[KERNEL] ElementalX 3/3T

Search This thread

EViollet

Aug 9, 2010
Google Pixel 5
The app is not designed for elemental, its designed for any kernel and device. No need to uninstall it. It works fine with stock or any other custom kernel (except boeffla, which changes all the sysfs paths)

Like all of my kernels and apps, EXKM is completely noninvasive. It will not change or modify your system in any way unless you specifically tell it to.

Which is EXACTLY the reason why I told him to uninstall it. He wanted to get back to the previous situation and configuration with ABSOLUTELY no issues. I know that your app isn't exclusively for your kernel, and can change the stock kernel configuration. So uninstalling it is the best solution. :)

Regards,

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
i just flash the kernel today and followed this settings:
https://youtu.be/ZSa-9aWmTFk

ill observe if it will improve the battery. im noticing a little hiccups and performance degradation but tolerable, all for battery, im fine with that. this is beast enough anyway.

i just wonder why cant oneplus fix the adaptive brightness. adapter brightness here is very fine and accurate.
I already tried Mike's settings. No change in battery life. At least not with my usage pattern... which clearly doesn't match his.

I think that you'll reach 10 hours of SOT if you turn the screen brightness all the way down. And read offline articles...

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Hey @flar2 I'm gonna return the OP3 (can't deal with their support anymore, I quit!) and grab a 6P. What's your daily driver phone?

angdaminaman

Feb 4, 2016
No, there won't.
If you install the app designed for elementalX, be sure to uninstall it afterwards, just to be sure. But, there won't be any problems.
Guaranteed.

I already tried Mike's settings. No change in battery life. At least not with my usage pattern... which clearly doesn't match his.

I think that you'll reach 10 hours of SOT if you turn the screen brightness all the way down. And read offline articles...

Hey @flar2 I'm gonna return the OP3 (can't deal with their support anymore, I quit!) and grab a 6P. What's your daily driver phone?

i hope it will be positive for me.

if not then ill just experiment myself.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org

My daily driver is the HTC 10. Before that, it was the 6P. And before that, the Nexus 6. And before that, the HTC m8.

nightfox7

Sep 25, 2012
Okay so I've been using this kernel for a little while now. I didn't expect to see huge changes in battery life, but I did expect to see some.
Attached are my results. I took the screenshots when I got to 15% battery life. I am using the Hawkpepper profile. I have seen no improvement with these settings.. maybe even worse than stock. this was very light use of my phone, only a little Pandora and little to no games. Are there better settings to be had or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160928-224854.png
    Screenshot_20160928-224854.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 378

Puddi_Puddin

May 10, 2015
Overijssel / Oldenzaal
Okay so I've been using this kernel for a little while now. I didn't expect to see huge changes in battery life, but I did expect to see some.
Attached are my results. I took the screenshots when I got to 15% battery life. I am using the Hawkpepper profile. I have seen no improvement with these settings.. maybe even worse than stock. this was very light use of my phone, only a little Pandora and little to no games. Are there better settings to be had or am I doing something wrong?

What do you expect? This CPU is energy efficient as ****ed.

patalao

Jan 24, 2009
Feira
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 3T
This is not the place to talk about profiles.
There's a thread for that.
And there are other profiles you can try, and see if there's nothing in the background consuming your battery.

angdaminaman

Feb 4, 2016
sorry for this stupid question, but here is what i am thinking.

surely, overclocking decreases lifespan of the hardware. but does the underclocking prolong it? something stupid came out of my mind that if you dont allow the hardware to work with its designed frequency, for example, underclocked in a long time, and you decided to make it stock again, will it perform the same, or the cpu might get used to underclocked state?

i know this is funny, but im overcare for this phone, im planning to use this for a long time. i bought a phone having a flagship chipset and huge ram for future proofing.

tikizondo94

Oct 24, 2014
Morgantown
All I can say is this kernel rocks, your app rocks, and I love this OP3. I switch back and forth between my OP3 and my 6p. I love them both. But the pure speed of this Op3 and your kernel makes my day. Much appreciated flar2!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: flar2 and Stupifier

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
My daily driver is the HTC 10. Before that, it was the 6P. And before that, the Nexus 6. And before that, the HTC m8.

Awesome to see so much dedication from you. As well as other devs who continue to support other devices even though they no longer use them personally.

I might stick to the OnePlus 3. Trying to sort things out with yet another OnePlus Live Chat operator... so far I only want to strangle two operators, hope the number doesn't increase :)

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

All I can say is this kernel rocks, your app rocks, and I love this OP3. I switch back and forth between my OP3 and my 6p. I love them both. But the pure speed of this Op3 and your kernel makes my day. Much appreciated flar2!!

