[ROM+Kernel][EAS-VOX] VertexOS Carbide v3.6 and RenderZenith Kernel 012 (Blueborne)

Light up capacitive keys only when only the keys are pressed (OOS style)?

• Yes

Votes: 248 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 55 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dekefake

Oct 28, 2013
Orleans, France
I acknowledge the bluetooth issues. I'll test the fixes and see about releasing the next official early

I am experiencing this kind of Bluetooth issues too, using Carbide 3.0 dirty flashed from previous build. Can't connect my freshly resetted Moto360, as well as my JBL Charge 2+. The speaker connects to my Skylake hackintosh without trouble. If you need some logs, fell free to PM me

D

Deleted member 2357893

Yes and BFQ probably replaces CFQ I'm the near future. This is a more updated one and it performs the same as CFQ on stock settings!

BFQ is great on desktop but on Android it's very slowly compared to other solution like NOOP, Deadline and the other "simply scheduler" made for flash storage

joshuous

Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2015
BFQ is great on desktop but on Android it's very slowly compared to other solution like NOOP, Deadline and the other "simply scheduler" made for flash storage

There are no regressions with this BFQ. I've done benchmarks in Androbench to test throughout, and I've done app launch test comparisons against CFQ using 24 apps.

I don't think Noop is better. You'll see janks and stutters when there are updates in the background if you use Noop.

Konskl

Feb 13, 2015
@joshuous have you found out the reason of the screen not lighting up during incoming calls with the log provided by @Jagdish84 ? I can fetch some more if i get some free time... Also i got some black screens which needed the phone to be restarted by the power button to resolve. Clean flash - haven't tried the sdcardfs disabler by eng.stk yet.

D

Deleted member 2357893

The problem is not the ufs memory test, the problem is the test with slower memory like emmc. I prefer test scheduler on old devices like N5, Z3 exc exc

LMcR92

Jul 15, 2015
Aberdeen

joshuous

Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2015
What I instead face is that if i enable Bluetooth battery status from systemui tuner the Bluetooth icon vanishes and if disabled the icon reappear on status bar.
Also can you suggest how to take screenshot as i couldnt find the option anywhere.

Screenshot on Android is almost always Power Button + Volume down.

You don't need to take screenshots for me. I mentioned it is a known problem, so you don't need to send me anything. It has been fixed in my test builds already

calvinistmac

Jan 27, 2012
Somewhere in Tennessee
Google Pixel 7
Yeah I use zen or maple if it is there.

To anyone wanting a layman's breakdown of schedulers, I/O and TCP options here is a great guide. http://androidmodguide.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/welcome.html?m=1

Zen or Maple (not sure about Maple) are not going to be your best options for EAS. Zen was good over on HMP kernels (Boeffla, eng.stk, etc...). The BFQ i/o scheduler in here has been tested by Josh personally (believe me he knows his stuff regarding EAS and kernels) and works really well, plus I've tested it and it gives great performance and the battery life is just as outstanding. Don't go messing with the kernel settings on this rom unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing as you can mess things up pretty quick.

Please do a little more research before recommending stuff like this and possibly impacting other users' experience in a negative way.

Last edited:

LMcR92

Jul 15, 2015
Aberdeen
Zen or Maple (not sure about Maple) are not going to be your best options for EAS. Zen was good over on HMP kernels (Boeffla, eng.stk, etc...). The BFQ governor in here has been tested by Josh personally (believe me he knows his stuff regarding EAS and kernels) and works really well, plus I've tested it and it gives great performance and the battery life is just as outstanding. Don't go messing with the kernel settings on this rom unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing as you can mess things up pretty quick.

Please do a little more research before recommending stuff like this and possibly impacting other users' experience in a negative way.
Wow slap in the face..... I'm not a kid and that "guide" I posted isn't to impact others it's there to give a easy read description to those who don't fully understand the descriptions that can be full of jargon. They don't need to follow the best to worst scale as every phone and user has there setup they like.
Also I'm not undermining any developer or user this is great ROM and a decent kernel that is new to most people and I am enjoying getting a feel for EAS and is the future of android.

D

Deleted member 2357893

Zen or Maple (not sure about Maple) are not going to be your best options for EAS. Zen was good over on HMP kernels (Boeffla, eng.stk, etc...). The BFQ governor in here has been tested by Josh personally (believe me he knows his stuff regarding EAS and kernels) and works really well, plus I've tested it and it gives great performance and the battery life is just as outstanding. Don't go messing with the kernel settings on this rom unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing as you can mess things up pretty quick.

But it's normal for a scheduler to work well with ufs 2.0 memories, the real big problem is with the past memory like emmc.

