All stock and locked but no recovery mode?

Search This thread

VidJunky

Dec 8, 2010
I have an HTC One M9, all stock, locked, and untampered with but I cannot boot into Recovery. I can boot into Download mode, and the Bootloader but when I try to go from the Bootloader to the Recovery menu it gives me the red triangle exclamation point and then does nothing. I've talked to Verizon no service and they just read from the screen, hold the vol button blah blah blah. Talked to best guy's geek squad and they had no clue what a Bootloader or Recovery mode were, so I'm here where I know the community is all about phones. Anyway I've tried factory resetting from the menu and going looking for Recovery I've tried with SD and SIM removed, I've tried with both removed before after and during a FR. Same result. I'm thinking either someone had installed spyware on the device or this app called Google Device Policy are doing me from accessing it? I'm trying right now to find out of somehow I have a Corp over stock return cause everything I've come across on that device policy app says it's used by Corps and the government for tracking device usage. It doesn't appear in any list I've been able to find for native apps installed on HTC or more specifically the M9. Hopefully here I won't get asked why I want to boot into Recovery, hahaha.

Reactions: simonbigwave

VidJunky

Dec 8, 2010
Well it seems this one even stumps the pros. At the minimum I thought someone would have heard of that Google Device Policy app and commented. Well tomorrow I'm contacting my insurance co and seeing if this would qualify as a defect and try to have it replaced. I mean I can't get locked out of my phone cause I'd have no way to reset it in order to get back into it. One last thing, I was able to select to disable that policy app but disabled or not I still have no recovery menu. And of course it's not one that can be uninstalled.

I've also considered that my soon to be ex may have placed a spy app on the device. From what I've read they can prevent the device being FR, I'm assuming to prevent themselves from being uninstalled. Some require root which my device says that it has not been, and she is not savvy enough on her own to accomplish. I can FR from the menu but I'm not sure this doesn't stimulate a FR or something crazy like that... Which again I think would require root... And around we go again. Hey crazy ex's while going thru divorce can make you a little noidded, which maybe I am but it still doesn't trump the fact that I have no recovery and there's this strange app on the phone I can see and maybe something I can't???

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 8, 2010
Well HTC got me to Recovery. Still not happy that it's not a typical route.

So everything as normal until I get to the red triangle. Once there, hold the power button and tap the up vol button and I have all of my Recovery mode options.

Sent from my HTCOX using XDA Free mobile app

aaac1

Jan 19, 2016

So everything as normal until I get to the red triangle. Once there, hold the power button and tap the up vol button and I have all of my Recovery mode options.

Thanks man, you are a lifesaver. I just updated my HTC One M8 to marshmallow and couldnt find the right combination to enter recovery. I tried everything and nothing worked until THIS! :D

simonbigwave

Nov 25, 2013
Rahasia
i cannot believe how ridiculously difficult HTC made it do get into stock recovery.

I had SAME problem for hours!! trying to load the stupid stock recovery. i tried Labtofers instructions pressing all 3 buttons after selecting "recovery" in menu. then i tried Android revolution rom said press vol up then power. didn't work. (but they did say try other combinations). then tried vold down and power. it just got back to bootloader and download mode. . then I read this thread, and after hold power THEN CLICK VOL UP! did it. (tks guys). this instruction should be in ALL the recovery OP threads. so stupid HTC os sometimes. (... and I still can't xxxx install OTA update from phone, even though my new replacement phone is completely stock!)

OT (rant- My last M9 was s-off and rooted. i was hoping that i could update this new replacement phone to Marshmallow and stay stock for a while, but now its stuck on 2.9.xxx.xx firmware as the original system update 2.10.xxx.xx fails every time! and its a new phone! htc really need get their act together. This is my second M9, and my first M9 already had so many problems before also. rant over. sorry had to get that out. the how to get to stock recovery was just last straw today. peace)

Reactions: 1ondroid

malgursaab

Jan 29, 2016
Hi ,,I have unlocked s off m9 sprint with deleted os while trying to flash new rom ,,now stuck into bootloader ,,no recovery what shud I do now

pashutin

Jul 12, 2011
Belgrade

I still cant believe that this trick helped me ! This is only post on hundreds of sites and themes about this problem.
Thanks !!!

Reactions: VidJunky

Flippy498

Retired Forum Moderator
May 21, 2014
OnePlus Pad
I still cant believe that this trick helped me ! This is only post on hundreds of sites and themes about this problem.
Thanks !!!
Just a sidenote: It's explained in the FAQ of the ReadMe thread which is pinned at the top of the General and the Q&A section. So this thread is not the only place where the key combination gets mentioned. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks man, you are a lifesaver. I just updated my HTC One M8 to marshmallow and couldnt find the right combination to enter recovery. I tried everything and nothing worked until THIS! :D
    Thanks !!!
    Just a sidenote: It's explained in the FAQ of the ReadMe thread which is pinned at the top of the General and the Q&A section. So this thread is not the only place where the key combination gets mentioned. ;)
    I have an HTC One M9, all stock, locked, and untampered with but I cannot boot into Recovery. I can boot into Download mode, and the Bootloader but when I try to go from the Bootloader to the Recovery menu it gives me the red triangle exclamation point and then does nothing. I've talked to Verizon no service and they just read from the screen, hold the vol button blah blah blah. Talked to best guy's geek squad and they had no clue what a Bootloader or Recovery mode were, so I'm here where I know the community is all about phones. Anyway I've tried factory resetting from the menu and going looking for Recovery I've tried with SD and SIM removed, I've tried with both removed before after and during a FR. Same result. I'm thinking either someone had installed spyware on the device or this app called Google Device Policy are doing me from accessing it? I'm trying right now to find out of somehow I have a Corp over stock return cause everything I've come across on that device policy app says it's used by Corps and the government for tracking device usage. It doesn't appear in any list I've been able to find for native apps installed on HTC or more specifically the M9. Hopefully here I won't get asked why I want to boot into Recovery, hahaha.
    i cannot believe how ridiculously difficult HTC made it do get into stock recovery.

I had SAME problem for hours!! trying to load the stupid stock recovery. i tried Labtofers instructions pressing all 3 buttons after selecting "recovery" in menu. then i tried Android revolution rom said press vol up then power. didn't work. (but they did say try other combinations). then tried vold down and power. it just got back to bootloader and download mode. . then I read this thread, and after hold power THEN CLICK VOL UP! did it. (tks guys). this instruction should be in ALL the recovery OP threads. so stupid HTC os sometimes. (... and I still can't xxxx install OTA update from phone, even though my new replacement phone is completely stock!)

OT (rant- My last M9 was s-off and rooted. i was hoping that i could update this new replacement phone to Marshmallow and stay stock for a while, but now its stuck on 2.9.xxx.xx firmware as the original system update 2.10.xxx.xx fails every time! and its a new phone! htc really need get their act together. This is my second M9, and my first M9 already had so many problems before also. rant over. sorry had to get that out. the how to get to stock recovery was just last straw today. peace)