Oneplus Two - Solution for Hard Bricked Device

Search This thread

chicken99

Feb 2, 2013
Dont worry. Unplug the usb cable and long press the power button for around 20 sec. Plug it again and press volume up until the computer find the device (the computer may find the device when you plug into it, but still press volume up until the computer find the device second time) open the Chinese program and press start. And your device should boot into oxygen os.

Never thanked you for that. Sorry it's so late.

dajosova

Aug 18, 2007
Aveiro
Is there a way to get back into phone after being stuck in boot loop and not loose my data like pics and videos

I'm having the same loop problem after changed the broken touch/screen.
It shows initial logo and it goes to Fastboot Mode but when I try to enter in Recovery Mode (Vol. Down + On/Off) screen goes all black. Capacitive buttons (back an menu) respond though!

Any clue on how to unbrick it?

PhoenixNghi

Feb 2, 2011
UPDATE: see the solution at the end

Guys, I need help :crying:

TL;DR current status: continuously bootloop with vibration, can access and recognize Fastboot, BL was relocked somehow

Before:
- unlocked BL
- was running AOSP Extended 4.0, Android 7.1.1
- TWRP 3.0.2.2

My dummy sin:
- such a beautiful day and I decided to flash a 9.0 ROM
- went to my twrp recovery and flashed a corrupted TWRP img (twrp-3.2.1-0-oneplus2.img)
=> could not access the recovery (of course), could boot to the system, I tried to install the correct twrp img, but it said Writing 'recovery' FAILED (remote: device is locked. Cannot flash images)

then I went to Developer settings > OEM Unlocking and that option was off, I turned it on
then went to the Fastboot mode and ran fastboot oem unlock, my phone automatically rebooted, now it was stuck at the 1+ bootscreen

it seems my BL was relocked because I didn't remove the pattern lock
> fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device is_verified: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
(bootloader) Display panel:
(bootloader) console_locked: 1
(bootloader) exec_console_unconsole: 0
OKAY [ 0.074s]
Finished. Total time: 0.074s

Here I followed the guide in this thread:
- OP2 can power on itself from an alarm, so I can't turn it off completely, it keeps powering on itself, was really hard to boot into QUALCOMM-HS USB Diagnostics mode, but finally I did it (by keep holding power + volup)
- first time the program Qualcomm firehose started running for a few seconds then it exited itself
- then I replaced another recovery from the OP https://mega.nz/#!okl3DYqZ!lu5q0SGLyAMW_agUBoa8e6tgy5vdDDRVtwWLi8tD1qo, the program ran successfully (green alien texts)

Here my phone ran into continuous bootloops, if I press vol- power, I can see a small Linux penguin blinking, but still can access Fastboot mode

Now I'm stuck, 2 deadly errors in a row :eek: (didn't remove the screen lock before flashing a new ROM and flashed a corrupted TWRP img)

to summarize my problem:
- I flashed a corrupted TWRP img, then BL was relocked
- When using Qualcomm tool to reflash the recovery, if you press Start button and it fails for any reason, open that program again and try again until the progress bar flashes some files to your phone and shows up a green status, your phone will restart, choose the first option to unlock the BL
- Then you can install OOS by booting to the recovery (H2O or OOS Idk exactly), choose Install from USB, sideload the .zip to install OOS (to charge your phone before flashing TWRP and other ROMs, in my case I can't boot to the system to charge my phone)
- At this step, you can flash the TWRP recovery and flash any custom ROMs

There's 2 tricks in my case:
- to go into the Qualcomm mode (something like "QUALCOMM-HS USB Diagnostics 9006"), keep pressing power + vol up, the screen will show nothing (black screen), keep your eyes on the Device Manager's tree: Ports)
- Qualcomm flash tool may show a red status, or exits itself, just open it again and press the Start button again.

Ref:
https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...ck-guide-for-a-hard-bricked-oneplus-2.347607/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARyaWKpRz3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SVSovw4Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: vinko1950

koolbrader

May 30, 2008
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi all,

ok, so finally I was able to fully recover my OP2 now.

Remember, I had the issue described: recovery completely broken, bootloader locked, Enable OEM option in developer options not available.
So, I was at a dead end. Phone working, but without recovery no chance to take backups, flash something etc.