PS: I reccomended ZEN V2 to Engstk and the others dev

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
@joshuous and everybody else

Can you please test this for me? It was happening on Vertex 2.2 (clean flashed) and it still happens now on Vertex 3.0 (dirty flashed).

Go to Wi-Fi and manually add a new network.

Network name - put in whatever (doesn't matter).
Security - choose 802.1x EAP.
EAP method - choose PEAP.
Phase-2 authentication - MSCHAPV2.
CA certificate - Use system certificates / Do not validate (doesn't matter)
Domain, Identity, Password - put in whatever you want.

The "Domain" field only becomes available if you select "Use system certificates" for CA certificate. Doesn't really matter, as the output is the same : force close. On Marshmallow, this didn't happen. :eek:

Is this related to the Wi-Fi bug that's been making headlines (enable/disable Airplane Mode in order for the Wi-Fi menu to function properly & refresh the SSID list)?

Last edited:

calvinistmac

Jan 27, 2012
Somewhere in Tennessee
Google Pixel 7
Wow slap in the face..... I'm not a kid and that "guide" I posted isn't to impact others it's there to give a easy read description to those who don't fully understand the descriptions that can be full of jargon. They don't need to follow the best to worst scale as every phone and user has there setup they like.
Also I'm not undermining any developer or user this is great ROM and a decent kernel that is new to most people and I am enjoying getting a feel for EAS and is the future of android.

I never said you were a kid. I wasn't talking about the guide either as I've looked at that guide for reference. I was talking about telling people to use Zen or Maple on this ROM. These i/o schedulers are not good for this ROM and can cause issues. It's best to stick with what the ROM defaults with as EAS is a completely different bird than your standard run of the mill kernels (HMP).

Now, again I ask, please do some research before posting i/o scheduler recommendations for an EAS rom so you don't mess up people's experience. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but you can't just haul off and recommend something that it looks like you know nothing about.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

But it's normal for a scheduler to work well with ufs 2.0 memories, the real big problem is with the past memory like emmc.

Yes but EAS is a totally different bird that these particular i/o schedulers aren't suited for. More research needs to be done before a recommendation is made for this ROM. As I told the other gentleman, don't recommend these i/o schedulers without doing some research first. Stick with what the ROM comes with.

ManuBBXX

May 18, 2013
Aix en provence
Right here we go.
EAS is a completely different breed compared to the conventional HMP system, where it serves an entirely different purpose of achieving the optimal balance between performance and efficiency, with the latter taking the top spot. EAS achieves that via cleverer tasks placement by which the system determines which is the more efficient cluster for the task to be processed, as well as categorising the different tasks into cgroups (top-app, foreground and background, in order from highest priority to lowest priority) by which each cgroup receives its sliver of the available firepower (cpuset). EAS also offers the capability of inflating the perceived load, that's determined by the load trackers, of the task in any of the cgroups via its schedtune.boost setting, and whether the task should be processed by all the cpu cores available or only by the cluster the task has been placed on via its schedtune.prefer_idle setting. One of the key features of EAS is lifting almost all the processing from the governor to the CPU scheduler (no it is not the I/O scheduler, something different) and letting it take much much more control, leaving the CPU governor to only do the frequency determination part, which unsurprisingly relies heavily on data supplied by the scheduler. With all that said, it is easily deduced that EAS is not all about governors and governor settings and the like, rather a much cleverer solution that serves the purpose of seeking the best balance between performance and efficiency, and to ensure the CPU is not overdoing a task or the CPU governor is overshooting, draining a lot of power as a consequence of that. EAS is about ensuring you get the smoothest UI possible while retaining as much power as possible. However, that does not mean that EAS is lame poor when it comes to performance. Sometimes, if not in most cases, this cleverer tasks placement makes tasks get processed faster. Conserving battery does not necessarily mean crushing performance. This explains that app launches are on-par with HMP if not ahead of it sometimes.

Now on to your question. After going through that brief explanation of EAS, i think your question is actually invalid, since it is not an apple-to-apple comparison anymore. EAS seeks for the optimal balance between performance and efficiency. Should there be a commit to improve performance while not being at the expense of efficiency, EAS should have that stuffed in, whereas HMP is prioritising performance higher than efficiency by design. What Burnout does is taking HMP and making it even more performance oriented, hence it is very unlikely to face micro lags with it. However, HMP still misses the cleverer tasks placement, which can show its canines if you have so much processes going in the background, where in that area EAS takes the lead quite noticeably.

Conclusion: You should try and see what suits you more. But something i can safely say is, EAS is more than satisfactory when it comes to performance from the perspective of a man after the best performance, and with the battery gains you yield with EAS, it can go better.

