[OFFLINE UPDATE] WP8.1 To W10 Mobile [ATT] [Verizon] [T-Mobile] (Build 10586.107)

Search This thread

AnierinB

Retired Recognized Developer
Prerequisites:

• Your PC must be at least Windows 7 Service Pack 1, although you must install every Visual C++ Redistributable Runtime and the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
  • Your Phone OS version must be at least 8.10.14219.341 or newer. If not, please update it using the windows insider app.
  • Have registered your device as a developer with the WP SDK.
  • Remove pin lock and turn off reset protection before the update procedure.
htc-one-m8-for-windows-back-1.jpg

:fingers-crossed:please follow this guide at your own risk as I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards or thermonuclear war:crying:.

Instructions:

1. Backup Your device.

2. Download Iutool (WP_CPTT_NT-x86-fre.msi) from the attachments section and install it. The default install directory will be

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386

3. Download the M8.Rar that reflects your Carrier and extract the contents to C:\ on your PC.

Code:
C:\M8ATT

Code:
C:\M8Verizon

Code:
C:\M8TMobile

Open Command Prompt as administratior and change directory to where Iutool is installed.

Code:
cd  C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386

Plug your M8 into your PC and check to see if Iutool discovers your device by typing
Code:
iutool -l

• If your device appears then you are ready to continue
  • If you met error 80070490 when executing iutool -l then disconnect your device and remove it from the Devices & Printers section of Control Panel

6. Assuming you extracted the correct zip into C:\ you are either going to type

Code:
iutool -V -p C:\M8ATT

Code:
iutool -V -p C:\M8Verizon

Code:
iutool -V -p C:\M8TMobile

That command will push the update to your device and it will prepare for the installation! Once the update is ready, take it! You'll want to find something to occupy your time as the process will take 40 minutes.

8. Once booted into W10 open Settings and navigate to the "For Developers" menu and enable Developer Mode.

9. Download and install Interop-Tools from it's respected thread and follow the For All other OEM Devices section to Interop/Cap Unlock your M8 if you had planned on doing so.

10. Use any method that you know to modify your model(DeviceTargetingInfo) to a supported W10 Mobile Device

11. Now enable Windows insider preview builds and set to either slow or release ring.

12. Go into phone update and search for update. You should be brought to build 14393 or later. Updating to this build will fix critical issues/bugs you met earlier.

13. I also recommend a factory reset after all updates as that will reset Registry values to defaults and fix other things as well.

A HUGE thanks to @hikari_calyx for the Offline Update package V4.1 that he had put together over on the Windows 10 Mobile forums!
Another HUGE thanks to @gus33000 for Interop-Tools!

Attachments

• WP_CPTT_NT-x86-fre.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 2,308
Last edited:

hikari_calyx

RECOMMENDED TO ADD:
1. If you met 80070490 error when executing iutool -l, disconnect your phone, and delete your phone in Device & Printers (Run "control printers") and delete your phone listed on it, then reconnect your phone again.
2. You can also install Mobile Enterprise provisioned package in order to get 10586.753. This provisioned package will be available with my Offline Update Package V4.
3. I also recommended to modify PhoneHardwareVariant to RM-1045 if you are going to modify to L930. You should also modify PhoneMobileOperatorName to a unbranded variant, such as 000-44, 000-88, 000-HK, 000-GB.
4. Turn off reset protection before update procedure.

Last edited:

AnierinB

RECOMMENDED TO ADD:
1. If you met 80070490 error when executing iutool -l, disconnect your phone, and delete your phone in Device & Printers (Run "control printers") and delete your phone listed on it, then reconnect your phone again.
2. You can also install Mobile Enterprise provisioned package in order to get 10586.753. This provisioned package will be available with my Offline Update Package V4.
3. I also recommended to modify PhoneHardwareVariant to RM-1045 if you are going to modify to L930. You should also modify PhoneMobileOperatorName to a unbranded variant, such as 000-44, 000-88, 000-HK, 000-GB.

PhoneHardwareVariant to RM-1045 if you are going to modify to L930? does this affect anything?

PhoneMobileOperatorName to a unbranded variant, such as 000-44, 000-88, 000-HK, 000-GB? will this help service? i had not changed these values before updating myself.

Reactions: hhhani

zagreo

Sep 20, 2008
I successfully installed WP 10.0.14393.953 in my HTC M8 and everything seems ok but the in-call volume that is very very low, quite inaudible. Any ideas? Thanks, ALe

Cashdog53

Apr 4, 2017
I got the following error after pushing the contents of the M8ATT folder onto my device:

[1] Transferring files complete: 37 files
[1] Installation failed (HRESULT = 0x80004005)
[1] Failed (0x80004005)

ERROR: 0x80004005

Command failed. (HRESULT = 0x80004005)

Is this bad?

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

I got the following error after pushing the contents of the M8ATT folder onto my device:

[1] Failed (0x80004005)

Is this bad?
Never mind. Fixed the problem by removing my SD card, and restarting the phone I think...

AnierinB

I successfully installed WP 10.0.14393.953 in my HTC M8 and everything seems ok but the in-call volume that is very very low, quite inaudible. Any ideas? Thanks, ALe

ThIs is normal as I've encountered the same issue.

Bugs I know of:
Front facing camera sometimes causes reboot (switching from back in most cases)
Sound will sometimes only go through one speaker (works itself out but happens every now and then)
Flashlight toggle in quick settings has a long delay and sometimes doesn't work at all
Dot view doesn't work (but I personally delete the "extras" apps as the update process somehow made that possible for me)

Other than all that I'm pretty amazed at the way this devices handles the OS... every time I've gone back to 8.1 I'd instantly regret it after the setup :p

Last edited:

Cokefrevr

Nov 19, 2015
Hi so I tried installing Interops on my WP 10 HTC but for whatever reason it doenst let me install stating i dont have 10.0.14393.953 or higher but if i recall i have 10.0.15xxx.xxx Im not home so i cannot check the actual numbers.

AnierinB

Hi so I tried installing Interops on my WP 10 HTC but for whatever reason it doenst let me install stating i dont have 10.0.14393.953 or higher but if i recall i have 10.0.15xxx.xxx Im not home so i cannot check the actual numbers.

Are you trying to install interop tools via the store? From what I can recall installing the pre release via device hub worked on all builds for me

AnierinB

[1] Failed (0x80004005)

Is this bad?

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Never mind. Fixed the problem by removing my SD card, and restarting the phone I think...

Everything work out?

AnierinB

Yea trying to install from the store, sorry for being stupid really tired but device hub?

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607

Download arm dependencies and arm interop tools. Extract and install dependencies one by one via file manager before installing interop tools appx.

Oh and it's called the device portal... here's a link to info on that https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/debug-test-perf/device-portal-mobile

Last edited:

Cokefrevr

Nov 19, 2015
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607

Download arm dependencies and arm interop tools. Extract and install dependencies one by one via file manager before installing interop tools appx.

Oh and it's called the device portal... here's a link to info on that https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/debug-test-perf/device-portal-mobile

Thanks, although it seems to be auto closing, then if i open it again it stays loading and auto closes again.

rayxanber

Jan 5, 2009
I've got the same problem installing interop tools i've install the dependencies and the appxbundle but when i try to open the program on the phone it only show a logo for a few seconds and go back to the main screen. Is interop tools the only way to modify the devicetargetinfo ? Please advice.

AnierinB

Thanks, although it seems to be auto closing, then if i open it again it stays loading and auto closes again.

I've got the same problem installing interop tools i've install the dependencies and the appxbundle but when i try to open the program on the phone it only show a logo for a few seconds and go back to the main screen. Is interop tools the only way to modify the devicetargetinfo ? Please advice.

https://xdaforums.com/windows-10-mo...app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271

Follow the for all other OEM Device section. Interop tools has changed a bit since I last used the device.

And yes that reminds me.. In worst case you can't get interop tools to work I'm afraid you'll have to change it before you do the offline update via The modified preview for developer's.. But no worries as the WDRT tool can bring you back to 8.1 NP.

