UNOFFICIAL Lineage 14.1 for AT&T HTC One XL - evita

Search This thread

h8rift

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2010
LineageOS 14.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 7.X (Nougat) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

This is an unofficial build of LineageOS 14.1 for the AT&T HTC One XL.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to LineageOS as a whole, please follow +LineageOS on Google+!

Installation Instructions (These are all required)
  1. S-Off your device (Do this before RUU'ing and it will not wipe your /sdcard).
  2. Update to 3.18 RUU or later.
    BACK UP YOUR DATA TO A PC/OTG DRIVE. THIS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING
  3. Flash a custom TWRP recovery that supports the EvitaX scheme and prepare your partitions. (Download from the downloads tab).
  4. Boot to Recovery -> Wipe menu -> Advanced Wipe. Change /system to "FAT" format.
  5. Reboot back into Recovery
  6. Wipe Menu -> choose Format Data -> back to Wipe Menu -> manually wipe /system, /cache, /dalvik
  7. Reboot back into Recovery.
  8. Download the unofficial build from the downloads tab.
  9. Locate 7.X ARM Nano Gapps via a quick Google search.
  10. Install the build and GApps

Huge thanks:
mdmower and jrior001 for doing all the hard work.

XDA:DevDB Information
Lineage 14.1, ROM for the AT&T HTC One X

Contributors
h8rift, mdmower, jrior001
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Firmware Required: 3.18

Version Information

Created 2017-03-03
Last Updated 2017-03-03

Dnorris55

Dec 12, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
wow..this device is still alive
hats off
It was my first android ...

It was my first Android also.
Been waiting for a modern ROM for it... :D

I think I got it loaded, but can't get thru the setup, due to popups...
com.android.phone has stopped...
google play services has stopped....
"that" has stopped...
"whatever" has stopped.....

Edit: I reinstalled the ROM today, and was able to setup properly. Only quirk so far is a red outline that flashes around the screen occasionally.

Last edited:

gordp

May 29, 2015
great news!

@mdmower - I was following your GitHub notes over the past while, always hoping there would be something which we could use!

Thanks to all involved - I still have and use my evita, but often with an alternate SIM for travel. It is still a very nice phone. I put new batteries in both my evita, and my wife's, and they keep going. But security... :( That's where LineageOS, and this build, will be crucial.

I need my evita as a daily-driver for the next couple of weeks, so I'll eagerly read the results from others for now. But I have three other devices using unofficial LineageOS builds, and I'm very happy with them.

Thank-you, everyone!

Reactions: Dnorris55

wlewin

Aug 22, 2008
It was my first Android also.
Been waiting for a modern ROM for it... :D

I think I got it loaded, but can't get thru the setup, due to popups...
com.android.phone has stopped...
google play services has stopped....
"that" has stopped...
"whatever" has stopped.....

Edit: I reinstalled the ROM today, and was able to setup properly. Only quirk so far is a red outline that flashes around the screen occasionally.

how exactly did you reinstall? I just did a series of wipes and reinstall and am still getting force closes like mad. cant properly get the device running/through the setup screen

Dnorris55

Dec 12, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
how exactly did you reinstall? I just did a series of wipes and reinstall and am still getting force closes like mad. cant properly get the device running/through the setup screen
I'm not sure just what worked, because I tried so many things. I even tried flashing the evita-x twrp, but it didn't work, so I reflashed the twrp in the op. At one point, I thought I was really screwed, because the data partition showed a size of 0. Then I re-did the format data (step 6), and was able to install the ROM and get thru the setup.
You might try reflashing the twrp, and repeat step 6.
Also, I installed the ROM by itself, booted and setup.
Then flashed gapps and rebooted.
Then flashed SuperSU.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

keithkulinga

Jun 5, 2016
Please be sure to thoroughly read the instructions to do the partition swapping. This should be nearly identical to jrior001's thread for CyanogenMod 12.1

Great development on the One XL. Thanks guys for the great work. I managed to install the rom. It however seem unstable and apps taking long to open. Also the red box on the edge of the screen. Will try wipe and reflash and see if there will be an improvement

shannester

Sep 13, 2014
LG V40
LG G8
WOW! Nougat on a Five Year-Old Phone!

Thank you so much. You guys are amazing. I can't believe I'm running Android 7.1 on a five year-old phone. Everything works and is running pretty smooth (except for occasional red border flash).

As things turned out, my good old HTC One X has become my primary phone for the time being. And here I am running Nougat. I guess it says a lot about this phone's build quality that it has lasted so long. My deep appreciation to all the XDA developers and their amazing ROMs, apps and troubleshooting tips that have kept this phone, amazingly, at the forefront of Android development all these years.

Last edited:

gordp

May 29, 2015
Well, I couldn't wait. And the summary: I am thrilled :)

Here are some notes and observations, while installing lineage-14.1-20170226-UNOFFICIAL-evita.zip:

• from within TWRP-3.0.N2-1, device always performs a full system-reboot when selecting "Reboot to Recovery". You have to reboot to fastboot (press-and-hold Vol-Down and Power), then enter recovery from the fastboot menu. Later, from within Lineage OS, you *CAN* reboot to Recovery.
  • cannot flash this ROM and nanoGapps queued together: insufficient memory. Flash this ROM first, then use TWRP file-manager to delete the ROM .zip. Now, there will be sufficient space to flash nanoGapps.
  • there are plenty of red-border-flashes during setup, and during regular operation :) It seems like just about every user-input-event, and maybe even every install-decision-point will produce this. It's actually slower than a "flash" - more like a red-border-blink :) I doesn't hurt anything, and I suspect this will be ironed-out later.
  • this ROM doesn't include 'su' (SuperUser). For this installation, I opted to use Lineage's 'addonsu-arm-signed.zip'

My roaming SIM won't work where I am now, but I have input my voip details into the provided dialer, and voip/SIP calls work as they should. I added Yahoo as a CM_WeatherProvider, and now cLock looks and works as expected.

a huge THANKS guys, for bringing this ROM to this point - @h8rift, @mdmower, @jrior001 !

