FORUMS

View Poll Results: which is the best file in your opinion?

daily use

25 Vote(s)
24.27%
daily use (relaxed)

19 Vote(s)
18.45%
gaming beta_2.0

10 Vote(s)
9.71%
cooler beta

20 Vote(s)
19.42%
still didn't find my best

16 Vote(s)
15.53%
neither, i like stock thermal file from HTC

13 Vote(s)
12.62%

[MOD]HTC One M9 Enhanced Thermal Configuration

6,107 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,583

By Mostafa Wael, Recognized Contributor on 30th April 2016, 06:51 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Enhanced Thermal Configuration for HTC One M9!
Unleash the Dragon!!

brought to you by

Hello everyone! This is the official thread for my work on the enhanced thermal configuration to amend the thermals of our beloved M9! Yes it may be late, but for people like me who keep their devices for more than just a year or mere months, this should resurrect their devices and give their M9 a breath of fresh air!
I know, this thread should have been started a bit earlier, but personally I didn't expect progress to go that fast and have such a positive impact!
Anyways, without further redo, here is the link of my thermal files:
Dropbox
if requested, a mirror will be made available
Some XDA OP-style notes:
Code:
I am not responsible for nuclear fission in your phones, going late to college, having some Obsessive-Flashing Disorder Syndrome or you being fired from your house coz the wife got angry. apply this mod on your responsibility.
Okay back to business
->How to apply that mod...
***For test versions***
1- Ensure you have pnpmgr on (if you don't know what pnpmgr is, skip this step)
2- download the file from the dropbox folder from the link above
3- copy the file to /system/etc using a root explorer (yes overwrite the existing file when prompted)
4- change permissions of the file to rw-r-r after you copy the file
5- reboot your phone
6- Enjoy a blast!

***For Stable versions***
Just download the file from the Dropbox folder above and flash in recovery

->Changelog:
/*\ 30-4-2016
-> initial release and opening of this thread

/*\ 06-05-2016
-> Gaming thermal file escalated from "WIP" to "Beta" state
-> Gaming file updated to Beta_2.0
-> Added a description to what the current gaming file targets (Real Racing 3 still excluded, needs work)
***Please do notice that my activity these days is susceptible to being a bit paused as I am nearing my final exams, so wish me good luck ***
/*\ 10-05-2016
-> Added a variant for the Nexus 6P (highly experimental!!! Backup your system first beforehand!!)
-> Added a new "cooler" variant, my best endeavor up till now actually

/*\ 06/05/2016
-> Added new "Optimised" file! Very recommended!!
-> From now on, all files are collected in one zip file to be flashed in recovery mode with a simple Aroma installer! credits go to @ivicask for that and thanks for @ZeroInfinity for helping in preparing the file
-> Updated daily use (relaxed) to latest test version
-> Updated cooler beta to latest test version
-> Added the option to revert back to stock thermal file.
-> Probably something else I might have forgot
for technical info about the new Optimised variant, kindly check out this post here

->Special thanks<-
@LeeDroid for integrating my work in LeeDroid ROM
@baadnewz for integrating my work in ICE ROM
@hamdir for helping me with the gaming profile
@ivicask for his massive work and help in the Optimised variant

my fellow beta testers, have done much of work for me, really big thanks
@ZeroInfinity .
@DeeZZ_NuuZZ
my beloved followers and first people to get their hands on
@fhartane
@skodann
@p50kombi
@gaeilgeganeagla
@Roobwz
@shezaad879

please PM me if you find yourself left out here and have been using my work, don't be shy

Enjoy!
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to Mostafa Wael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mostafa Wael Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 06:58 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor
Gotham

More
For further enhancing your experience, check out my recommendations post here
Also if you are into some technical description of what does pnpmgr do, check out this post here
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mostafa Wael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mostafa Wael Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 07:02 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Great work !

Skickat från min HTC One M9 via Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Roobwz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Roobwz Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 07:10 PM |#4  
Gotham

More
For those who want to know how does the phone respond to each file, always check out this post as it will get updated with newer thermal files being released

Stock HTC thermal file
Unfortunately it is encrypted, but here are what I was capable to detect throughout my usage so far
Stock HTC thermal file actually throttles the big core to 1632 MHz starting from 36°C and migrates all the threads from the big cluster to the little cluster starting from 38°C leaving the little cluster wrestling with the max frequency poorly while the big cluster is lying lazily on the minimum 384 MHz inactive.
This technique, though theoretically should work like a treat, produces some horrible warm temps AND terribly throttled performance!

Daily use:
Till 41 degrees, running unthrottled!
41°C -> 42°C it limits the big cluster to 1344 MHz instead of the usual max frequency of 1958 MHz and shuts down one big core, while the little cluster is lefy untouched.
42°C -> 43°C limits the big cluster to a further limit of 960 MHz and shuts down 2 big cores out of the four. Little cluster still left untouched
43°C -> 44°C little cluster is limited to 1344 MHz and the whole big cluster is shut down. Yes it is too severe, but you really do not want that metal phone get that hot so severe throttling is the only way to bring it down, should it rise that much actually.
This is the same one integrated in LeeDroid ROM (R9 and upwards) and in ICE ROM. This is by far the best one for daily use according to the first people to get their hands on the file and reported in Lee's thread
You should never go wrong with that one!

Daily use (relaxed):
same as Daily use but with 2 degrees lower temp from the first region, in other words, the first throttling step is initiated at 39°C instead of 41°C and the second throttling step is initiated at 40°C instead of 42°C
This is targeted for those who find the first normal daily-usage file a bit warmer than their taste. I am personally using this file as ambient temp here is too hot these days (around 33-35°C not to mention the high humidity as well!)

Gaming:
This one is WIP and is still being developed and optimized. Its goal is to achieve the highest sustainable gaming performance possible for long gaming periods (30 minutes and above)
Testers: Recommended games for testing are those high GPU demanding games (Dead Effect 2 for instance)
targeted temperature barrier should be around 43-44°C
As you may have seen already I pushed another test file in the gaming folder, so you see, it is still WIP and not ready for mass consumption

UPDATE!!: after a lot of tests thanks to our friend @avivhaiser and his prompt accurate tests, this file has escalated to a beta instead of WIP. A disclaimer as usual, this file is targeted at those who want to unleash the full gaming potential of the phone, those who are sensitive to every 1 fps drop, those eagle-eyed creatures who are dubbed as hardcore gamers who say no to every single graphical slowdown even if it was a momentary glitch. So prepare for some kicking ass gaming with this file!
But of course everyone knows that Witwiki saying of "No sacrifice, no victory" and here we sacrificed the relatively cooler temperature barrier for more power, and I am sure gamers will like that
So according to our friend @avivhaiser and his Dead Effect 2 stats, this file can run the game at a 60-ish fps with a max battery temp of 45 degrees compared to the 47-50 fps with a max battery temp of 42 degrees of the daily-usage file.
So you pick your sweet
And of course, this file should work as good as you would expect from the daily usage file when performing simple tasks, so don't worry you won't be running hot all the time, just a tad warmer when only gaming
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mostafa Wael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mostafa Wael Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 07:24 PM |#5  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Red face
Ok, with relaxed file I have to put my phone in the microwave owen before touching it
30th April 2016, 07:25 PM |#6  
Gotham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobwz

Great work !

Skickat från min HTC One M9 via Tapatalk

Oh, looks like you were waiting for that thread! haha
I hope I helped you
Good to see you here buddy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mostafa Wael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mostafa Wael Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 07:26 PM |#7  
Gotham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skodann

Ok, with relaxed file I have to put my phone in the microwave owen before touching it

hehehe, welcome dear!
Hope I keep the phone always cool for you
The Following User Says Thank You to Mostafa Wael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mostafa Wael Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 08:34 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
a thank you from me too, i've been using it in lee's rom, it's great!
The Following User Says Thank You to cobrax2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cobrax2 Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 10:34 PM |#9  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Still using the first version Leedroid baked into his rom, its just amazing, earlier was using wifi, chatting to people, listening to music off spotify, and had a bunch of other apps open, temp didnt get above 38c just keeps getting better.
Cant wait to get my hands on these new ones to try out
The Following User Says Thank You to gaeilgeganeagla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gaeilgeganeagla Ad-Free
30th April 2016, 11:00 PM |#10  
Gotham

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeilgeganeagla

Still using the first version Leedroid baked into his rom, its just amazing, earlier was using wifi, chatting to people, listening to music off spotify, and had a bunch of other apps open, temp didnt get above 38c just keeps getting better.
Cant wait to get my hands on these new ones to try out

That is so good to hear!
I am testing another one that should strike that sweet spot of having cool thermals and best sustainable performance in gaming.
Underclocks the little cluster and keeps thermals intact! Good to gear you enjoying your time

Sent from my HTC One M9 using XDA Labs
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mostafa Wael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mostafa Wael Ad-Free
1st May 2016, 04:49 AM |#11  
Flag Hải Dương
Thanks Meter: 284

More
Why watching video on Youtube App make my M9 very HOT :v
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread