[ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Portable

Search This thread

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions :
  • Download the latest build and gapps
  • Reboot to recovery
  • Flash the latest build and gapps
  • Reboot
Downloads :
Reporting Bugs
  • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
  • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
  • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
  • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
What is your--
LineageOS version:
LineageOS Download url:
Gapps version:

Did you--
wipe:
 restore with titanium backup:
reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
LineageOS for the Shield Portable, ROM for the Nvidia Shield

Contributors
Steel01
Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 13.0

Created 2017-02-25
Last Updated 2017-02-25

edtide25

Jul 2, 2009
Wow nice work! Thanks for porting Lineage OS to Nvidia Shield Portable. So before I want to do download and install it... Does everything work? The Nvidia controller, Power button, etc?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Wow nice work! Thanks for porting Lineage OS to Nvidia Shield Portable. So before I want to do download and install it... Does everything work? The Nvidia controller, Power button, etc?
All the hardware works, yes. Some of the software features aren't ported like touch mapping for the gamepad, wireless controller support, gamestream, etc. But for the normal use cases I have of retroarch, a handful of controller enabled native games, and kodi, everything works beautifully. So, depends on your use cases.

Reactions: edtide25

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
This is a normal build. Probably won't do atv for officials unless the userbase really asks for it. Need to fix gapps before that would even be considered, though. Only 32 installs atm, and half of them are probably me testing.

So, haven't had a bootloop on the new build myself. Anyone having any troubles at all? Seeming really solid to me finally.

stuken

Jun 25, 2010
When using snes9x ex the performance is way down in comparison to nvidia update 110. The screen refresh rate as reported in the emulator is 48.85hz. If that's correct its far too low.
In addition there appears to be another bug where ui animations stutter and loop back a few frames on themselves. Not sure if this is related to the apparent refresh rate issue.
I would also like to chime in on the possibility of an atv build. Without the right stick mouse functionality of the stock firmware the tv interface makes a whole lot more sense.

Thanks for the build and the work you've put in on this and fixing nvidia messes over the years.

Diego9000

May 6, 2014
That's great to know!! :D

Once they manage to port the touchmapper and some other software from this device to it, I'm pretty sure to stick with it forever.
I'm using lineage at my MotoG3 and i'm lovng git!!

JazzMartian

Feb 10, 2015
Nvidia Shield
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Thanks for this. I just installed it. I had been running your 12.1 CM ROM the last week. I decided to try it out after had enough of the buggy stock ROM. I would install apps, and they would (seemingly) randomly disappear. I would install them over and over again. Anyways, your custom builds of CM/Lineage have been working beautifully.

The only thing that I'm really missing is the gamepad touch mapper. I know you've said that you don't use it, but it seriously hurts not having it, because you can so quickly and easily make most touchpad only games work so quickly and easily.

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
The only thing that I'm really missing is the gamepad touch mapper. I know you've said that you don't use it, but it seriously hurts not having it, because you can so quickly and easily make most touchpad only games work so quickly and easily.
The problem is that Nvidia's touch mapper is mostly in the stock framework. That's code I don't have access to and even if I was interested in trying, I don't have near the time needed to try and recreate it. And tincore is still an option. I know it's a major pain to set up, but it does work.

JazzMartian

Feb 10, 2015
Nvidia Shield
Samsung Galaxy S10+
The problem is that Nvidia's touch mapper is mostly in the stock framework. That's code I don't have access to and even if I was interested in trying, I don't have near the time needed to try and recreate it. And tincore is still an option. I know it's a major pain to set up, but it does work.

Gotcha. What a shame. I guess Tincore Mapper it is. It seems like something that probably is really awesome, once you invest the time into learning it. There's probably way more in depth options and things you can do with it, than Nvidia's mapper (but I'll still miss the ease and convenience lol).

