FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD]CM 12.1 Unofficial PARTITION MOD EvitaX

3,032 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,070

Post Reply Email Thread
CyanogenMod 12.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 5.1.1 (LolliPop) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This is the UNOFFICIAL Weekly Build of CM12.1 for the AT&T HTC One XL based on current Nightlies w/ HEAVILY MODIFIED PARTITION SCHEME.
**SWITCHING TO THESE BUILDS WILL REQUIRE A FULL DEVICE WIPE. BACKUP EVERYTHING**

Our /userdata partiton is to small for LP and art opts for apps and fill up quickly. These builds provide a long term solution to this by re-arranging which partitions are used to house which files systems. Here's how it's done:
  1. by-name/fat {~12GB US, ~23GB EU models}(previously our internal_sdcard storage) -> is now used for /data, which will include a /data/media style sdcard like what is used on newer android devices
  2. by-name/userdata {~2.5GB} (previously our /data partition) -> is now used to house /system. This now larger /system dir is big enough to allow for full dex-preopt which will speed up first boot but results in larger zip files
  3. by-name/system {~1.5 GB} previously used for /system is no longer used.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to CyanogenMod as a whole, please follow +CyanogenMod on Google+!

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */
Installation Instructions (These are all required)
FOLLOW THESE STEPS CLOSELY

IF COMING FROM CM-12.1 OFFICIAL BUILDS
SKIP TO STEP 3

THE MODIFIED RECOVERY LISTED BELOW SUPPORTS BOTH LAYOUTS
wiping "by-name/system" as EXT4 or FAT will enable TWRP to swtich back and forth
from EVITA <-> EVITAX
  1. S-Off your device (Do this before RUU'ing and it will not wipe your /sdcard).
  2. Update to 3.18 RUU or later.
  3. BACKUP EVEYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP TO A PC/OTG DRIVE WE WILL BE WIPING EVERYTHING
  4. Flash this custom TWRP recovery that supports EvitaX scheme.
  5. Reboot to recovery, From the "WIPE" menu choose "ADVANCED WIPE", then manually change /system to "FAT" format.
  6. Reboot to recovery again to allow TWRP to setup the modified partition layout. From the "WIPE" menu choose FORMAT DATA, then manually wipe from the advanced wipe menu: /system, /cache, /dalvik
  7. Reboot to recovery again to allow TWRP to setup it's storage and configs on the newly formatted /data partition
  8. Download latest build from theflamingskull.com/evita.html .
  9. Locate 5.1 Gapps via a quick Google search.( I prefer opengapps.org )
  10. Use "adb push", "adb sideload", or MTP to trasfer ROM/GAPPS to device
  11. Install ROM and gapps.
  12. Enjoy Quick boot up and usable space for apps.

TO REVERT TO STOCK LAYOUT:
The modified recovery mounts the old "by-name/system" partition as sdcard1 for easy revert.
  1. reboot to recovery
  2. In recovery, wipe /system using the "Advanced wipe" menu. Select "Sdcard1" and use the "Change File System" option to convert /Sdcard1 to EXT4.
  3. reboot to recovery, the standard fstab will load.
  4. Wipe all partitions as instructed above and proceed to flash desired ROM/gapps.
FOR OTHER DEVS:
To build with this new layout you will need
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/124797/1

If anybody really want's to build recovery on thier own the modded
tree can be found here:
https://github.com/jrior001/twrp-htc-evita/tree/twrp-dm

List all Questions and Off-Topic discussions here

Huge thanks:
h8rift,intervigil, deck, mdmower, invisiblek, flyhalf205 - Great team to work with for the HTC MSM8960 device family.

XDA:DevDB Information
CM12.1 EvitaX Unofficial, ROM for the AT&T HTC One X

Contributors
jrior001
Source Code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: hboot 2.14 or higher
Based On: CM

Version Information

Created 2015-12-17
Last Updated 2016-01-03
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jrior001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrior001 Ad-Free

17th December 2015, 04:55 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Va Beach

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
Revised Partition Layout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-15-22-39-44.png
Views:	848
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	3579208  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jrior001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrior001 Ad-Free
17th December 2015, 09:09 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
You Sir gave my Evita a third life!
Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luxoboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Luxoboy Ad-Free
17th December 2015, 01:26 PM |#4  
Flag Grand Rapids
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Going to test it out, will report back, using f2fs on data and cache before switching twrp versions and it seems to have kept the partition scheme of that after wiping, hopefully no problems from that

Update: So it installed well, no errors i've seen, installs apks very nice and quick, no freezes of any kind, overall very solid rom
17th December 2015, 07:38 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
this looks awesome!!!
18th December 2015, 02:40 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sir Is there any way to use /system partition as sd card or for swap.
18th December 2015, 11:28 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Va Beach

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toqeer

Sir Is there any way to use /system partition as sd card or for swap.

Both of those "could" be done in theory.

Its only ~1.2 GB, I didn't really even consider mounting it as sdcard because its so small.

For swap, the zram feature we already added a while back is considerably faster than swap on a ext4 partiton so I wouldn't advise doing this.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jrior001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jrior001 Ad-Free
20th December 2015, 07:35 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So installed flawlessly without any error after running couple of hours it seems heavy battery draining even 11% within 15 minutes however all other things works like a charm, will be report back after a day. One question sir can I flash torched kernel?
21st December 2015, 04:50 PM |#9  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 39

More
@jrior001 - First of all, awesome work. Evita is one of the best devices around and I've been owning it since 2013. Its so unfortunate that Evita didnt get a partition update like Jewel got. This is simply awesome.

2 questions:
What needs to be done if we decide to switch back to a sense rom?
The 1.2 GB that is free is lost/wasted? Can that be added to the 12GB? Reason i ask is, my Evita has only 16GB, which already is pretty less considering how easy it has become to find 64GB devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrior001

Its only ~1.2 GB, I didn't really even consider mounting it as sdcard because its so small.

Haha, only 1.2GB With 16GB in the hood, 1.2GB is like 16%
Can we utilize that 1.2GB space as well? Can it be added to /data so that its added space could be used as well.

21st December 2015, 05:34 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Va Beach

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam3087

@jrior001 - First of all, awesome work. Evita is one of the best devices around and I've been owning it since 2013. Its so unfortunate that Evita didnt get a partition update like Jewel got. This is simply awesome.

2 questions:
What needs to be done if we decide to switch back to a sense rom?
The 1.2 GB that is free is lost/wasted? Can that be added to the 12GB? Reason i ask is, my Evita has only 16GB, which already is pretty less considering how easy it has become to find 64GB devices.

Haha, only 1.2GB With 16GB in the hood, 1.2GB is like 16%
Can we utilize that 1.2GB space as well? Can it be added to /data so that its added space could be used as well.

1. Flash your old regular twrp back and wipe everything! Reformat sdcard to fat32/vfat and reflash normal build ROM.

2. If anything it would have to be mounted as a separate "internal sdcard" similar to how the old sdcard was mounted. Its possible but its messy and confusing. I was trying to keep this as clean and simple as possible.

There was also some talk of moving cache to that partition but honestly were not gaining enough to any of it all that exciting

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk
22nd December 2015, 01:56 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
is the TWRP 2.8.7.0 EvitaX version a modified recovery from the original? i already have the regular 2.8.7.0 version installed but wondering if it would accept the 12.1 EvitaX rom?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)