After recently getting an EE plan, I looked forward to using wifi calling on my device, as I knew that the signal around my area was rubbish. Now, thanks to @Golv, it is now possible to enable wifi calling on custom roms on International or handsets from EE. But first of all:
*** Disclaimer*** * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about this mod * before carrying it out! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
In a nutshell, we are going to be installing EE firmware (as it has wifi calling in it) and installing a mod zip to allow use of wifi calling and a cusom rom.
BTW, if I refer to Orange firmware instead of EE firmware, they're both the same thing (Orange switched to EE years ago)
Right, now lets get to business
- S-OFF - Will expalin how to do
and downgrade if you are on nougat(EDIT:NOT NEEDED SINCE SUNSHINE NOW NATIVELY SUPPORTS NOUGAT) IF YOUR M9 IS FROM EE YOU DO NOT NEED THIS AND YOU CAN SKIP THE S OFF PROCESS
- Unlocked bootloader
- TWRP recovery
- An SD card and (optional) USB OTG
- ADB and Fastboot installed.
- Knowledge and patience
- And obviously an EE Pay Montly Plan
(you can skip to post 2 if you bought your M9 from EE)
(If you already have s-off, skip the steps until YOU ARE NOW S-OFF at the bottom of this first post)
So, if you have an international device like me, you are going to need to s-off. This is a bit more complicated, and will require you to give up £20 (trust me there's no other way so don't nag me about getting it for free). S-OFF is pretty handy for other things also, so you wont just be paying the money for Wi-Fi calling. YOU DONT NEED TO DOWNGRADE TO MARSHMALLOW NOW, but @sabpprook 's guide is still over here if you want to downgrade anyway.
1. Assuming you have TWRP installed as it was in the 'whats needed' list, boot to it. NOW TAKE A FULL BACKUP ON AN SD CARD OR USB OTG
2. Boot back into your rom, and make sure you only have supersu root, and not magisk as it wil not work. If not, flash this in your recovery
(deleted downgrading process)
16. Now install the sunshine app here
17. Open the app, and it will do tests, before asking you to pay the $25 dollars (if you pay through paypal it charges you accout £20).
18. Your phone will reboot once, when it does, unlock your device and wait for the app to automatically start (it takes a while) and finish the process. If it goes well, it will prompt you that your phone is going to turn off.
YOU ARE NOW S-OFF.
19. Now reboot to download mode and run the command
fastboot getvar all
21. If your MID isn't 0PJA10000, run the command
fastboot oem writemid 0PJA10000
fastboot oem writecid ORANG001
23. Once it has rebooted, press volume up to confirm and start the flashing of the Orange/EE firmware
ONCE THAT COMPLETES, YOU ARE NOW ON EE FIRMWARE.