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Well, good news. I actually got the portable to boot N / 14.1. Bad news. It's a jerky mess. I took the advice of one of the other Tegra 4 devs and stuffed the blobs from the Jide Ultratablet in there. Flipped a couple flags, and voila, it boots. No sound, no touch, and quite jerky. But at least I finally found a graphics stack that works. I can work with that, find out which specific pieces I need to pull of the graphics stack and leave the other Roth stuff in place. Should be able to make it usable. No guarentees on when, but I'll keep working on it.

Reactions: fr500

painkiller_93

Jan 5, 2012
Valladolid
Is it somehow possible in this rom tu use nvidia's shield hub app to use gamestream and geforce now? When you install and run the app those options dissapear from the app. I know I can use moonlight to stream, just curious why it doesn't work on this rom, maybe the app detects that it's not an official firmware and disables it or some libraries missing?

Steel01

Recognized Developer
Dec 14, 2008
Lineage is the continuation of CM. No one is working on CM anymore.
@danny_boi: Unfortunately flashing from CM to Lineage official builds will require a wipe due to a change in signing keys. Then you want the 13.0 arm su zip and one of the arm 6.0 opengapps packages. I personally use micro, which I also believe is the largest that will fit on this devices small system partition.

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
Is it somehow possible in this rom tu use nvidia's shield hub app to use gamestream and geforce now? When you install and run the app those options dissapear from the app. I know I can use moonlight to stream, just curious why it doesn't work on this rom, maybe the app detects that it's not an official firmware and disables it or some libraries missing?

Try installing nvidia games from google play.

Hello about to flash this rom and wanted to findout if the shield hub works as this is not mentioned when I searched. Does installing nvidia games from Google play work please?

painkiller_93

Jan 5, 2012
Valladolid
Hello about to flash this rom and wanted to findout if the shield hub works as this is not mentioned when I searched. Does installing nvidia games from Google play work please?

You can install the app from the play store but it won't show you the options to use gamestream or geforce now. If you want to use gamestream you can install moonlight app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Instructions :
    • Download the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Flash the latest build and gapps
    • Reboot
    Downloads :
    Reporting Bugs
    • DO NOT Report bugs if you're running a custom kernel or you installed Xposed
    • Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /sys/fs/pstore/console_ramoops. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. Please also do not report known issues. Any bug not reported in the bug report format below may be ignored.

Code:
    What is your--
    LineageOS version:
    LineageOS Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS for the Shield Portable, ROM for the Nvidia Shield

Contributors
    Steel01
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 13.0

Created 2017-02-25
    Last Updated 2017-02-25
    Afaik, it doesn't throttle. The fan keeps up fairly well.

So, I didn't make the deadline I wanted to. The issue being I can't make the speaker work consistently. Headphones and bluetooth work, but nothing from the speaker most times. Boot up 13.0 and speaker works fine. I'm confused... But I'll keep working on it as I can. Just had a breakthrough with the other shield device on O, so I'll be splitting time. Not giving up on Roth yet, though. I'll make something work.
    So, I got a tad further than I expected tonight before the weekend goes crazy. These still aren't what I'd consider really usable, but they're at least testable. The main issue I know of is that hardware video decoding still doesn't work. The interface is also rather skippy still, though the atv build seems better than the tablet build. Also, on the atv build, there's no way to turn the volume back up after turning it down with the one volume button we have without using adb or an external controller. But if anyone is interested, here's a couple builds to play with.

lineage-14.1-20171013-UNOFFICIAL-roth-atv.zip
    lineage-14.1-20171013-UNOFFICIAL-roth-tablet.zip
    New download links for everyone :) I'll upload more if I find more.

https://androidfilehost.com/f/shield
    The official build do still have that issue. The last 13.0 build will be soon as well.

So, current status. Still haven't got the speakers to play right on 14.1. And everything is about to shift to 15.1 now. So, I'm going to basically scrap working on 14.1 and go to 15.1. I don't even have it booting yet, but it shouldn't be to hard once I finish up everything for foster and shieldtablet. Now, I can't guarantee it'll be usable, unfortunately. I was pretty confident on 14.1 until the blasted amp bit me in the face. So, I honestly don't know what I'll be able to achieve on O. But I'm going to give it a shot.