Bricked phone Trying to Root Sprint HTC One E8 for SIM Unlock

Search This thread

shnazdabling

Oct 19, 2018
Have you ever heard the term, "I know just enough to be dangerous"? I truly know what the "dangerous" part of that phrase means now.
I have been surfing the lists of xda forums and reading through them for guidance for days in order to preventing clogging the forums with my pain. However, I'm finally completely stuck and need some help trying to SIM unlock my HTC One E8 (Sprint). In an attempt to my root phone with the old guidance available on-line, so I can unlock my Sprint SIM, I have, hopefully only temporarily, bricked my phone.

Phone Origin: Sprint USA (Dual SIM capable) See: https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/AaJ6a/sprint-htc-one-e8-td-lte-htc-e8
Model: Sprint HTC One E8 TD-LTE (HTC E8) 0PAJ50000
Bootloader installed: 3.19.0.0000
Latest OS: Marshmallow 6.0.1.
Build: 3.10.651.6
S: S-off via Sunshine
TWRP recovery Installed and still active despite boot failure.
Current OS Boot Status: Bricked. Will not boot past the "HTC One" boot screen.

My main goal was to unlock the SIM so I can use this USA (Originally Sprint network) phone on the Australian Telstra Network. A lot of the guidance on this process is several years old, understandably as the phone is discontinued. I was following a great method, published on xda, via senior member OMJ (who also credits briankariu), 28NOV2014. Link: https://xdaforums.com/one-e8/development/ruu-sprint-htc-one-e8-1-22-651-1-stock-t2952981/post57116360#post57116360
In the guidance it recommends "-if not already on 1.22.651.1, flash the RUU in OP". Being the NOOB that I was, I located file "Sprint_HTC_One_E8_1.22.651.1_stock_rooted.zip" online, and installed via TWRP recovery as recommended. I now understand the stupid rookie error of installing a stock rooted zip that is not compatible to my loaded marshmallow build that it has. Due to this knowledge based error I have, hopefully temporarily, Bricked my phone. It will not boot past the "HTC One" Boot screen, and therefore cannot continue with the process OMJ published those years before.

I have two goals from here.
1.) Hopefully recover the phone from brick and be able to boot again, Ideally in a rooted status.
2.) Unlock my SIM. Sprint has given it their best shot, I suppose, but will not techincally support the SIM unlock on any phones older than 2015. They gave me an MSL number via email, put up their hands, and literally said, "good luck".

I am incredibly grateful for the wealth of knowledge available on these forums. I have learned a great deal from it. But with the phone being so old, I can no longer find the exact right recipe to be successful in my quest. Any help would be incredibly well received!

shnazdabling

Oct 19, 2018
Update:
Thanks to xda member "xXminiWHOOPERxX", I have flashed a compatible ROM onto my E8 and now it's alive again.
Stock_Sense7_MM-v1.0.0-SE8.zip
Android MM - 6.0
Based on 6.12.1540.4 release keys for One M8
Full Sense 7 Interface
Almost Stock Like Kernel
Pre-Rooted & DeOdexed

Now, I am hoping to continue with a good way to SIM Unlock!

Again, any help would be immensely helpful!