TWRP and Root for Android 8.0 Oreo

Search This thread

Edo 91

Oct 4, 2012
If you want to keep it you must root your phone after flashing TWRP.

-Flash TWRP.
-Reboot recovery
-Flash Magisk 15.2
-Reboot system
-You are done.

I've done this, the twrp is kept if go on recovery with the phone powered off (volume down + power on), I've tried many times, but if I reboot in the advanced menu goes away at the first try...

iambo

Jul 9, 2007
I've done this, the twrp is kept if go on recovery with the phone powered off (volume down + power on), I've tried many times, but if I reboot in the advanced menu goes away at the first try...

Hi,
Theese are, exactly, all steps I do when I upgrade my phone and I lose recovery:

-Reboot in fastboot mode (phone connected via USB, fastboot software installed, etc ...).
-fastboot flash recovery twrp.img (from PC command line).
-Power off.
-Restart in recovery using keys: Volumen Down + Power Button.
-Flash Magisk 15.2.
-Reboot system.

I read it is important to restart in recovery using keys step first time after flashing the recovery.
That's all I do and it works for me, I can restart in TWRP recovery via advanced menu.

Crazy32

Dec 12, 2012
Bückeburg
Google Pixel 6
Hi guys. I think I made a mistake. I was on Omni Rom on my 3T and had flashed the newest Oreo Beta for 3T. Now I have the stock recovery. How can I get back TWRP? I can't flash the blue_spark.img in the stock recovery.

Thx for your help in advance :)

kawasaki5

Aug 6, 2011
Hi , Can you help me
after install in twrp SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip, the system does not load , hangs on the logo

May 24, 2017
Bucharest
Please, guys need some help! If I flash this very twrp and root my phone on stable 5.0.2 will actually work? Another thing, if I do successfully root, will that process erase my data? New to oneplus, sorry..

Please, guys need some help! If I flash this very twrp and root my phone on stable 5.0.2 will actually work? Another thing, if I do successfully root, will that process erase my data? New to oneplus, sorry..

Yes, unlocking the bootloader will erase the data from your device. So take the backup before you start the process.

Also, I was using the rooted stable version with TWRP before changing to beta version, so it is possible to stay rooted with Stable version. But you need to be careful before updating the OTA. You need to get the full package and update it via TWRP.

Here's a link you can go through: Oneplus 3 Forum

tecnoworld

Jul 17, 2011
I'm on rom 4.1.5 rooted with old twrp. I want to go to 5.0.2. What are the steps that I should do to avoid loosing data? My guess:
- download twrp custom
- download supersu
- download full 5.02 zip

-reboot in twrp
- install new twrp
- install rom
- install supersu
- install new twrp (again)

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Last edited:

sam 4x

Jun 28, 2013
fastboot is unable to execute twrp img
keeps saying 'couldnt load twrp'

br@inmatr

Feb 9, 2011
Carrollton. Texas 75010
I flashed the latest Open Beta 25 yesterday and it took me some time to figure out how to properly root that. I was searching for a compatible TWRP for Android Oreo and I stumbled upon one when I was reading through pages and pages of comments from our community.

So, I am writing the steps here with the necessary files so that everyone can find it in one place.

This is not my work. All credits go to the original developers. I am just consolidating the steps I followed here. If I am violating any rules, please feel free to close this thread.

Credits:
@akhilnarang for Modified TWRP
@Chainfire For SuperSU

Necessary Downloads:
Oreo Compatible TWRP: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46mMEeAPSYGd3dBbzJhMWJUVE0
SuperSU Zip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46mMEeAPSYGV1U3c3JSRmF2dWs

Steps to install TWRP and Root:

Note: My phone was encrypted when I tried this.

1. Copy the downloaded SuperSU Zip file to your phone.
2. Copy the TWRP file to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed.
3. Turn off your OnePlus 3/3T. Boot your OnePlus 3/3T into Fasboot mode > Press and hold the Volume Up Button + Power Button.
4. Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable.
5. Open a command window on the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Go to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Hold down Shift Key > Right Click on the empty space > Choose ‘Open CMD Here’.
6. Execute the below command in the command window to see if your device is properly connected:
Code:
fastboot devices
7. Make sure the TWRP file is in the ADB folder. Execute the below command to install TWRP on your OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-Oreo-OnePlus-3-3T.img
Do not restart your device upon installation. The procedure is not yet over.
8. Assuming you are now in Fastboot Mode, use the volume buttons and choose ‘Recovery Mode’ and then press the power button to enter TWRP Recovery.
9. Once you are in TWRP > Tap on ‘Install’ > Choose the SuperSU Zip file which you have downloaded from above > Swipe right to flash.
10. Reboot your device.

Let me know if you have any questions/doubts!

Source
I'm thanking and donating to these cats right now!

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Any hopes of unlocking additional LTE or 4G bands on the Chinese version running Oreo or should I just invest in the American model?:confused:

Karimano24

Apr 18, 2018
I flashed the latest Open Beta 25 yesterday and it took me some time to figure out how to properly root that. I was searching for a compatible TWRP for Android Oreo and I stumbled upon one when I was reading through pages and pages of comments from our community.

So, I am writing the steps here with the necessary files so that everyone can find it in one place.

This is not my work. All credits go to the original developers. I am just consolidating the steps I followed here. If I am violating any rules, please feel free to close this thread.

Credits:
@Chainfire For SuperSU

Necessary Downloads:
Oreo Compatible TWRP: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46mMEeAPSYGd3dBbzJhMWJUVE0

3. Turn off your OnePlus 3/3T. Boot your OnePlus 3/3T into Fasboot mode > Press and hold the Volume Up Button + Power Button.
5. Open a command window on the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Go to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Hold down Shift Key > Right Click on the empty space > Choose ‘Open CMD Here’.
6. Execute the below command in the command window to see if your device is properly connected:
Code:
fastboot devices
7. Make sure the TWRP file is in the ADB folder. Execute the below command to install TWRP on your OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo:
Code:
8. Assuming you are now in Fastboot Mode, use the volume buttons and choose ‘Recovery Mode’ and then press the power button to enter TWRP Recovery.
9. Once you are in TWRP > Tap on ‘Install’ > Choose the SuperSU Zip file which you have downloaded from above > Swipe right to flash.
10. Reboot your device.

Source

Would this work on an Xperia XZ 2?

medsam

Oct 11, 2007
Problem after passing to OOS 5.0.3, Probleme après passage à OOS 5.0.3

Hello dreams. Sri,
I just did the update of my OnePlus 3 to the version OOS 5.0.3, no more TWRP or ROOT, no possibility with ADB.
I came across your tuto and miracle everything is going beautifully.
Thank you so much for your help, I'm very happy tonight I'm going to sleep better.

Bonjour dreams.sri,
je viens de faire la mise à jour de mon oneplus 3 vers la version OOS 5.0.3, plus de TWRP ni de ROOT, aucune possibilité avec ADB.
Je suis tombé sur ton tuto et miracle tout se passe à merveille.
Merci beaucoup pour ton aide, je suis trés content, ce soir je vais mieux dormir.

ireaper4592

Feb 12, 2014
i unlocked my bootloader flashed twrp rebooted straight to it and it was working i then rebooted and now i cant get back to twrp only stock recovery and pc wont recognise adb anymore?

dakonga

Nov 20, 2009
thanks to all, rooting confirmed to be working on 5.0.3
what i did:
-remove screen lock
-boot into fastboot
-fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-oneplus3.img
-power off
-boot into recovery
-flash Magisk 16
-clear chache
-reboot system

->rooted.

SourPower

Nov 21, 2014
East
what can i do, i tried updating to 5.0.4 and suddenly i cannot get passed twrp password. have reset and taken off unlock from phone.

im stuck not able to get twrp to see any of my storage and i cant get into twrp twice in a row, so if i fastboot and flash twrp thru adb and then boot into twrp, it asks me for the password, if i hit cancel it just shows 0 storage. ive tried to go to adb sideload but it just sits there. I have the backup i made thru twrp before trying to update.

Last edited:

oVeRdOsE.

Sep 19, 2011
MTL
Would this work on an Xperia XZ 2?

oh yeah !

Ive just rooted a 8.0 2018 july updated totally stock OP3, and it was just like others Oneplus.

- unlock bootloader
- flash twrp (link in the 1st post)
- flash magisk 15.3 , 15.3 might be a safe way, since Oneplus 5 owners got few issue flashing 16.0 right away.
- then I've updated to 16.0

everything is running great, I even put franco kernel.

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
oh yeah !

Ive just rooted a 8.0 2018 july updated totally stock OP3, and it was just like others Oneplus.

- unlock bootloader
- flash twrp (link in the 1st post)
- flash magisk 15.3 , 15.3 might be a safe way, since Oneplus 5 owners got few issue flashing 16.0 right away.
- then I've updated to 16.0

everything is running great, I even put franco kernel.

Did you read the post which you are answering?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Credits:
    @Chainfire For SuperSU

Necessary Downloads:

Code:
    fastboot devices
    Code:
    10. Reboot your device.

Source
    TWRP Oreo 3/3T + open beta 27 + Magisk 14.3 beta == win
    I do remember someone saying that they have successfully flashed magisk. It involves setting SElinux to permissive from bootloader or something. I don't remember it very well. I will update the OP after I dig up that info. :good:
    Yes I have. But it keeps loosing root. And sometimes doesn't boot in one go. I flashed over ob24 without wiping anything.

Steps:
    1. Flash oreo compatible twrp
    2. Flash Oreo OB ROM
    3. Flash DM-Verity and Force Encryption Disabler For OOS Oreo.zip (credit @Xennet) see https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-3t/how-to/disable-dm-verity-force-encryption-op3t-t3688748 for attachment
    3. Flash oreo compatible twrp again
    4. Flash oneplus3 bootloader from OOS 3.2.6. (credit @baskaflyfer) see https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=74158686&postcount=305 for attachment
    5. Phone off
    6. Power on and go straight to bootloader
    7. Issue the cmand 'fastboot OEM selinux permissive'
    8. Reboot to twrp
    9. Flash magisk
    10. Flash attached oneplus3 bootloader from open beta 25. you can make a zip yourself using @baskaflyfer zip
    11. Flash twrp
    12. Reboot to system

Points to note:
    1. This should work on dirty flash over ob24
    2. Should ensure dm-verity is not triggered
    3. Should leave the data partition as is (unencrypted to unencrypted...or encrypted to encrypted)
    4. Some steps are redundant, but no harm in doing them to be on safe side
    EDIT: 5. flashing the new bootloader again may break magisk. hence removed step 10

Cheers.
    Yes, but isn't Oreo package replacing TWRP with OnePlus recovery?

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs

Install the recovery img in TWRP again after the zip. Reboot to recovery to confirm it didn't overwrite TWRP
    Its only possible with oneplus recovery. Trust me.