FORUMS

[Guide] How to edit build.prop without Root (fix memory management)

566 posts
Thanks Meter: 146

By scorpion667, Senior Member on 6th October 2016, 01:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
We are fighting a losing battle against Google's Safety Net via Systemless Root and various mods which mask root.

For those of us who enjoy Android Pay this may be a worthy alternative to systemless root, which has and will continue getting blocked by Google:

-Ensure adb and fastboot is installed on your PC
-Boot to fastboot and install TWRP if you haven't already
Code:
fastboot flash recovery filename.img
-Reboot to Recovery (TWRP); select Mount -> check System and enable editing System when it prompts you
-Connect device to PC:
Code:
cd C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Desktop
Code:
adb pull /system/build.prop
-The build.prop will be downloaded to your desktop
-Save a copy of the build.prop just in case and make the desired changes via Notepad++ (recommended). To fix the memory utilization look for the line which shows:
Code:
ro.sys.fw.bg_apps_limit=32
and change the 32 to a value between 32 and 100. I find with it set to 90 I can best utilize the 6GB of RAM. I am seeing between 4.1 to 4.4GB utilization in normal use and as high as 4.9 when I'm trying to fill the RAM.
-Once done, run this command to push the file back to phone:
Code:
adb push build.prop /system/
-Fix permissions as not to trip Safety Net (Android Pay):
Code:
adb shell
cd system
chmod 644 build.prop
-you can leave TWRP installed if you want but you can only take OTA with stock recovery. To install stock recovery reboot to fastboot and do:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
I take zero credit for the above. I wanted a solution for having proper memory utilization without root (Android Pay without the hassle) and found the commands on androiding.how

The only problem with the above setup is no adblock (AdAway). I chose to purchase an AdGuard license (root-less adblock) as a workaround.
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpion667 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scorpion667 Ad-Free
7th October 2016, 02:15 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 685

More
Setting ro.sys.fw.bg_apps_limit=90 seems a bit high.......I noticed most Build.Prop on Custom ROMs are lower than that (between 40 and 60).
7th October 2016, 05:22 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 181

More
But what's the point of this when you have to unlock the bootloader to do so?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)