Last edited:
Reactions: vanontom

Luxoboy

Feb 17, 2015
Wow, guys this is great!
Thanks for the hard work.

What can we expect from this? Will it be patched to fix bugs or is this a "one build"?

Also, question for the devs: can one realistically hope to use Nougat on evita as a daily driver or is this device simply too old? I'm on CM12.1 and it's not that smooth. Would switching to Nougat better or worsen the experience?

For current testers: what features are currently working (camera, GPS, etc.)?

Again, hat's off!

gordp

May 29, 2015
Device Encryption busted

Device Encryption does not work.

(to be honest, this seems hit-or-miss with other LineageOS 14.1 ROMs; maybe even more "miss" than "hit" :-O . My Nexus 5 will encypt fine; my Nexus 7 (2012) won't).

Last edited:

gordp

May 29, 2015
Camera Works

I've attached an image OF YOUR QUESTION @Luxoboy :) to show that the camera works. The (exif??) data that I can see in the LineageOS Gallery app shows reasonable information too.

It doesn't seem to crash, nor have weird colors, for still-photos.

HTH,

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_160144.jpg
    IMG_20170308_160144.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 206

gordp

May 29, 2015
WiFi stumbles a bit

OK... During setup, the first inkling of a rough-spot for WiFi showed up (for me): finding and displaying WiFi SSIDs took *forever*... Maybe I even skipped past that, and went back to set up WiFi access after the setup was finished and Lineage OS was fully running.

In actual hand's-on usage, I've found that the WiFi connection is both a bit weaker (fewer bars, doesn't reach as far) and lower-throughput than other devices. Both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands work; max throughput on 5GHz was 135Mb/s for me, right next to my 802.11n router (running DD-WRT). It's OK though.

Also during use, I sometimes noticed the WiFi icon, and the Settings -> WiFi progress indicating a drop + renew of the WiFi. Right now, my evita is at home while I'm at work - the phone is charging/sleeping but my Voice-Over-IP SIP provider site shows that the evita isn't registered... I suspect that WiFi isn't working, when it was during breakfast when I was playing with it...

The WiFi is certainly usable, but it does stumble a bit here-and-there, it appears.

Does anyone else experience the same, or something different with WiFi?

wildboarhog0

Jan 18, 2008
Nice! thanks guys! The red flashing border and a little lag is
the only thing I see so far... This is awesome!

kuF3AR

Dec 25, 2016

You need to root device(install addonsu-arm-signed.zip from attachment) and then add 2 lines to the end of file /system/build.prop with any root file explorer and reboot it.
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=0
persist.sys.strictmode.disable=1

Attachments

• addonsu-arm-signed.zip
    547 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

shannester

Sep 13, 2014
LG V40
LG G8
No More Red Flashing!

You need to root device(install addonsu-arm-signed.zip from attachment) and then add 2 lines to the end of file /system/build.prop with any root file explorer and reboot it.

Thanks, this fixed the red border flashing, and also has made the phone seem to run more smoothly. I already flashed the latest (2017) version of SuperSU when I flashed the ROM. I notice your attachment has a different version of SuperSU. Is there a difference between the version in your attachment vs. the latest one on the chainfire website. Thanks for your advice.

kuF3AR

Dec 25, 2016
Thanks, this fixed the red border flashing, and also has made the phone seem to run more smoothly. I already flashed the latest (2017) version of SuperSU when I flashed the ROM. I notice your attachment has a different version of SuperSU. Is there a difference between the version in your attachment vs. the latest one on the chainfire website. Thanks for your advice.

I found this file on the lineageos web site as approach to root their ROMs.

Reactions: shannester

xBane_

Feb 12, 2017
LineageOS 14.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 7.X (Nougat) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

To hear about the latest updates and changes to LineageOS as a whole, please follow +LineageOS on Google+!

1. S-Off your device (Do this before RUU'ing and it will not wipe your /sdcard).
  3. Flash a custom TWRP recovery that supports the EvitaX scheme and prepare your partitions. (Download from the downloads tab).
  4. Boot to Recovery -> Wipe menu -> Advanced Wipe. Change /system to "FAT" format.
  6. Wipe Menu -> choose Format Data -> back to Wipe Menu -> manually wipe /system, /cache, /dalvik

Huge thanks:

Contributors

Version Information

Created 2017-03-03
Last Updated 2017-03-03

One x or One XL? Can it work on both?
(My Device's SKU - 65383)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Huge thanks:

Contributors

Version Information

Created 2017-03-03
    Last Updated 2017-03-03
    Please be sure to thoroughly read the instructions to do the partition swapping. This should be nearly identical to jrior001's thread for CyanogenMod 12.1

I got the file here. The site is a backup of some (all?) of the xda download tab files! Newer TWRP builds compatible with the new partition layout are here.
    Thanks! Can you please help with a step by step on how to do this

- put the “addonsu-arm-signed.zip” on device storage
    - boot to recovery, select "install" then choose the "addonsu-arm-signed.zip" and install it
    - boot to Android os
    - install any root file explorer from play market
    - add 2 lines to the end of file /system/build.prop with any root file explorer
    Code:
    - reboot device

It would be better if the next ROM will be compiled without these settings as default =)