Hope i helped and clear the confusion. Looking forward to your feedback on your EAS experience.
-TDK

Thanks a lot for this explanation chief !!
I loved you burnut profiles, but I believe I love too much that newx EAS features !
Not sure about battery life yet, since I use it since yesterday, but the ROM feels smoother( except in games, where I have micro stutters, joshuous says it could be caused by sdcardfs module commit, but I didn't catch how desactivating it.. )
But the entire ROM has a feel of more smooth, faster ! Even with a perf oriented profile like burnout_pr4 with Ex kernel

I think render kernel is great, but vertexOS too !!
And if I'm not wrong, it's in early developement, and will maybe better in the future. Maybe it IS the future of kernels..
How do you feel it ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback and experience sharing !

Reactions: Mostafa Wael

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
The problem is not the ufs memory test, the problem is the test with slower memory like emmc. I prefer test scheduler on old devices like N5, Z3 exc exc

The OnePlus 3 and 3T have UFS 2.0, not older eMMC memory, soooooooooo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    *** Disclaimer
    I do not assume responsibility for any issues that befall you when you flash this ROM and kernel.

>> VertexOS.org <<

Introduction
    VertexOS aims to provide a simple but enhanced near-stock AOSP experience with carefully selected features and an emphasis on stability and smoothness. VertexOS features RenderZenith kernel and the Vox Populi Power HAL, which brings EAS support.

Downloads
    VertexOS ROM (RenderZenith kernel is built-in)

RenderZenith kernel (EAS-supported custom ROMs only)

VertexOS features

* EAS support
    * Vox Populi Power HAL (developed by yours truly)
    * Vertex Walls
    * Daydream VR support
    * Disable SIM toggle
    * DASH-charging support (thanks to AOSPA for charging message on lockscreen)
    * OMS (please install Substratum separately)
    * SELinux Enforcing
    * OnePlus Camera ported from OOS
    * sRGB toggle (AOSPA)
    * Buttons customization (AOSPA)
    * Battery icon customization (AOSPA)
    * Double tap Launcher3 homescreen to sleep (AOSPA)
    * Double tap lockscreen to sleep
    * Alert Slider
    * Off-screen gestures
    * Slide on statusbar to adjust brightness
    * Night light
    * Unlink ring and notification volume
    * Longpress volume keys for previous/next music track
    * Screenrecorder (toggled with Volume Up + Power)
    * Signature spoofing (for microG)
    * AOSPA's Accidental Touch
    * DCI-P3 calibration for supported displays
    * OOS Camera with Auto-HDR and 60 FPS recording

RenderZenith Kernel features

* Based on @renderbroken's great work with EAS
    * EAS support
    * CPU governors: Sched and Schedutil (default)
    * I/O schedulers: bfq (default), cfq, noop, deadline, zen
    * AdrenoBoost support
    * KCal support
    * Backlight dimmer
    * Sound control
    * Sweep2Sleep
    * Boeffla Touchkey control driver
    * Passes SafetyNet

Recommended setup
    TWRP: 3.1.0-0 Official TWRP (OP3), 3.1.0-1 Official TWRP (OP3T)
    Firmware (use the latest): (OP3), (OP3T)
    Filesystem: EXT4
    Superuser: Magisk
    GApps: Open GApps

Installation
    Make sure you are on the recommended TWRP.
    1. Nandroid backup.
    2. Wipe /cache and /system. If coming from another ROM, wipe /data as well.
    3. Flash recommended firmware.
    4. Flash ROM, GApps, and Magisk.

Bug reports
    No support will be given for problems caused by Xposed, Greenify, Naptime, Titanium Backup, ForceDoze, MicroGMS, other kernels, Substratum themes, different TWRP, different firmware, other tweaks (build.prop, etc).
    * Logcat required. You may use Matlog, Syslog, or ADB through a computer. Share via https://hastebin.com (or equivalents).
    * Clear description of error.
    * Does it happen on clean flash?
    * Did you try to reproduce the error without Substratum themes enabled?

Known issues
    * Reboot is required to enable/disable Music touchscreen gestures after a toggle.
    * 60 FPS video recording is not stable yet. (It now works!)

