M9 Bricked? Bootloader locked, S-ON, cant load into download/recovery mode.. Help?

Search This thread

sizwev

May 8, 2017
Im exactly in the same situation with you as I write here. i never did anything to my HTC One M9 but it says Software Modified, S On. now its failing even to come on. Just having a brick in my hand.
I think its time we leave HTC in peace, though we love it

colosos70

Apr 3, 2010
London
Hi all, I'm in the same situation. My M9 was left in a drawer for a few months, unrooted, never messed about with it at all after I bought a HTC 10 last year.
I turn it on now and it shows the same "Software Status: Modified" screen.
The phone was bought brand new from an O2 store here in London.
Has there been any further development on rectifying this issue?

Flippy498

Retired Forum Moderator
May 21, 2014
OnePlus Pad
So far there doesn't seem to be a fix aside from replacing the motherboard. (I only know about successful repairs that got made by HTC's repair service.)

That issue is a hardware failure of the M9's nand (as mentioned in the ReadMe thread).

maciek.snow

Jan 28, 2013
Modified/officiial, locked, s-on, security warning

I've got almost same problem but couple of differences.
sometimes on - software status is "modified", and sometimes "official"
can't run download or recovery but i managed to flash twrp via tooolkit ( at least it said flashed successfuly )
and i managed to flash hosd with CMD fastboot " although still cant run download mode after that

C:\android>fastboot flash hosd hosd_signed.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'hosd' (38128 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.319s]
writing 'hosd'...
OKAY [ 0.785s]
finished. total time: 2.108s

other flashes via CMD give the cant write partirion due to s-on error[/I]
PS. phone stuck in bootloop , doesn't seem to charge ( even though orange led on when pluged in ) and RUU.exe won't let me through, saying my battery is less than 30%

Any ideas what could be possible still - since hosd was flashed ? :)

BR,
Maciek

Last edited:

Ceeyee

Oct 17, 2017
Please I need help I mistakenly deleted the OS of my htc one m9 please I need help on how to get it back up because is stock on just the logo.

Htc download mode

***UNLOCKED***
htc_himauhI PVT S-ON

LK-1, 0, 0, 0000
RADIO-01, 02-U1140161-60, 03, 50505C_F
OpenDSP-v22, 2, 6-00452-M8994_0318
OS_1,40, 709, 8
May 28 2015, 22:52:33 (503039)

maciek.snow

Jan 28, 2013
Please I need help I mistakenly deleted the OS of my htc one m9 please I need help on how to get it back up because is stock on just the logo.

Htc download mode

***UNLOCKED***
htc_himauhI PVT S-ON

LK-1, 0, 0, 0000
RADIO-01, 02-U1140161-60, 03, 50505C_F
OpenDSP-v22, 2, 6-00452-M8994_0318
OS_1,40, 709, 8
May 28 2015, 22:52:33 (503039)

This is more of an open conversation on this specific type of brick (nand/emmc failure) lots of threads on xda how to flash or recover. Search button doesn't hurt buddy.

Zed6666

Aug 30, 2016
If it was mine and all hope was lost I would strip it down, foil off the nand chip and give it a bit of the heat gun treatment (cowboy reflow). Minimal chance of success, but may as well give it a shot if it's junk anyway.

maciek.snow

Jan 28, 2013
If it was mine and all hope was lost I would strip it down, foil off the nand chip and give it a bit of the heat gun treatment (cowboy reflow). Minimal chance of success, but may as well give it a shot if it's junk anyway.

I can see you entered download mode, so if you did, then reflashing with RUU will be a piece of cake. I can se your device is unlocked, have you got TWRP instaled ? if so just go there and flash recovery, if not then you can either use RUU.exe from PC level to resore your device or flash RUU.zip

mirag51

Aug 12, 2007
perfect

tx lot you are n1 after 1 week searching on web only you was right , you save my htc

fastboot flash hosd hosd.img

markiedive37

Oct 30, 2017
It seems that this is a common fault if the power runs out. Mine has just done the same but didn't give any warnings, this is the second HTC M9 that this has happened to and all the time I lose information from the phone when I send it back, is there a fix or is all hope lost?

pstarfire

Feb 13, 2018
Eugene
It seems that this is a common fault if the power runs out. Mine has just done the same but didn't give any warnings, this is the second HTC M9 that this has happened to and all the time I lose information from the phone when I send it back, is there a fix or is all hope lost?

To try and fix your phone, you can try using fastboot to reflash your hosd.img to your phone as mentioned before.

The general DIY recovery option if that doesn't work would lead to data loss [reflashing the firmware via RUU .exe or RUU .zip].

Sadly, it's not easy for an everyday user to see if it's an eMMC (NAND) failure. There is a device called eMMC Pro that could tell you if the eMMC has reached End-of-life but that's a bit pricey. Only fix for that would be an SMD soldering station, reball equipment, and a new eMMC chip.

I'm finding this all out the hard way this past week. I'm in the same boat as most everyone else in this thread: Bought a phone via eBay with 'cracked glass', 'no returns' and find out that it's soft-bricked w/ Boot (re)locked, S-ON and can't be reflashed at the moment. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happened to me before.. flashing hosd.img from firmware zip should fix the download mode not booting. Flash it in bootloader..

fastboot flash hosd hosd.img

Once you got download mode working again you can already flash twrp and flash a custom rom.