FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Camera2 bugs

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 439

By mdwh, Member on 7th March 2017, 11:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I'm the developer of Open Camera ( http://opencamera.org.uk/ / https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...mera-t2850557/ ) and was wondering what people's experiences were on the OnePlus 3T with third party camera apps that use Camera2 API?

I've tested a few different third party cameras on my OnePlus 3T, with Camera2 enabled as follows:

Open Camera: enable Settings/"Use Camera2 API".
A Better Camera: enable Settings/General settings/More/"Use Camera2 interface".
Snap Camera HDR (Trial): enable Settings/Other/"Use Camera2 API".
Camera FV-5: this uses Camera2 by default.
AZ Camera: this uses Camera2 by default.
Footej: this uses Camera2 by default.
Lightroom (which has a built-in camera using Camera2)

Mostly things seem good, but there are some issues on my device (these occurred on both Oxygen 4.0.2 and 4.0.3):

* Most seriously, I've seen problems to do with using manual shutter speed. This usually shows in the form of preview corruption (it shows a split-screen, or starts scrolling), but sometimes there's a camera error, in some cases the entire phone freezes for several seconds (with even the home button not responding). In rare cases the phone becomes sluggish until a reboot is forced. It seems to happen with bright scenes (e.g., outdoors in daytime, or pointing close to a bright light - say shutter speed 1/100s or less). There are a few ways to reproduce this:

1. Switch to manual shutter speed, then back to auto. Then point to a bright scene, after a few moments the problem usually happens.

2. Point at bright scene and switch to manual shutter speed, and wait a few moments.

3. Switch to manual shutter speed, and keep varying the shutter speed (even if not pointing to bright scene).

I've reproduced this with: Open Camera, A Better Camera, Snap Camera HDR, Camera FV-5, AZ Camera, Footej, Lightroom.

Unfortunately this doesn't just make manual mode unreliable, but also affects implementation of things like HDR, expo bracketing.

* The ISO value (and possibly shutter speed?) reported by the Camera driver is incorrect in dark scenes. This can be seen by the on-screen values in Open Camera, A Better Camera (see Settings/Viewfinder settings/More/ISO value), Snap Camera HDR, Camera FV-5, AZ Camera, Footej. In Open Camera, this value is CaptureResult.SENSOR_SENSITIVITY obtained from the CaptureRequest request received by onCaptureCompleted.

It can also be seen by looking at the reported ISO in the image's Exif data.

The maximum reported values are ISO 799 and shutter speed 1/16.7s. Why do I suspect this to be incorrect? Firstly because taking a photo of the same scene with the stock camera will show much higher ISO in the Exif (even though the photo looks similar), secondly because switching to manual ISO value of ~800 (either in the stock or a third party camera) results in a much darker photos.

Note, this bug is more serious than it might sound, as it messes up things like using HDR for darker scenes.

* Possibly related to this is that setting a manual ISO of above 800 seems to have no effect - photos are still taken as if they had ISO 800. This can be reproduced with Open Camera, A Better Camera, Snap Camera HDR.

Also, not a camera2 issue, but still relevant to the OnePlus 3T, is double-power-button to open camera: if the device is unlocked, it launches the default camera app, but if the device is locked, it only seems to open the stock OnePlus camera app. Open Camera sets an intent filter for both android.media.action.STILL_IMAGE_CAMERA and android.media.action.STILL_IMAGE_CAMERA_SECURE . This works okay on my Nexus 6. On my OnePlus, the app info for the stock camera app says "no defaults set", so there's nothing to clear.

Supposedly the preferred way to report bugs is https://forums.oneplus.net/feedback/ , but I can't create a new thread until I've posted 5 replies (ah yes, anti-spam measures that encourage users to spam) so I'll have to post here for now. I thought it'd be interesting to know if others have experienced or can reproduce these - or if you're experiencing different issues altogether? (Sometimes even on a single model, there can be frustrating camera bugs that only show on some devices for whatever reason.)
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to mdwh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdwh Ad-Free

8th March 2017, 04:50 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 482

More
I like to play with manual mode, but just a casual shooter so haven't gone to details, but will give this try. I know there are some inaccuracy, but it's affirming coming from a pro. You can just comment 5 times and post in the oneplus forum. I will also test and post the feedback.
May be fixing these will result in impressive picture quality as hardware is capable just the processing which is average.
Thanks for the finding and posting, at least we know some of the reason now.
8th March 2017, 10:38 PM |#3  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I've had problems with the manual shutter speed. Happens when reducing it. Picture starts scrolling then phone freezes up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
9th March 2017, 10:49 AM |#4  
Flag Lucknow
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwh

Hi,

I'm the developer of Open Camera ( http://opencamera.org.uk/ / https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...mera-t2850557/ ) and was wondering what people's experiences were on the OnePlus 3T with third party camera apps that use Camera2 API?

I've tested a few different third party cameras on my OnePlus 3T, with Camera2 enabled as follows:

Open Camera: enable Settings/"Use Camera2 API".
A Better Camera: enable Settings/General settings/More/"Use Camera2 interface".
Snap Camera HDR (Trial): enable Settings/Other/"Use Camera2 API".
Camera FV-5: this uses Camera2 by default.
AZ Camera: this uses Camera2 by default.
Footej: this uses Camera2 by default.
Lightroom (which has a built-in camera using Camera2)

Mostly things seem good, but there are some issues on my device (these occurred on both Oxygen 4.0.2 and 4.0.3):

* Most seriously, I've seen problems to do with using manual shutter speed. This usually shows in the form of preview corruption (it shows a split-screen, or starts scrolling), but sometimes there's a camera error, in some cases the entire phone freezes for several seconds (with even the home button not responding). In rare cases the phone becomes sluggish until a reboot is forced. It seems to happen with bright scenes (e.g., outdoors in daytime, or pointing close to a bright light - say shutter speed 1/100s or less). There are a few ways to reproduce this:

1. Switch to manual shutter speed, then back to auto. Then point to a bright scene, after a few moments the problem usually happens.

2. Point at bright scene and switch to manual shutter speed, and wait a few moments.

3. Switch to manual shutter speed, and keep varying the shutter speed (even if not pointing to bright scene).

I've reproduced this with: Open Camera, A Better Camera, Snap Camera HDR, Camera FV-5, AZ Camera, Footej, Lightroom.

Unfortunately this doesn't just make manual mode unreliable, but also affects implementation of things like HDR, expo bracketing.

* The ISO value (and possibly shutter speed?) reported by the Camera driver is incorrect in dark scenes. This can be seen by the on-screen values in Open Camera, A Better Camera (see Settings/Viewfinder settings/More/ISO value), Snap Camera HDR, Camera FV-5, AZ Camera, Footej. In Open Camera, this value is CaptureResult.SENSOR_SENSITIVITY obtained from the CaptureRequest request received by onCaptureCompleted.

It can also be seen by looking at the reported ISO in the image's Exif data.

The maximum reported values are ISO 799 and shutter speed 1/16.7s. Why do I suspect this to be incorrect? Firstly because taking a photo of the same scene with the stock camera will show much higher ISO in the Exif (even though the photo looks similar), secondly because switching to manual ISO value of ~800 (either in the stock or a third party camera) results in a much darker photos.

Note, this bug is more serious than it might sound, as it messes up things like using HDR for darker scenes.

* Possibly related to this is that setting a manual ISO of above 800 seems to have no effect - photos are still taken as if they had ISO 800. This can be reproduced with Open Camera, A Better Camera, Snap Camera HDR.

Also, not a camera2 issue, but still relevant to the OnePlus 3T, is double-power-button to open camera: if the device is unlocked, it launches the default camera app, but if the device is locked, it only seems to open the stock OnePlus camera app. Open Camera sets an intent filter for both android.media.action.STILL_IMAGE_CAMERA and android.media.action.STILL_IMAGE_CAMERA_SECURE . This works okay on my Nexus 6. On my OnePlus, the app info for the stock camera app says "no defaults set", so there's nothing to clear.

Supposedly the preferred way to report bugs is https://forums.oneplus.net/feedback/ , but I can't create a new thread until I've posted 5 replies (ah yes, anti-spam measures that encourage users to spam) so I'll have to post here for now. I thought it'd be interesting to know if others have experienced or can reproduce these - or if you're experiencing different issues altogether? (Sometimes even on a single model, there can be frustrating camera bugs that only show on some devices for whatever reason.)

hey man first of all thank you very much for developing that app, its awwwwsssome and btw oneplus implemented camera2api in op3t poorly so that could be the reason ( if they were able to implement api2 correctly then there wouldve been 240 fps slow mo for op3t)
9th March 2017, 12:29 PM |#5  
Flag Bratislava
Thanks Meter: 944

Donate to Me
More
I was able to reproduce every issue you've said on my 3T - OOS 4.0.3 - mainly incorrect EXIF data when using camera app <> stock.
Open Camera works okay for me (as it crashes the least), but when trying CFV-5 or Manual Camera then I was also able to reproduce the freezing/hanging/glitched preview screen.

Also a thing I noticed, that my rear camera takes brighter pictures in low light than the back, even tough the shutter is longer on the rear (probably incorrectly reported) - more info here.
9th March 2017, 04:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 679

More
I was able to reproduce all of the issues you mentioned on an OOS 4.0.3 based custom ROM, which I guess is kinda the same as stock.
This is a serious issue, you should definitely report this to Oneplus, since all of us seem to be affected by it.

Another thing: Higher ISO and lower shutter speed combo works as intended in the stock camera app. I suspect foul play by Oneplus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ast00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ast00 Ad-Free
9th March 2017, 10:40 PM |#7  
Flag Kerens
Thanks Meter: 1,390

Donate to Me
More
I've experienced the lock screen issue before but not used the camera enough to really notice the other problems yet. I actually have Open Camera installed. Nice work and I love the fact that you open sourced it and didn't plague us with more ads. That is very appreciated!

I really miss the camera app I used on the OnePlus One but its just not compatible (or that's the rumor) with newer models. Maybe Ill flash it.

Definately keep trying on the feedback link. I know the spam-to-post thing is stupid. Have you tried the User Feedback app? Or is that only on the Beta?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to uudruid74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift uudruid74 Ad-Free
12th March 2017, 12:17 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
For what it's worth after I received my 3t I saw how slow the stock camera was and it's inability to stop motion very well and installed your app and it works quite well. I use your app as my default camera app.
12th March 2017, 09:00 AM |#9  
Flag Odessa
Thanks Meter: 147

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhicg

For what it's worth after I received my 3t I saw how slow the stock camera was and it's inability to stop motion very well and installed your app and it works quite well. I use your app as my default camera app.

Seriously? You defenetly confused with camera apps.
Stock oos camera is wonderful. For exemple, now I'm using as my daily rom, dedicated and unnoficial laos by nvertigo67 for 3t. And I can say, that it is the best rom by far.
Just a moment ago, I'm installed and tested opencamera, and can say anything good (if comparing it with stock one). So please, just try something else and you will see how is amazing, fast, smooth the stock one. Btw, there you can find snapdragon camera(introduce by @nvertigo67 too), that have same perfomance and quality. I'm just prefer oos cam, becouse ui more comfortable.

@mdwh
Nothing personal. You making a good app (use it on my opo). Just whanted to say, that stock one is superb, with op bloobs. Even in laos build.
12th March 2017, 04:48 PM |#10  
Getting green squares instead of front camera photos
16th March 2017, 12:31 AM |#11  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 439

More
Thanks for your responses, I've now posted on the OnePlus forums at https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/c...a-apps.506100/ .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mdwh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mdwh Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)