So this is what I did now:
1) Downloaded the USB drivers linked in the OP (or from here:
https://mega.nz/#!mRgH0KJS!rCo7tgzXLUDQOUxXxtBpwPXk8Bw3JITbozZelmsKEPE )

2) Used my own, modified recovery tool (which has Hydrogen recovery built in instead of twrp, as twrp continued to be broken). Download my version from here:
https://mega.nz/#!uBYGHLJD!w-ByaqFeHuUrzJXPuDRXNu4HYcCBKqVAEe7W1xzrY8k

3) Powered off phone, plugged usb cable into PC

4) Pressed Vol+ and Power key until I got the mysterios QUALCOMM device as unknown device in windows device manager (just slightly named differently than in the OP)

5) installed the driver as described in the op

6) started the recovery tool as decribed in the op (my version) and flashed it

7) Phone restarted into OOS

8) I restarted the phone into recovery and voila - HydrogenOS recovery was back

9) I wiped data and cache in that recovery

10) I flashed OxygenOS 2.0.0 full version (around 1 GB size)

11) I flashed without reboot directly after the full version the OTA update of today (40MB size)

12) Rebooted and I had the "Enable OEM" switch in developer options, which I enabled

13) Went into fastboot mode and flashed TWRP

14) ... yes, the rest is as it was before, flashing SuperSu to root the phone etc.

Finally I am fully functional again. Horray.

Many thanks to @Zyxxeil who had the idea to try with HydrogenOS recovery instead of TWRP - which helped.

Hope this is helpful for you guys with the same problem.

Although I think the full recovery package should help much more easy in future.

Cheers and have a nice day
Andi

Hey guys. I've been googling all over and trying all solutions online including Lord Boeffla's instructions here but I am always stuck at one particular step.

Let me start with my current phone's condition :
1) Messed it up years ago so I forgot what happened. I'm just trying to revive it now.
2) No OS and everything is wiped including system and internal storage.
3) TWRP 3.1.1.0 installed and working
4) Able to go into fastboot by selecting reboot to fastboot in TWRP.

My main issue is no matter what I do, the device will not show up in device manager. I can't use ADB/fastboot commands because it's just not detecting the phone. All solutions online tells me to hold down the Vol + button and power button at the same time (I've also tried holding down Vol - and Vol + and Power at the same time) until my phone goes into Qualcomm Service mode and something pops up in Device Manage. Then all I would have to do is update that device with the correct driver. But in my case, my phone just shows black screen and nothing is detected in Device Manager. It still stays the same. I've tried showing hidden devices in Device Manager and also scanning for hardware changes. Nothing shows up. My phone just refuses to be detected. I've even tried multiple computers and different cables and different ports. All doesn't show anything.

So without any way to ADB/Fastboot or even detect my device, I can't transfer any files required to format or install any OS. I've even tried a thumbdrive with a Type-C connector but it doesn't show up in TWRP.

PLEASE HELP ME. I really need this phone up and running again but I've tried everything I could think of and more. If anyone knows what to do for my situation, please let me know. Thanks.

oneplus2+2

Sep 13, 2021
unbricked !

Hi all,

Remember, I had the issue described: recovery completely broken, bootloader locked, Enable OEM option in developer options not available.
So, I was at a dead end. Phone working, but without recovery no chance to take backups, flash something etc.

2) Used my own, modified recovery tool (which has Hydrogen recovery built in instead of twrp, as twrp continued to be broken). Download my version from here:

4) Pressed Vol+ and Power key until I got the mysterios QUALCOMM device as unknown device in windows device manager (just slightly named differently than in the OP)

11) I flashed without reboot directly after the full version the OTA update of today (40MB size)

12) Rebooted and I had the "Enable OEM" switch in developer options, which I enabled

14) ... yes, the rest is as it was before, flashing SuperSu to root the phone etc.

Many thanks to @Zyxxeil who had the idea to try with HydrogenOS recovery instead of TWRP - which helped.

Although I think the full recovery package should help much more easy in future.

Andi
Hi. I understand that a lot of time has passed, but the links do not work. Do You have a telegram or something. I have a similar problem as you have.

oneplus2+2

Sep 13, 2021
unbricked !

Hi all,

And

unbricked !

Hi all,

Andi
Hello, everyone. I unbrick my oneplus 2 too. Link how i unbrick my oneplus 2 here: {Mod edit}
There I will post the files and the actions that I took for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Hello, everyone. I unbrick my oneplus 2 too. Link how i unbrick my oneplus 2 here: {Mod edit}
There I will post the files and the actions that I took for this.
@oneplus2+2

I've edited your above post and removed the reference to Telegram from it. As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post or you. Please refrain from sharing of social media in future.

I'd appreciate if you share your solution and knowledge on XDA instead.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

oneplus2+2

Sep 13, 2021
@oneplus2+2

I've edited your above post and removed the reference to Telegram from it. As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post or you. Please refrain from sharing of social media in future.

I'd appreciate if you share your solution and knowledge on XDA instead.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator
So. Can I place a link in the cloud mail ru instead of telegram? To resolve the issue with oneplus 2?

