu (i dont know if this make some erros on system if enable/disable)
if the kernel have the option Prism from nvidia its possible to put on display using the adaptive brightness ( /sys/class/graphics/fb0/device/smartdimmer/enable)

thanks again
3rd March 2015, 02:55 AM |#11  
I looked at the sdcard issue. It appears that only the app is getting transferred over,not any obbs that belong to the app. You can move those manually, but that's not very user-friendly. :P
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)