FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] [WORKING] EE Wi-Fi CALLING ON INTERNATIONAL OR EE HANDSETS

137 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
After recently getting an EE plan, I looked forward to using wifi calling on my device, as I knew that the signal around my area was rubbish. Now, thanks to @Golv, it is now possible to enable wifi calling on custom roms on International or handsets from EE. But first of all:
Code:
*** Disclaimer***
* Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about this mod
 * before carrying it out! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE DATA, SO BACK IT UP IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING IMPORTANT ON THERE BEFOREHAND

In a nutshell, we are going to be installing EE firmware (as it has wifi calling in it) and installing a mod zip to allow use of wifi calling and a cusom rom.
BTW, if I refer to Orange firmware instead of EE firmware, they're both the same thing (Orange switched to EE years ago)

Right, now lets get to business

Whats Needed
  • S-OFF - Will expalin how to do and downgrade if you are on nougat (EDIT:NOT NEEDED SINCE SUNSHINE NOW NATIVELY SUPPORTS NOUGAT) IF YOUR M9 IS FROM EE YOU DO NOT NEED THIS AND YOU CAN SKIP THE S OFF PROCESS
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • TWRP recovery
  • An SD card and (optional) USB OTG
  • ADB and Fastboot installed.
  • Knowledge and patience
  • And obviously an EE Pay Montly Plan

Process
S-OFFING

(you can skip to post 2 if you bought your M9 from EE)
(If you already have s-off, skip the steps until YOU ARE NOW S-OFF at the bottom of this first post)

So, if you have an international device like me, you are going to need to s-off. This is a bit more complicated, and will require you to give up £20 (trust me there's no other way so don't nag me about getting it for free). S-OFF is pretty handy for other things also, so you wont just be paying the money for Wi-Fi calling. YOU DONT NEED TO DOWNGRADE TO MARSHMALLOW NOW, but @sabpprook 's guide is still over here if you want to downgrade anyway.

1. Assuming you have TWRP installed as it was in the 'whats needed' list, boot to it. NOW TAKE A FULL BACKUP ON AN SD CARD OR USB OTG
2. Boot back into your rom, and make sure you only have supersu root, and not magisk as it wil not work. If not, flash this in your recovery

(deleted downgrading process)

16. Now install the sunshine app here
17. Open the app, and it will do tests, before asking you to pay the $25 dollars (if you pay through paypal it charges you accout £20).
18. Your phone will reboot once, when it does, unlock your device and wait for the app to automatically start (it takes a while) and finish the process. If it goes well, it will prompt you that your phone is going to turn off.
YOU ARE NOW S-OFF.

19. Now reboot to download mode and run the command
Code:
fastboot getvar all
20. It should return with your CID and MID.
21. If your MID isn't 0PJA10000, run the command
Code:
fastboot oem writemid 0PJA10000
And if your CID isn't ORANG001, run the command
Code:
fastboot oem writecid ORANG001
22.Now, download orange_0PJAIMG.zip and rename it to 0PJAIMG.zip and place it on the root of your sd card. Now use the volume keys to select reboot to download.
23. Once it has rebooted, press volume up to confirm and start the flashing of the Orange/EE firmware

ONCE THAT COMPLETES, YOU ARE NOW ON EE FIRMWARE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jevtheboss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jevtheboss Ad-Free
8th April 2017, 02:12 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
FOR EE HANDSETS
REBOOT TO DOWNLOAD MODE AND MAKE SURE YOUR OS IS 4.19.61.1
IF IT IS PROCEED TO FINAL STEPS
IF NOT, DOWNLOAD orange_0PJAIMG.zip from post 3, rename it to 0PJAIMG.zip and plug your sd card directly into the computer and transfer the file to the root of you sd card. Then, put the card back into your phone, and select, reboot to download mode. Then press the volume up button when it asks and wait for that to complete.

FINAL STEPS
If you want to keep stock, just boot into the system, and wifi calling will be enabled. You may need to turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi to get it to connect at first.
If you want to get it to work on a custom rom, follow these steps,
Install twrp again (i know but its the process you have to do) and install what rom you want or restore your backup. The wifi calling enabler zip in the downloads section in post 3 was designed for ICE rom, made by @Golv, and I dont know if it would work on another, but its been tested on ICE so I recommend you use that rom. Test it on another rom if you want and tell me the results, and if the first zip doesnt work, download the other BUT REMEMBER TO MAKE A FULL NANDROID BACKUP BEFOREHAND
Once you install the rom, reboot, and download the wifi calling enabler in the downloads section. Reboot to recovery and flash it. Now reboot. It will take a while to restart at first, give it around 10 mins.
Then go to settings, call and scroll to the bottom and enable Wi-Fi calling. It should now work!!

If you have any issues, feel free to ask on this thread, or send me a PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jevtheboss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jevtheboss Ad-Free
8th April 2017, 02:13 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
Downloads:
TWRP (just download the latest) (Mirror 1)
marshmallow_firmware.zip (Mirror 1) (Mirror 2)
HTC_fastboot.zip (Mirror 1) (Mirror 2)
marshmallow_0PJAIMG.zip (REMEMBER TO RENAME TO 0PJAIMG.zip) (Mirror 1)
nougat_firmware.zip (Mirror 1) (Mirror 2)
orange_0PJAIMG.zip (REMEMBER TO RENAME TO 0PJAIMG.zip) (Mirror 1)
Wi-Fi calling enabler (THIS ONE DEFINITELY WORKS WITH ICE) (USE THIS FIRST) (Mirror 1) (Mirror 2)

Wi-Fi calling enabler 2 (Only flash this one if the first one doesn't work on a rom other than ICE, or you're having issues with the first one) (Mirror 1) (Mirror 2)

THANKS AND CREDITS
@Golv (for helping me with this whole thing)
@sabpprook (for his/her guide to downgrade to marshmallow)
@Silently (for finding the wi-fi calling enabler files )
Everyone else who has contributed eg, by uploading those RUU files.

NONE OF THIS WOULD OF BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT YOU!

PLEASE, IF I HELPED, THANK MY POSTS, AND ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jevtheboss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jevtheboss Ad-Free
8th April 2017, 02:13 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
Reserved
24th November 2017, 10:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I can confirm that the first method works on ViperOneM9 6.2.0 & 6.1.0 and ICE 5.5.2. Thank you so much!
25th November 2017, 09:32 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silently

I can confirm that the first method works on ViperOneM9 6.2.0. Thank you so much!

Hi,
No problem Im glad it worked out for you!
Any issues feel free to contact me.
Jev
14th January 2018, 12:45 PM |#8  
Flag Constanța
Thanks Meter: 559

Donate to Me
More
Mirror to wi-fi calling enabler?
14th January 2018, 12:55 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyr03

Mirror to wi-fi calling enabler?

Hi,
Sorry, I no longer have my M9, and forgot about this project. It was informed to me by @Silently that the mirrors were down about a week ago.
Unfortunately, @Golv, who was hosting the files, has removed them. He told me that if he found the files in his archive, he would let me know.
Sorry for the inconvenience,
Jevon
19th January 2018, 12:41 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Good news!

If you modify the URLs they still work:

V1: https://dev.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298945609

V2: https://dev.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862717609
5th February 2018, 12:11 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester