FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Missing libthermalioctl.so on Omni 6.0 (2016-03-14)

622 posts
Thanks Meter: 378

By Fif_, Senior Member on 14th March 2016, 10:16 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The Issue
If you experience issues on Omni 6 on hammerhead, there is a missing file in /vendor/lib that causes runtime linking failures for /system/bin/thermal-engine-hh.
As a result, your system won't be doing thermal management properly and will feel laggy and possibly unstable.
All recent hammerhead omni builds (last checked on 2016-03-14) are missing the /system/vendor/lib/libthermalioctl.so library that is needed for thermal-engine-hh to work properly.

How to find if you are affected?
Run:
Code:
dmesg
If you see instances of:
Code:
init: Starting service 'thermal-engine'...
init: Service 'thermal-engine' (pid 8456) exited with status 1
init: Service 'thermal-engine' (pid 8456) killing any children in process group
Then your omni install is affected.

Work-around
I've opened an issue on the Omni Jira: http://jira.omnirom.org/browse/OMNI-1286
In the meantime, you can drop a recent /system/vendor/lib/libthermalioctl.so from CM13 or the stock ROM to make everything dandy again.

15th March 2016, 08:59 PM |#2  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,472

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif_

The Issue
If you experience issues on Omni 6 on hammerhead, there is a missing file in /vendor/lib that causes runtime linking failures for /system/bin/thermal-engine-hh.
As a result, your system won't be doing thermal management properly and will feel laggy and possibly unstable.
All recent hammerhead omni builds (last checked on 2016-03-14) are missing the /system/vendor/lib/libthermalioctl.so library that is needed for thermal-engine-hh to work properly.

How to find if you are affected?
Run:

Code:
dmesg
If you see instances of:
Code:
init: Starting service 'thermal-engine'...
init: Service 'thermal-engine' (pid 8456) exited with status 1
init: Service 'thermal-engine' (pid 8456) killing any children in process group
Then your omni install is affected.

Work-around
I've opened an issue on the Omni Jira: http://jira.omnirom.org/browse/OMNI-1286
In the meantime, you can drop a recent /system/vendor/lib/libthermalioctl.so from CM13 or the stock ROM to make everything dandy again.

I'll try to get Yassine's attention on this. (He's the new maintainer)

We had our previous HH maintainer disappear without warning, which is why nightlies were stopped for a period in February, looks like we keep on finding latent issues that were never addressed before.
15th March 2016, 09:16 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 378

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I'll try to get Yassine's attention on this. (He's the new maintainer)
We had our previous HH maintainer disappear without warning, which is why nightlies were stopped for a period in February, looks like we keep on finding latent issues that were never addressed before.

No worries, Yassine was very responsive and it looks like the issue is already fixed in Jira.
I also downloaded omni-6.0.1-20160315-hammerhead-NIGHTLY.zip and it's also fixed in there.

I wish there was a changelog service for Omni, but from my interaction so far with the Omni team, it took them less than 48 hours to fix that bug, so I only have praise for them.
16th March 2016, 08:42 PM |#4  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,472

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif_

No worries, Yassine was very responsive and it looks like the issue is already fixed in Jira.
I also downloaded omni-6.0.1-20160315-hammerhead-NIGHTLY.zip and it's also fixed in there.

I wish there was a changelog service for Omni, but from my interaction so far with the Omni team, it took them less than 48 hours to fix that bug, so I only have praise for them.

Someone used to do a changelog service, I never used it and just looked at the gerrit merge history (which of course doesn't handle items merged to our vendor blobs repos... damn legal grey arease...)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)