FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Magisk vs SuperSU

169 posts
Thanks Meter: 94

By m0d hipp¥, Senior Member on 6th January 2017, 12:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I haven't seen a thead posted about this so I figured I'd get some input from people that have used both or either of the 2 root options.
What do you prefer and why? What are the pros and cons?

I know SuperSU is very well known and I'm familiar with it from the Galaxy S phones. Magisk is fairly new, but from what I heard it works well with Nougat and the other nice thing is that magisk can be toggled.
I'm not sure if there is any benefit to that or not, but I'd like to hear some feedback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m0d hipp¥ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m0d hipp¥ Ad-Free
6th January 2017, 01:48 AM |#2  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 129

More
I'm interested to know more about this as well, but this is what I read about it.
Yes, Magisk can be toggled, so you can use Android Pay when you need it and then get back to being rooted.
However, for some reason, my AdAway adblocker just wouldn't work with Magisk+phhSU. No idea why. Everything else root worked well. When I had to clean flash the official Nougat, I decided to stick to good'ol SuperSU. I don't need the toggle function and everything worked great since.
The Following User Says Thank You to MasK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MasK Ad-Free
6th January 2017, 01:36 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
So I've used both and can say this. Magisk works on both SuperSU and phhSU, although the later offers a different functionality. The toggle feature is an older feature of Magisk as they now have a hide feature baked in. This is the same as SUHide for SuperSU. I have yet to get SUHide working on the 3t, but I have it working on a few other phones. SuperSU+SUHide is great if you only want to run Root on your phone and hide systemless root from applications without having to really toggle Root. From my experience (YMMV), toggling root breaks things more than hiding. The only reason I have found to run Magisk is if you want to run Xposed as well. Xposed works with SuperSU, but Magisk does a pretty good job of UI integration with some of the pieces.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarqAnshin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarqAnshin Ad-Free
6th January 2017, 04:07 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarqAnshin

So I've used both and can say this. Magisk works on both SuperSU and phhSU, although the later offers a different functionality. The toggle feature is an older feature of Magisk as they now have a hide feature baked in. This is the same as SUHide for SuperSU. I have yet to get SUHide working on the 3t, but I have it working on a few other phones. SuperSU+SUHide is great if you only want to run Root on your phone and hide systemless root from applications without having to really toggle Root. From my experience (YMMV), toggling root breaks things more than hiding. The only reason I have found to run Magisk is if you want to run Xposed as well. Xposed works with SuperSU, but Magisk does a pretty good job of UI integration with some of the pieces.

Awesome, thanks for the input! That's definitely helpful. So you would recommend going with magisk? Would you say magisk works equally as well on all versions of OOS? 3.5.* and the new 4.*+ (nougat) version?
6th January 2017, 07:11 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0d hipp¥

Awesome, thanks for the input! That's definitely helpful. So you would recommend going with magisk? Would you say magisk works equally as well on all versions of OOS? 3.5.* and the new 4.*+ (nougat) version?

Keep in mind, your mileage may very and these are only my opinions. With that said I will say this:
I've only had my OnePlus 3t for about 3 weeks, so I only really used it on the latest version of OOS 3.5. It seems to work fine on 4.*, however, it did take me a few extra steps and sideload.

I honestly would go with SuperSU / SUhide if I could get it to work on 3T correctly like it does on my other devices. Right now I have this weird forever and a day boot time with SUHide.

Magisk works almost as well in my experience and on the devices I do run xposed on runs even better in my opinion. The new Magisk doesn't turn root off but does mask root from certain apps such as android pay. The interface, in my opinion, has gotten better over the iterations. Magisk also does allow you to flash from the direct input, which depending on your skill can help out greatly.

I would say this. If you require
  • Xposed
  • UI
  • live updates of actual software similar to TWRP's new loader
  • ability to flash from app
Use Magisk

If you like simplicity and raw power go with SuperSU. I did try the SUHide Gui but found Magisk's version much easier and reliable.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DarqAnshin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarqAnshin Ad-Free
6th January 2017, 08:13 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks again! That's super helpful!
6th January 2017, 11:30 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Guys, Im running Tugapower and I cannot root the rom. Any of you know how to fix it? I run the zip file to root and I start to phone and looks that works but after couple of minuts is not rooted anymore. Anyone else?
The Following User Says Thank You to vlc_marcos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vlc_marcos Ad-Free
7th January 2017, 08:19 PM |#8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Has anybody used the the latest version of superuser with oos 4.0?
That's the SR2 2.79 version. The one before turned off sims and a reflash of 4.0 sorted out.

And the info on Magisk has been informative. Thanks!
8th January 2017, 08:13 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
As someone who has used phhSu and SuperSU (I've also paid for SuperSU Pro) I find either do the job and that SuperSU is good for getting a ROM going while I prefer to then re-root with phhSU after I have my ROM set up for daily use, although the only annoying thing with phhSU is that TB detects the su binary as being a non-SuperSU one so it pops up an extra warning.
Either is fine, just pick the one you like better I guess.
10th January 2017, 05:23 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
How did you guys flash a systemless root without triggering DM-Verity?

From my understanding, we flash superSU after flashing TWRP and allowing modifications, because superSU disables/bypasses DM-Verity

Am I missing something here?
10th January 2017, 05:50 PM |#11  
Flag LA
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyelis

How did you guys flash a systemless root without triggering DM-Verity?

From my understanding, we flash superSU after flashing TWRP and allowing modifications, because superSU disables/bypasses DM-Verity

Am I missing something here?

With SuperSU 2.79 you don't need no-verity patch.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)