Besides that.. How's the experience with w10 on the m8 for you guys?

Last edited:
[*]Your PC must be at least Windows 7 Service Pack 1, but you must install every Visual C++ Redistributable Runtime and Windows Device Recovery Tool. Windows 8/8.1/10 are also acceptable.

I found that only 2013 was necessary, and specifically the x86 (not x64, even if you have a 64bit computer and 64bit OS) as iutool is a 32bit binary. This link should also be handy for anyone wanting to install all the Visual C redistributables.

(If you met error 80070490 when executing iutool -l, disconnect your phone, and delete your phone from Device & Printers section of control panel. Then reconnect your phone again)

This didn't work for me on my main computer. Even after I removed ALL windows devices. I got out a burner laptop, installed Win10 fresh and set up the necessary tools and only then did iutool work for me.

Besides that.. How's the experience with w10 on the m8 for you guys?

Once I can figure how to get Win10 to update, I'll let you know.

[EDIT] WOW, I just found https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/debug-test-perf/device-portal-mobile, that I can upload the app using nothing but a browser. All this time I was thinking I'd have to use the USB cable and find yet another deployment tool.. but I still get the same problem as Cokefrevr and rayxanber in that it always auto-closes or crashes.

[EDIT2] Ok, finally found out that anything beyond the 1.9 beta crashes in this old windows build. At least the 1.9 beta runs... now I need to figure out what this cryptic statement means in terms of steps:
11. Use any method that you know to modify your model(DeviceTargetingInfo) to a supported W10 Mobile Device

[EDIT3] I found https://windowsinsiderbits.blogspot.com/2017/03/upgrading-unsupported-windows-phone-81.html which led me to the steps:
1. Edit registry HKLM/SYSTEM/Platform/DeviceTargetingInfo changing PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1105 and PhoneModelName to "Lumia 950" (taken from http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ )
2. Run the Windows Insider app, select the Insider Slow release (it should automatically reboot)
3. Check for updates in the Settings > Update & security > Phone update

Now I'm finally updated to Version 1607 OS Build 10.0.14393.448

[EDIT4] And now that it's on the current windows version, the Interop Tools from the store can run... but it needs some kind of extensions which I think are what is referenced in the 'Other Device' section, but needs Interop Tools to run before extensions can be side-loaded? That doesn't make much sense. I guess I'm fine with my device saying HTC Lumia 950 until Interop works or I find a better simple registry editor without so many complicated dependencies.

[EDIT5] Looks like the RC beta from the originally linked thread works on this version. I have to say, the self-web-host to install applications is by far the easiest way to side-load apps. I think the only thing I miss by going up to Win10 is the dotview. :crying: I hope some awesome developer makes a dot-view addition to Win10. Oh... looks like it's downloading the 1703 version now...

Last edited:

AnierinB

I found that only 2013 was necessary, and specifically the x86 (not x64, even if you have a 64bit computer and 64bit OS) as iutool is a 32bit binary. This link should also be handy for anyone wanting to install all the Visual C redistributables.

This didn't work for me on my main computer. Even after I removed ALL windows devices. I got out a burner laptop, installed Win10 fresh and set up the necessary tools and only then did iutool work for me.

Once I can figure how to get Win10 to update, I'll let you know.

[EDIT] WOW, I just found https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/debug-test-perf/device-portal-mobile, that I can upload the app using nothing but a browser. All this time I was thinking I'd have to use the USB cable and find yet another deployment tool.. but I still get the same problem as Cokefrevr and rayxanber in that it always auto-closes or crashes.

[EDIT2] Ok, finally found out that anything beyond the 1.9 beta crashes in this old windows build. At least the 1.9 beta runs... now I need to figure out what this cryptic statement means in terms of steps:

[EDIT3] I found https://windowsinsiderbits.blogspot.com/2017/03/upgrading-unsupported-windows-phone-81.html which led me to the steps:
1. Edit registry HKLM/SYSTEM/Platform/DeviceTargetingInfo changing PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1105 and PhoneModelName to "Lumia 950" (taken from http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ )
2. Run the Windows Insider app, select the Insider Slow release (it should automatically reboot)
3. Check for updates in the Settings > Update & security > Phone update

Now I'm finally updated to Version 1607 OS Build 10.0.14393.448

[EDIT4] And now that it's on the current windows version, the Interop Tools from the store can run... but it needs some kind of extensions which I think are what is referenced in the 'Other Device' section, but needs Interop Tools to run before extensions can be side-loaded? That doesn't make much sense. I guess I'm fine with my device saying HTC Lumia 950 until Interop works or I find a better simple registry editor without so many complicated dependencies.

[EDIT5] Looks like the RC beta from the originally linked thread works on this version. I have to say, the self-web-host to install applications is by far the easiest way to side-load apps. I think the only thing I miss by going up to Win10 is the dotview. :crying: I hope some awesome developer makes a dot-view addition to Win10. Oh... looks like it's downloading the 1703 version now...

Glad you got it working.. Haven't logged in to xda in a while because i'm using micro g on my Android device so sorry about the absence of help. How you liking it so far? HTC should have supported this huh? p.s lumia 735 works best for device spoofing.. 950 is unnecessary

nar001

Oct 15, 2014
I'm curious, which phone should I change it to in the registry, to receive updates? To make sure it doesn't break?

Also I'm using Interop Tools 1.9 since apparently, everything after that crashes, and I can't unlock Interop/cap it keep turning off. Do you have any pointers to what I should do?

Last edited:

AnierinB

I'm curious, which phone should I change it to in the registry, to receive updates? To make sure it doesn't break?

Also I'm using Interop Tools 1.9 since apparently, everything after that crashes, and I can't unlock Interop/cap it keep turning off. Do you have any pointers to what I should do?

What carrier do you have? I used an ATT varient and before using the offline update I used the custom preview for developers method to change my device to a lumia 735 on wp 8.1 then did the offline update because interop tools kept failing for me at the time as well. if I remember correctly, you can also use interop tools to change the device targeting info but nothing else if you can't cap unlock/ interop unlock your device.

And about cap unlocking your device:

Download the NDTK packages and the WPAK utilities

Go to the Interop Unlock section of Interop Tools, and tap the button that says "Enable installing NDTK on any device"

Put the two NDTK cabs in one empty folder on your PC

Open a command prompt as administrator and make sure you're in the directory where the iutool executable is located from the WP(AK) zip

run "iutool -V -p "<fulllocationwherethetwondtkpackagesarestored >" with your phone connected into the PC

if iutool throws an error, please unplug your device, go to the control panel, devices and printer, select your phone, should be ghosted, click
on uninstall device, and then replug the device and wait for it to reinstall. If you still have issues, run GETDULOGS from the same CMD prompt, and post the cab you get along with a message in this thread

When the installation is finished, open Interop Tools, go to the Interop Unlock section, and tap restore the original manufacturer info button.

Last edited:

nar001

Oct 15, 2014
What carrier do you have? I used an ATT varient and before using the offline update I used the custom preview for developers method to change my device to a lumia 735 on wp 8.1 then did the offline update because interop tools kept failing for me at the time as well. if I remember correctly, you can also use interop tools to change the device targeting info but nothing else if you can't cap unlock/ interop unlock your device.

And about cap unlocking your device:

Download the NDTK packages and the WPAK utilities

Go to the Interop Unlock section of Interop Tools, and tap the button that says "Enable installing NDTK on any device"

Put the two NDTK cabs in one empty folder on your PC

Open a command prompt as administrator and make sure you're in the directory where the iutool executable is located from the WP(AK) zip

run "iutool -V -p "<fulllocationwherethetwondtkpackagesarestored >" with your phone connected into the PC

if iutool throws an error, please unplug your device, go to the control panel, devices and printer, select your phone, should be ghosted, click
on uninstall device, and then replug the device and wait for it to reinstall. If you still have issues, run GETDULOGS from the same CMD prompt, and post the cab you get along with a message in this thread

When the installation is finished, open Interop Tools, go to the Interop Unlock section, and tap restore the original manufacturer info button.

Am I supposed to do all this on my computer, or the phone? And I don't have the "NDTK" button on Interop 1.9 on my M8 (It's the AT&T version, if that helps)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Prerequisites:

• Your PC must be at least Windows 7 Service Pack 1, although you must install every Visual C++ Redistributable Runtime and the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
    • Your Phone OS version must be at least 8.10.14219.341 or newer. If not, please update it using the windows insider app.
    • Have registered your device as a developer with the WP SDK.
    • Remove pin lock and turn off reset protection before the update procedure.
    htc-one-m8-for-windows-back-1.jpg

:fingers-crossed:please follow this guide at your own risk as I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards or thermonuclear war:crying:.

Instructions:

1. Backup Your device.

2. Download Iutool (WP_CPTT_NT-x86-fre.msi) from the attachments section and install it. The default install directory will be

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386

3. Download the M8.Rar that reflects your Carrier and extract the contents to C:\ on your PC.

Code:
    C:\M8ATT

Code:
    C:\M8Verizon

Code:
    C:\M8TMobile

Open Command Prompt as administratior and change directory to where Iutool is installed.

Code:
    cd  C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\bin\i386

Plug your M8 into your PC and check to see if Iutool discovers your device by typing
    Code:
    iutool -l

• If your device appears then you are ready to continue
    • If you met error 80070490 when executing iutool -l then disconnect your device and remove it from the Devices & Printers section of Control Panel

6. Assuming you extracted the correct zip into C:\ you are either going to type

Code:
    iutool -V -p C:\M8ATT

Code:
    iutool -V -p C:\M8Verizon

Code:
    iutool -V -p C:\M8TMobile

That command will push the update to your device and it will prepare for the installation! Once the update is ready, take it! You'll want to find something to occupy your time as the process will take 40 minutes.

8. Once booted into W10 open Settings and navigate to the "For Developers" menu and enable Developer Mode.

9. Download and install Interop-Tools from it's respected thread and follow the For All other OEM Devices section to Interop/Cap Unlock your M8 if you had planned on doing so.

10. Use any method that you know to modify your model(DeviceTargetingInfo) to a supported W10 Mobile Device

11. Now enable Windows insider preview builds and set to either slow or release ring.

12. Go into phone update and search for update. You should be brought to build 14393 or later. Updating to this build will fix critical issues/bugs you met earlier.

13. I also recommend a factory reset after all updates as that will reset Registry values to defaults and fix other things as well.

A HUGE thanks to @hikari_calyx for the Offline Update package V4.1 that he had put together over on the Windows 10 Mobile forums!
    Another HUGE thanks to @gus33000 for Interop-Tools!
    RECOMMENDED TO ADD:
    Thanks for the guide. But maybe you can help with a more higher build or with guide how I can create independently?

I believe in order to make the jump to windows 10 you need to hit this build first because of issues related to the update process from 8.1 to 10. You can't skip past this build when going to 10 otherwise you might get an update error when preparing for the update.

I can see about making an offline 14393 or higher build that you can use to jump from this base build to but other than that I can't help much. The process for gathering the .cabs for making these offline updates is really extensive because I've attempted to do it for 14393 before. Imagine looking at thousands of file links trying to find specific ones based on carrier, screen size, navbar type, soc type, etc.. It really puts strain on my eyes.

You basically have to look at the Microsoft update catalog and gather all the necessary cab files that make up said device then use iUtool to update. Give me a few days and I will put one together but What build would you/or others like to jump to?
    RECOMMENDED TO ADD:

PhoneHardwareVariant to RM-1045 if you are going to modify to L930? does this affect anything?

PhoneMobileOperatorName to a unbranded variant, such as 000-44, 000-88, 000-HK, 000-GB? will this help service? i had not changed these values before updating myself.
    can i flash att firmware on verizon ?

Nope, and if it did allow you to, you'd probably brick your device. Stick to the carrier the device was intended for.

Only thing that could be possible (which I doubt) is T-Mobile to AT&T or vice verca considering their both gsm specific devices. Even then, the radio bands are different.