Hell_Dog

Jan 2, 2015
OnePlus 2
Nokia 7.2
Is there anyone else here ... Help please, I flashed the 19.1 line, I needed root, I couldn’t install it, and in the recovery I deleted the firmware from the phone in general, now it only enters the fastboot mode and recovery 19.1 which was installed with the line, is it possible somehow to drain it whether to return or to any other firmware

Hell_Dog

Jan 2, 2015
OnePlus 2
Nokia 7.2
Is there anyone else here ... Help please, I flashed the 19.1 line, I needed root, I couldn’t install it, and in the recovery I deleted the firmware from the phone in general, now it only enters the fastboot mode and recovery 19.1 which was installed with the line, is it possible somehow to drain it whether to return or to any other firmware

For anyone who still needs to revive their OP2 from hard brick and frustrated from the dead links to files, you can refer to this post on OP forums: https://community.oneplus.com/thread?id=347607 The links are still working there.

That being said, unfortunately this did not save my OP2. I used full packages of OOS3.0.2 and 2.1.1, flashed both of them with the MSM8994DownloadTool more than 20 times. If I understand correctly, the phone should reboot by itself after the flash is done. Unfortunately my phone just keeps acting like a paperweight.

The only life sign is that when I connect it to my computer and press Vol+ & Power for 30 sec OR Vol+ & Vol- & Power for 10 sec, then it shows up as the expected Qualcomm 9008 and MSM8994DownloadTool can do its work with both the minimized and full packages. When it's done it just disconnects and disappears, leaving me with the same shiny brick.

My phone didn't get bricked while I was tinkering with it; I was literally watching a cat video with my daughter and it abruptly went black, and that was it. If this is a HW failure than it is quite disappointing for the OP brand, because my ancient Huawei U8800 and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 are both still working.

Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited:
Try the link I sent above. Method 2, 3 and 4 are supposed to revive an OP2 in your situation, albeit wiping all your data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hard brick for OPT happens when you change critical partitions. It will follow improper firmware flash or accidental erase of certain partitions. The phone won't show any response when hardbricked.
    The solution for OPT is similar to OPO - you just need a Qualcomm driver and a recover package. The only full recovery package available is very big and it restore the phone to Hyrdogen OS, with everything wiped. So it would not be very attractive.
    Fortunately, thanks to this post from Chinese supporting forum, a minimal version of restore package is provided. It does not wipe user data and guarantee a recovery entry. you would normally be freed using this package. if not, please use the full package in the end of the post
    Download link for driver
    Download link for Recovery tool
    uncompress the files to a local folder.

First step, turn off drive signature enforcement in windows 8/8.1/10. Tutorial Here

Second step, hold the power key for 20 seconds to force turn off power. connect OPT to usb, hold volume+ and power until your PC finds a new hardware (if it doesn't work, try hold volume+ and volume- together)

Third step, go to device manager in your PC, find the new "QUALCOMM-HS USB Diagnostics 9006" device. Update its driver in property page using the Qualcomm driver provided (for 32bit windows, select x86 folder; for 64bit windows, select x64 folder).

Fourth step, when the driver is installed properly, run MSM8994DownloadTool.exe in the recover tools folder, using admin privileges . Clear start in top left corner and wait for it to finish.

Now your OPT should be able to enter TWRP recovery. It still won't boot but you can manually flash anything again (like the full Oxygen OS package).
    The procedure is tested by me twice. Enjoy!

p.s: sorry the recovery image in the A2001_save_brick_mini.rar is Chinese. Please download this file, change the name to recovery.img and substitute the file in the recovery tool before flashing.

UPDATE:full Oxygen OS 150805 restoration package for those who experience recovery entry problem. Note that this package wipes everything including internal storage!
    unbricked !

Hi all,

Andi
    Awesome, I will go ahead and make a full recovery tool that includes these files as well as the latest version of OxygenOS as I did with the Oneplus one.
    @Lord Boeffla
    I found the answer! It is because of new security feature in 5.1.1
    More info- https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...p-5-1-brings-promised-anti-theft-kill-switch/
    So any time when you have pattern or any lock then after a reset the bootloader will be locked! Same is the case if you revert back from CM12.1 to oxygen OS !!
    Happened to me, read here- https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/stuck-in-registration-loop.351187/#post-12816700
    I tried it thrice again to confirm! can you do that too ? :p
    Bootloader gets locked and if you have TWRP recovery installed then there wont be any recovery and you will have to follow this method to get it working! :D
    Video guide here-
    Hi,

ok, I am one step further now.

I could bring the device in that mode, flashed via this recovery tool. All partitions were flashed but still no recovery. How can that be? ooops.

I did that many time on my OPO already successfully. But of course with the full recovery package.

So question is, I would not mind starting from scratch... anybody knows where the "big" recovery package that erases everything is available?

Thanks
    Andi

Hi, I got the "big recovery package" in question from OP support centre in China. It will recover your OPT to factory Hydrogen OS from which you could start over. I'll upload it onto Mega very soon so stay tuned.