FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Request]List for the set of supported devices which will be recieving Android 'L'

2,238 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,544

Post Reply Email Thread
As the title says, it'd be great if there was an updated list with the supported device which will be recieving 'L' from Omni.

17th September 2014, 08:32 PM |#2  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,474

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokulbalram

As the title says, it'd be great if there was an updated list with the supported device which will be recieving 'L' from Omni.

There won't be, since L is not out and we have no idea what changes it is going to entail from a device support perspective.

As far as devices that are likely to receive "focus" from the team - Oppos and the Sony Xperia Z family. (Probably Z1/ZU also) - Because of how well Oppo and Sony have treated the open source community, in general, team members are more motivated to grab "older" devices they don't use any more in order to work on them.

However here's a list of devices that are likely to be dropped:

All Exynos 4210 devices (i777/n7000/i9100) - No active maintainers remain for these devices, they've been on minimal life support for two years now since Exynos-gate and the Superbrick fiasco of 2012.
I9300 - No active maintainer

Unknowns:
N80xx - Of 3 maintainers, the only one who remains is Humberto and he's kinda spread thin. So highly likely to get removed.
maguro - This didn't have an active maintainer for ages, but I think one did step up. I need to talk with the team.

Honestly, I'd love to just kill Exynos4 with fire with L and be done with that goddamned hell platform once and for all... But that is only my personal opinion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2014, 04:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 601

Donate to Me
More
Angry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

There won't be, since L is not out and we have no idea what changes it is going to entail from a device support perspective.

As far as devices that are likely to receive "focus" from the team - Oppos and the Sony Xperia Z family. (Probably Z1/ZU also) - Because of how well Oppo and Sony have treated the open source community, in general, team members are more motivated to grab "older" devices they don't use any more in order to work on them.

All Exynos 4210 devices (i777/n7000/i9100) - No active maintainers remain for these devices, they've been on minimal life support for two years now since Exynos-gate and the Superbrick fiasco of 2012.

Unknowns:
N80xx - Of 3 maintainers, the only one who remains is Humberto and he's kinda spread thin. So highly likely to get removed.
maguro - This didn't have an active maintainer for ages, but I think one did step up. I need to talk with the team.

Honestly, I'd love to just kill Exynos4 with fire with L and be done with that goddamned hell platform once and for all... But that is only my personal opinion.

I have still yet use oppo device but from what I have seen so far it is a pretty much quite a kickass device as for sony I main yuga from time to time as this is the only device I got and we all know what happened back in the days of exynos4
20th September 2014, 06:45 AM |#4  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKillCypher

I have still yet use oppo device but from what I have seen so far it is a pretty much quite a kickass device as for sony I main yuga from time to time as this is the only device I got and we all know what happened back in the days of exynos4

What do you guys hate Exynos for? Kernel Sources?
20th September 2014, 05:12 PM |#5  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 41,305

More
Quote:

What do you guys hate Exynos for? Kernel Sources?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AndrewD...ts/cdPnNjLAb4F
The Following User Says Thank You to chasmodo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chasmodo Ad-Free
21st September 2014, 09:40 AM |#6  
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo

Oh wow, even MediaTek is getting better. Meanwhile, this Bull****.

So @Entropy512, I read all the 100 posts, and I finally understand you.
22nd September 2014, 04:33 PM |#7  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,474

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Oh wow, even MediaTek is getting better. Meanwhile, this Bull****.

So @Entropy512, I read all the 100 posts, and I finally understand you.

As bad as Exynos is... MTK manages to actually be significantly worse.

Even if you have complete access to all of the source they give to an OEM (let's just say I've seen a complete leak for one MT6589 device), it's still a blob-ridden disorganized mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd September 2014, 09:40 AM |#8  
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As bad as Exynos is... MTK manages to actually be significantly worse.

Even if you have complete access to all of the source they give to an OEM (let's just say I've seen a complete leak for one MT6589 device), it's still a blob-ridden disorganized mess.

There's only one source for a MediaTek chipset, the one in Android One. At least MediaTek is getting better, they're taking steps.
17th October 2014, 10:47 AM |#9  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 548

Donate to Me
More
Hi OmniROM devs,

While waiting for Lollipop to arrive, can you please get around to updating the yuga kernel and blobs? There's no point of Sony going to the trouble of publishing the up-to-date kernel sources if the roms are not going to take advantage of it.
18th October 2014, 12:51 AM |#10  
Flag Shebin El-Koum
Thanks Meter: 512

More
Quote:

Unknowns:

S2/S3/Note take a huge percentage in the download counts of any custom ROMs

it's a bad platform... But there is still lots of users using them regularly... Hopefully you guys can give us some L builds... I won't be that sad if you stopped since I know how hard it's to still even offer us some builds for KitKat...

Thanks..
20th October 2014, 10:02 AM |#11  
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedelhofy

S2/S3/Note take a huge percentage in the download counts of any custom ROMs

it's a bad platform... But there is still lots of users using them regularly... Hopefully you guys can give us some L builds... I won't be that sad if you stopped since I know how hard it's to still even offer us some builds for KitKat...

Thanks..

Even I own an S3, but after reading this, I really wouldnt be pissed to see it being dropped
The Following User Says Thank You to Gokulbalram For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gokulbalram Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)