FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

One Plus 3 Rear camera wont focus!

190 posts
Thanks Meter: 30

By Darkweb_182, Senior Member on 2nd January 2020, 12:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The rear camera on my one plus 3 sudedenly stopped focussing
It worked great but about a week back, it suddenly went bad. I've tried using manual focus but that doesn't work either.
It only works at times when I vigously shake it and then it goes bad again

Has anyone encountered this issue? Any fixes?
There are no proper service centres where I live.
3rd January 2020, 09:43 AM |#2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 2,198

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweb_182

It worked great but about a week back, it suddenly went bad. I've tried using manual focus but that doesn't work either.

Probably a result of the camera module becoming loose due to a fall (not necessarily recent). Search on XDA for this issue. I remember reading about atleast a couple of threads/posts about having solved this issue. You will have to open the back of the phone, locate the camera module and fix it. Or order a new module and replace the old one. Costwise it is not too high.
9th January 2020, 09:36 AM |#3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 503

Donate to Me
More
Replace your camera - this is ONLY permanent fix.
I done it on my OP3T and it works again.
9th January 2020, 02:30 PM |#4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Had exactly the same issue (resolved temporarily after vigorous shaking - it's a known issue and quite common) last year with my OnePlus 3. TL;DR: Definitely contact OnePlus and they'll replace the camera module for free assuming no other physical or water damage. I have in the past had mediocre experiences with OnePlus support, so was frankly astonished at the way and speed in which they handled this. Should have a year or two of life left in the phone now and certainly a new sense of brand loyalty for future purchases.

As for my experience:

- Problems started in around February.
- Finally contacted OnePlus support via official chat in late November, was asked to factory reset to see if that helped. Didn't help.
- (25/11) They fast tracked my RMA request, even though out of warranty.
- (27/11) Phone sent by courier from UK to Poland for repair (as with you, no service centres here)
- (28/11) Device repaired
- (29/11) Phone sent back to me
- (02/12) Phone received a week after being sent and camera working perfectly. Total cost to me £0.

Side note: Definitely get a Google Camera mod once your phone is fixed if you don't already have one. Breathes a new lease of life into the camera with some software smarts. I use this one: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a.../changelog849/ as recommended by the XDA Google Camera Port Hub.
12th January 2020, 05:33 AM |#5  
Flag Kerala
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Replaced for free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweb_182

They replaced it for free as it was a manufacturing defect even though warranty was over.
Today, 02:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
One year ago my oneplus 3 experienced a hard time when rear camera focusing. I was in china, so I called oneplus support and the guy one the phone told me that i can mail my phone to the services center in beijing and then they replace a new rear camera for free(even though the warranty are expired).

Replace the rear camera may be the only fix. Perhaps you can call the services number on oneplus website and ask for help
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)