Slack group
    PM me or (@calvinistmac, @mostafawael) if you would like to join the VertexOS Slack group for test builds, easier bug reports and quicker replies from me :)

Credits and acknowledgements
    * @multi_rom_user and @kash296 for supporting me since the beginning. You guys supported me since the very first alpha build. Without you guys, VertexOS may never have seen the light. My highest gratitude goes to you.
    * @RenderBroken, the best partner I can ask for in working on VertexOS and EAS, and a mentor who taught me more about kernels. Also the man who played a major role in porting EAS to the OP3/3T.
    * @Morphicsn0w for the logo, banner designs and boot animation
    * The testers in the VertexOS and AKT Slack group
    * Google, CAF, AOSPA, LOS, PureNexus, DirtyUnicorns, @myfluxi, @dianlujitao, @sultanxda, @flar2, @LordBoeffla

Source codes
    Device
    Kernel
    ROM

Donations
    If you would like to support me, your words of encouragement mean the most to me.
    However, if you wish to go a little further with a donation, you may do so at https://www.paypal.me/joshuous. Every donation I receive helps me to offset the cost of purchasing my next development device. Thanks :)

vertex_banner_000.png

XDA:DevDB Information
    VertexOS, ROM for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
    joshuous, RenderBroken, calvinistmac, @multi_rom_user, @kash296, @Morphicsn0w
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Use the latest available
    Based On: CAF (LA.UM.5.8.r1-02800-8x98.0)

Version Information

Created 2017-03-12
    Last Updated 2017-09-16
    [Blueborne fixed] VertexOS v3.6 and RenderZenith kernel 012 released!

Downloads
    VertexOS v3.6

RenderZenith 012 PELT

RenderZenith 012 WALT

So I lied, here's another new build. It didn't feel right to leave you guys hanging with the Blueborne vulnerability out there. So I re-downloaded the entire VertexOS source, added the fixes, made some system updates and built it again. Enjoy :)

IMPORTANT: Use the latest firmwares available (stable or beta is fine). OTA flashing process might not work if you're on an older firmware.

I recommend a Nandroid backup and clean flash. If you want to dirty flash from the previous official, please wipe /system and flash ROM, GApps and Magisk.

VertexOS Carbide v3.6 Finale
    * Blueborne fix
    * LineageOS updates
    * CAF LA.UM.5.8.r1-02800-8x98.0 tag

RenderZenith kernel 012
    * LineageOS updates
    Okay some good news. I have CAF Oreo 8.1 booting

ヾ(゚∀゚○)ツ
    This is a big moment guys. Vertex was THE first Aftermarket rom to offer a full EAS experience. And not just Pixel EAS, but newer EAS that the Pixel doesn't even use. This project has grown so much and EAS has grown so much. Ultimately, the goal with partnering with @joshuous was to bring more awareness to EAS. I remember talked to him and saying that I want EAS to blow up, I want more EAS kernels and Roms out there. EAS is the future of Androids development. Now you look and you see EAS is everywhere. Its awesome to see.

There is much more to come from @joshuous , that much I am sure of.

Checkout our website too! Thank you once again to @Morphicsn0w for the slick banner :)

Downloads
    VertexOS v3.5

RenderZenith 011 PELT (re-uploaded)

RenderZenith 011 WALT (re-uploaded)

And here we go :). The last Nougat build. I've learnt and grown a lot during the process of developing VertexOS and later RenderZenith. Many thanks to the people who made it possible, especially to Kaushik and Gary who helped me at the very start of this journey. My appreciation to @RenderBroken for his amazing work, support, partnership and friendship. Thank you to the admins and testers in the VertexOS community for making it a vibrant and wonderful place for learning and being a part of. My deep gratitude to those who sent me donations, which helped to offset a portion of my purchase of the OP5 (yes I bought it a few months ago).

Moving forward, I've begun work on Oreo already. The plan is to continue sticking with CAF, which I have a love-hate relationship with. The OP3 will get more love and receive Vertex Oreo before OP5 does. I'll let you know when a test build is ready as a daily driver ;). I'm busier than ever with work and real life, so please no ETAs :S. Thanks for your continuous support everyone :)

IMPORTANT: Use the latest firmwares available (stable or beta is fine). OTA flashing process might not work if you're on an older firmware.

I recommend a Nandroid backup and clean flash. If you want to dirty flash from the previous official, please wipe /system and flash ROM, GApps and Magisk.

VertexOS Carbide v3.5 Finale
    * FINAL Nougat build. Oreo in progress
    * CAF LA.UM.5.8.r1-02700-8x98.0 tag
    * LineageOS device tree updates
    * OxygenOS blob updates
    * Switch Launcher to @azaidi's Launcher3
    * Hide keyboard selector when only GBoard is activated and multiple languages are enabled
    * UI color improvements for OneplusDoze and Alert Slider menu
    * Translation imports
    * Fixed Settings->More crash affecting some users
    * Fixes for Android Auto
    * Removed double tap on status bar to sleep (not in line with our vision)

RenderZenith kernel 011
    * LineageOS updates
    * Will be working with @RenderBroken on new rebase