My Official OnePlus 3 Curved Tempered Glass review

Search This thread

Munk0

Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
OP3_fancy.jpg

Here is my review of the official OnePlus 3 Tempered Glass Screen Protector (3/3T) direct from OnePlus AND after about six weeks of usage. This screen protector has some huge pro's and some huge con's and I find I can't seem to say something positive without turning around and saying something negative. So I'll just jump right in and say it is the strongest screen protector I have ever used out of over 15 devices I've owned. BUT this strength means that it the phone is heavier by 12 grams, thicker by .6mm and can interfere with some phone cases due to its edge to edge size. I had to buy another phone case because my thin one kept pushing against the screen protector and injecting air bubbles. ARGH!

When applying the screen protector the black/white border, depending upon the color of protector you purchased, pretty much hides any air bubbles you might normally get with other screen protectors. BUT the black/white border also cuts off the right and left-hand side of the screen to where your text gets cut off (see image below for an example). Due to the thickness the fingerprint scanner is also recessed making scanning your fingerprint odd and a little less accurate. I found that I actually get more fingerprint scan errors.

The oleophobic coating makes sliding your finger across the screen a delight. Even my Pixel XL wielding friend had to agree that it was nice. The edge to edge protector visually is the best looking protector I have used which is another plus. Listed below is a quick summary of my Pro's and Con's.

The screen protector is great in these areas:
  • Fingerprint and smudge resistant
  • Finger glides VERY smoothly
  • Covers most everything edge to edge
  • Cut outs for front camera, speaker and fingerprint scanner
  • Very strong

The screen protector is not so great in these areas:
  • Cuts off the left-hand and right-hand side of the screen
  • Heavy in that it adds 12 grams to the 158 grams of the phone
  • Thick in that it adds .6mm to the 7.35mm of the phone
  • Isn't compatible with some phone cases (too wide, I had to buy a different case)
  • The thickness makes it strange on the finger print scanner area
  • Costly compared to most screen protectors

In summary I am removing my screen protector after six weeks of usage. I do wish I could get my money back but in the end it protected my phone well during that time. But every time I read an article where the first letter of every line was hidden I was reminded how much this thing frustrated me. When I realized my phone case was larger than I wanted, because I had to find an alternative case, I was reminded once again of how much this thing frustrated me. When I try to unlock my phone via the fingerprint scanner but get a read error due to the added depth of the screen protector, I am reminded, well you get the idea.

I'm sure others will, or do, love the OP3 screen protector from OP but it's just not for me.

Attachments

• OP3_gross.jpg
    OP3_gross.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 4,401
  • OP3_all.jpg
    OP3_all.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 4,418
  • OP3_text.jpg
    OP3_text.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 4,429

MrFunEGUY

Oct 5, 2012
unlimitedclan.net
Pretty much my same experience. Only bought it because I thought they had fixed their problems when they put it back on their site. LOL, no. They did not. I'm only keeping it on because I don't want to spend money on another screen protector.

mwbuss8

May 3, 2015
Hanoi
The only time I notice the edges is on select websites. It usually isn't an issue
My big issue is that I ordered 2 and they only sent 1. They don't want to fix the issue. I've been back and forth going on 3 weeks now. I requested they check shipping weight, since it departed from their facility. They keep saying the same stuff over and over, telling me they aren't going to open an investigation. I've let them know I'd be sharing my experience. I like the products I receive, but I can't support a company that steals from its customers, and this one stole $20 from me.

Munk0

Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
The only time I notice the edges is on select websites. It usually isn't an issue.

I can appreciate that it isn't so noticeable on most websites. For me the image I had attached of the cut off screen is from an app that I use daily so I see the flaw every day. Also now that I have taken the screen protector off the phone the display is noticeably wider. I feel I have a wider phone even though it's probably just a few mm different.

geekmax

Sep 25, 2015
This is a very important feedback as I was planning to buy the same under the impression that it should be perfect as made & sold by OnePlus directly. Now I will think twice before ordering one. thanks for the review.

geekmax

Sep 25, 2015
Of course it is a personal choice. I'm using Spigen black case since I bought OP3. May not be the best out there but I kinda like it. Now I'm looking for a transparent case that won't turn yellowish or change colour in time.

kvaju

May 24, 2011
Mostar
Google Pixel 5
Hmm, can you link one site that you can not see those letters you wrote?
I really dont see any problem, on any site or app I use, only in recovery, but that is very rare, and I dont mind that.

I would like you send me the link because I want to see are there maybe some v2 I have that is better than yours, I'm really happy with mine, its perfect.

Munk0

Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
Hmm, can you link one site that you can not see those letters you wrote?

This is not a website but rather an app called "ip cam viewer". But that is just one aspect of the items that I dislike about the screen protector. There's the weight, the width/height of it, the thickness and the cost. There are positives too but I believe I listed my perspective on the pro's and con's.

Honestly, everything that you view on your screen is being cut off with this protector. It's just how much of the readable space is being lost. I tell you now that I have the cover off my screen is wider. It's like a have a new phone.

MrWilsonxD

May 1, 2016
A smartphone is like a girl: it's naked that it is the most beautiful and the most pleasant to touch. We just need to take care of her.

:p
I couldn't agree with this more. But sometimes when your girl is wearing bootyshorts and a low cut shirt and it's 0° you gotta get her to cover up or shell get sick and die. ???

Masteryates

Apr 30, 2013
London
The protector cutting off pixels at the edges of the screen would be a, "deal breaker," for me. :crying:

Thanks for the review Munk0. :highfive:

Targaeryan

Aug 21, 2013
Of course it is a personal choice. I'm using Spigen black case since I bought OP3. May not be the best out there but I kinda like it. Now I'm looking for a transparent case that won't turn yellowish or change colour in time.
Ringke Fusion smoke black version.. 3 months and no yellow tint..

Tapatalk を使用して私の ONEPLUS A3003 から送信

geekmax

Sep 25, 2015
Ringke Fusion smoke black version.. 3 months and no yellow tint..

Tapatalk を使用して私の ONEPLUS A3003 から送信

What about clear version? Smoke black probably won't turn yellow because of its color. The base part is made with a fiber-like material in both clear & smoke black types and therefore it will also won't turn yellowish.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OP3_fancy.jpg

Here is my review of the official OnePlus 3 Tempered Glass Screen Protector (3/3T) direct from OnePlus AND after about six weeks of usage. This screen protector has some huge pro's and some huge con's and I find I can't seem to say something positive without turning around and saying something negative. So I'll just jump right in and say it is the strongest screen protector I have ever used out of over 15 devices I've owned. BUT this strength means that it the phone is heavier by 12 grams, thicker by .6mm and can interfere with some phone cases due to its edge to edge size. I had to buy another phone case because my thin one kept pushing against the screen protector and injecting air bubbles. ARGH!

When applying the screen protector the black/white border, depending upon the color of protector you purchased, pretty much hides any air bubbles you might normally get with other screen protectors. BUT the black/white border also cuts off the right and left-hand side of the screen to where your text gets cut off (see image below for an example). Due to the thickness the fingerprint scanner is also recessed making scanning your fingerprint odd and a little less accurate. I found that I actually get more fingerprint scan errors.

The oleophobic coating makes sliding your finger across the screen a delight. Even my Pixel XL wielding friend had to agree that it was nice. The edge to edge protector visually is the best looking protector I have used which is another plus. Listed below is a quick summary of my Pro's and Con's.

The screen protector is great in these areas:
    • Fingerprint and smudge resistant
    • Finger glides VERY smoothly
    • Covers most everything edge to edge
    • Cut outs for front camera, speaker and fingerprint scanner
    • Very strong

The screen protector is not so great in these areas:
    • Cuts off the left-hand and right-hand side of the screen
    • Heavy in that it adds 12 grams to the 158 grams of the phone
    • Thick in that it adds .6mm to the 7.35mm of the phone
    • Isn't compatible with some phone cases (too wide, I had to buy a different case)
    • The thickness makes it strange on the finger print scanner area
    • Costly compared to most screen protectors

In summary I am removing my screen protector after six weeks of usage. I do wish I could get my money back but in the end it protected my phone well during that time. But every time I read an article where the first letter of every line was hidden I was reminded how much this thing frustrated me. When I realized my phone case was larger than I wanted, because I had to find an alternative case, I was reminded once again of how much this thing frustrated me. When I try to unlock my phone via the fingerprint scanner but get a read error due to the added depth of the screen protector, I am reminded, well you get the idea.

I'm sure others will, or do, love the OP3 screen protector from OP but it's just not for me.
    A smartphone is like a girl: it's naked that it is the most beautiful and the most pleasant to touch. We just need to take care of her.

:p
    I couldn't agree with this more. But sometimes when your girl is wearing bootyshorts and a low cut shirt and it's 0° you gotta get her to cover up or shell get sick and die. ?

I agree, but ... WTF ?! you know my girlfriend ?! :laugh:
    And a good case is a sexy dress, transparent case a bikini and the ones that is covered up totally in black tends to explode. :p

Hum... of course it's a question of taste. I've the transparent Orzly but I dont use it. The phone is fat and the rubber contact it's not sexy I think.
    No dots? No rainbow effect`?

not with the official curved tg from oneplus. it has adhesive on the whole thing, unlike the ones with dots or halos.