Oh, great, you have both! Prepare to be bombarded with questions. Just kidding, I only have a couple. So you'd choose the OP3 over the 6P? How's battery life between both of them? And which has the best screen (in terms of both brightness and clarity)? I think the sound experience is out of the question. :D

Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
sorry for this stupid question, but here is what i am thinking.

surely, overclocking decreases lifespan of the hardware. but does the underclocking prolong it? something stupid came out of my mind that if you dont allow the hardware to work with its designed frequency, for example, underclocked in a long time, and you decided to make it stock again, will it perform the same, or the cpu might get used to underclocked state?

i know this is funny, but im overcare for this phone, im planning to use this for a long time. i bought a phone having a flagship chipset and huge ram for future proofing.

Basically, it's heat that degrades a chip. Anything that keeps the chip cooler will prolong its lifespan. But, I suspect this will have negligible impact unless you are talking about many years of daily use. Battery degradation will happen before chip degradation.

Reactions: angdaminaman

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
Basically, it's heat that degrades a chip. Anything that keeps the chip cooler will prolong its lifespan. But, I suspect this will have negligible impact unless you are talking about many years of daily use. Battery degradation will happen before chip degradation.

Heat also helps with battery degradation. And since the battery on the OnePlus 3 doesn't even get warmer while charging (as well as the chip itself), I guess it's safe to assume that this device will last for years!

Unless, of course, some safety mechanism fails & heats starts to build up like crazy, eventually leading to an "explosion". But I doubt that'll happen. But who knows, with all this Note 7 situation, I guess nobody can know for sure.

This is another reason why I am considering ditching my decision to give the OnePlus 3 back and get a 6P. Heat.

@angdaminaman, I followed Mike's instructions (the YouTube guy, the one who claims he achieved 10 hours of SOT with this kernel) and underclocked the CPU, GPU, disabled touch boost and disabled one of the two BIG cores. I was unable to detect any stuttering / lag. So I don't see why anyone would need to overclock. And even with the default settings (no underclocking, all cores enabled), the phone barely gets warm, while still being lightning fast. So I'm definitely AGAINST overclocking this device - seriously, you really don't need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: angdaminaman

tikizondo94

Oct 24, 2014
Morgantown
Awesome to see so much dedication from you. As well as other devs who continue to support other devices even though they no longer use them personally.

I might stick to the OnePlus 3. Trying to sort things out with yet another OnePlus Live Chat operator... so far I only want to strangle two operators, hope the number doesn't increase :)

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Oh, great, you have both! Prepare to be bombarded with questions. Just kidding, I only have a couple. So you'd choose the OP3 over the 6P? How's battery life between both of them? And which has the best screen (in terms of both brightness and clarity)? I think the sound experience is out of the question. :D
The screen is phenomenal on my 6p. It beats my OP3 completely. And I also like the extra screen real estate on the 6p. When it comes to battery, I run Xposed with amplify and AppOpps on my OP3 along with flars kernel and hawkpepper profile. I can get through an entire day no problem. I don't game on my devices. My 6p I run Uber nougat with Kylo kernel and there's an assortment of governor profiles to choose from. All in all. There about the same. When it comes to flat out speed and scrolling. The OP3 comes ahead "in my opinion". Both devices have amazing ROM support. But OP has the option of MIuI. Which I run from time to time. I really can't choose a winner. I'd say get both lol.

ajaysoranam

Aug 15, 2013
@flar2
GPU freq stuck at 214?
i know this issue(if you could call it that) has been brought to your knowledge before and you said that it was in slumber state, what i wanted to know is that have you implemented anything to show that the gpu is actually "idling" in ex kernel app, if not will you be kind enough to do so... its a real eye sore for ocd people like myself.... :p
i am running oos 3.2.7 wit kernel version 24 with your latest app version.

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
The screen is phenomenal on my 6p. It beats my OP3 completely. And I also like the extra screen real estate on the 6p. When it comes to battery, I run Xposed with amplify and AppOpps on my OP3 along with flars kernel and hawkpepper profile. I can get through an entire day no problem. I don't game on my devices. My 6p I run Uber nougat with Kylo kernel and there's an assortment of governor profiles to choose from. All in all. There about the same. When it comes to flat out speed and scrolling. The OP3 comes ahead "in my opinion". Both devices have amazing ROM support. But OP has the option of MIuI. Which I run from time to time. I really can't choose a winner. I'd say get both lol.

I can't get both, I'd rather have some money left you know :silly:

If my RMA goes as planned, I'm gonna keep the OP3 once they replace it. If not... 6P it is...

tikizondo94

Oct 24, 2014
Morgantown
I can't get both, I'd rather have some money left you know :silly:

If my RMA goes as planned, I'm gonna keep the OP3 once they replace it. If not... 6P it is...
Honestly you can't go wrong with either or. I've had my 6p for the last year, came from a N6, OP2, OP1, N5, HTC m8. My 6p is still amazing and I still switch off to it weekly. But for 399 out the door you just can't beat the performance of the OP3.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Unn113

angdaminaman

Feb 4, 2016
first of all, im very thankful for answering my questions even though its a noob one. im loving this community now, lots of helpful guys.

sir, so you are saying underclocking wont result any chip degradation in long term. obviously, overclocking will degrade chips because of heat. what i worry about is underclocking, because im going that way. i just have the "thinking" that the chip might get used to underclock state if underclocked for a long time, and if ever i want to revert back in stock in the future, it might not perform as it used to before underclocking, thus, decreased performance. (so thats what im worried about)

anyway, since you said, basically heat degrades chip, therefore, underclocking theoretically prolongs it (of course, except for other factors)

im buying the app now. the dev seems active and i love the features.

btw, the gesture is good. but is it possible to add some feature like double tap to sleep while on lockscreen? OOS doesnt have that but in community build. i cant swipe to sleep while on lockscreen, i always hit the voice or camera eitherway while swiping.

Heat also helps with battery degradation. And since the battery on the OnePlus 3 doesn't even get warmer while charging (as well as the chip itself), I guess it's safe to assume that this device will last for years!

Unless, of course, some safety mechanism fails & heats starts to build up like crazy, eventually leading to an "explosion". But I doubt that'll happen. But who knows, with all this Note 7 situation, I guess nobody can know for sure.

This is another reason why I am considering ditching my decision to give the OnePlus 3 back and get a 6P. Heat.

@angdaminaman, I followed Mike's instructions (the YouTube guy, the one who claims he achieved 10 hours of SOT with this kernel) and underclocked the CPU, GPU, disabled touch boost and disabled one of the two BIG cores. I was unable to detect any stuttering / lag. So I don't see why anyone would need to overclock. And even with the default settings (no underclocking, all cores enabled), the phone barely gets warm, while still being lightning fast. So I'm definitely AGAINST overclocking this device - seriously, you really don't need it.

im really not comfortable disabling 1core. i have this thinking that the other core might wear out. sorry for being noob sir. yes you are right, im not overclocking in any way. this phone is still beast when underclocked (followed the youtube video, but havent disabled any cores and touch boost).

thanks for the advise sir.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ElementalX Kernel
    for OnePlus 3 and 3T
    p2214177205-11.jpg

ElementalX is designed for maximum stability.
    It is made for people who depend on their phone every day.

Features
    • Easy installation and setup with Aroma installer
    • Wake Gestures support (sweep2wake & doubletap2wake)
    • Notification LED control
    • Sound control
    • Advanced color control
    • Sweep2sleep
    • Backlight dimmer
    • Overclock or underclock CPU
    • Adjust or disable vibration
    • FIOPS, BFQ, CFQ, deadline, noop and SIO i/o schedulers
    • NTFS r/w support
    • Option to disable fsync
    • performance and power optimizations
    • Option to disable gesture vibration
    • USB OTG support
    • Dash charge
    • WireGuard support
    • Supports MultiROM
    • Does not force encryption
    • Compatible with systemless root

Installation

1. Flash in recovery

For maximum compatibility with all ROMs, ElementalX uses your existing ramdisk.
    Do NOT flash this over other custom kernels!
    You should only flash ElementalX over the kernel that came with your ROM!!!

Notes

EX Kernel Manager can be used to configure settings and update or install the kernel quickly and easily.

You can also use my free app Button Mapper to configure the navigation buttons.

Google+ Community

Downloads

OxygenOS/Stock-based ROMs (Android 9)
    ElementalX-OP3-5.00

OxygenOS/Stock-based ROMs (Android 8.0.0)
    ElementalX-OP3-4.06

LineageOS based ROMs (Android 8.1.0)
    ElementalX-OP3-4.01-los

OxygenOS/HydrogenOS/Stock-based ROMs(Android 7.1.1)
    ElementalX-OP3-3.09

LineageOS based ROMs (Android 7.1.2)
    ElementalX-OP3-3.19-los

OxygenOS/HydrogenOS/Stock-based ROMs(Android 7.0)

ElementalX-OP3-2.07

OxygenOS/HydrogenOS/Stock-based ROMs(Android 6.0.1)
    ElementalX-OP3-0.32

CyanogenMod 13 based ROMs
    ElementalX-OP3-0.39-cm

Source code

Github

XDA:DevDB Information
    ElementalX-OP3, Kernel for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
    flar2
    Source Code: https://github.com/flar2/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8996

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2016-06-24
    Last Updated 2019-05-29
    Update!!!

Here's the update for OxygenOS Nougat.

This is universal for the OP3 and OP3T

OxygenOS Android 7.0
    ElementalX-OP3-2.00

Changes:
    -update for Nougat

And here's an update for LineageOS

LineageOS-based ROMs
    ElementalX-OP3-1.04-los

Changes:
    -LineageOS updates
    I will release updates for Nougat tonight
    Changelog

-add sound control
    -security update

-fix for MultiROM

-OnePlus updates (including Dash Charge)

-KCAL advanced color control (@tbalden)
    -Notification light control (@Lord Boeffla)
    -update installer

-enable wifi on cm-based ROMs

0.06:
    -revert shut down big cluster while screen is off

0.05:
    -shut down big cluster while screen is off
    -enable USB OTG by default
    -add support for PS3 controllers
    -do not force encryption

0.04:
    -add backlight dimmer
    -disable stock doubletap if dt2w is disabled in app