Are you planning to upgrade ?

Search This thread

Soufiansky

Dec 12, 2014
So the OP5 is coming soon, we have few leaks about it but are you thinking about an upgrade ? Or you will keep this beast for one/two more years ? :D

equlizer

Sep 20, 2007
I just got mine yesturday so i plan on keeping it till at least the 6 comes out.

B3501

Mar 4, 2015
I'll upgrade if the specs are good. 2k screen with a good camera and easily unlockable with good dev support. If not I'll get a new different phone either the international Note 8 version with unlocked bootloader or the new Pixel.

Reactions: _atlien_

Leicxan

Dec 21, 2011
Shanghai
OnePlus 7 Pro
Just saw the news said they drop support for the op2. Hope OnePlus won't drop the software update support on op3t. Otherwise I will use 3t until op6 comes out.:)

acentren

Jan 18, 2012
Nah, I´m really happy with the change from a Nexus 6P to the 3T. The only downside is the camera at night and to be honest with myself I don´t use the camera enough to justify an upgrade. I love the 1080 screen, 6gb ram (especially at the beta, app management is the best on any android phone I´ve experienced). And regarding android upgrades, as long as i get security patches I´m happy. Google seems to f#ck things up more and more along the road..

Reactions: regisknechtel

MaxFTW

May 16, 2012
Łódź
I didn't buy 3T to upgrade it just after the next gen comes. Like seriously, the purpose of all those specs like 6GB of RAM is to last long and endure technological evolution process as well.

BTW I had an opportunity to get my hands onto S8 recently and even for free I wouldn't swap these devices even though 3T is from the previous generation of flagships (which apparently means nothing in this case).

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
Oh I'm upgrading but def not to the OP5. Probably gonna grab an S8+ pretty soon and then the Note 8 when it comes out. I only buy OPs if I need a new phone and there's nothing out that interests me. They are great interim phones, for sure.

OcazPrime

Mar 30, 2016
Im going to go with a solid maybe. Normally i dont buy phones for cameras. Never have never will. but im very interested in this things camera, those picture samples leaked are SOOOOOOO damn good looking. Normally id reach for my nikon but holy moly the detail. You know youve got a good camera if you can see the scales on a strawberry. The 835 sounds amazing 6gb ram is super useful and if that new leak is true with the 30 minute full charge on dash, thats a buy right there just for the charging feature. My lord-y thats just smartphone bliss right there. Forget battery banks imagine what you can get in a 5 minute charge. Theyll change the tag line to a whole days power in a 10th of an hour.

Soufiansky

Dec 12, 2014
Im going to go with a solid maybe. Normally i dont buy phones for cameras. Never have never will. but im very interested in this things camera, those picture samples leaked are SOOOOOOO damn good looking. Normally id reach for my nikon but holy moly the detail. You know youve got a good camera if you can see the scales on a strawberry. The 835 sounds amazing 6gb ram is super useful and if that new leak is true with the 30 minute full charge on dash, thats a buy right there just for the charging feature. My lord-y thats just smartphone bliss right there. Forget battery banks imagine what you can get in a 5 minute charge. Theyll change the tag line to a whole days power in a 10th of an hour.
But if the camera is the only *major* upgrade, while you still consider buying it or you will just keep the 3T ?

Reactions: regisknechtel

OcazPrime

Mar 30, 2016
Its a low chance that is the only major upgrade. They will definitely be using the 835 or hopefully even thr 850 if its delayed enough.

OcazPrime

Mar 30, 2016
I do belive that the 5 is a good idea. Im sure they way they use the 835 it will be more than 10%

kolembo

Nov 2, 2012
If the price is between $400 & $450, I'll buy immediately. If it's qHd I'll buy immediately, below $600. If the materials are new (ceramic) I'll buy immediately.

If not, I'm going to wait and see what the Note looks like. Or the Mate.

I love this phone and only got it in March or something.

Brookspeffer

May 28, 2016
If the price is between $400 & $450, I'll buy immediately. If it's qHd I'll buy immediately, below $600. If the materials are new (ceramic) I'll buy immediately.

Im on an s7 edge but im with you on the price. Less than 500 and im ordering day one.

Reactions: kolembo

Soufiansky

Dec 12, 2014

If you just got it in March no need to upgrade in my opinion,your phone is still new

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 4960206
    So the OP5 is coming soon, we have few leaks about it but are you thinking about an upgrade ? Or you will keep this beast for one/two more years ? :D

Definitely longer than 2 years. These phones are really powerful now a days. And the only reason companies do the "planned obsolescence" of these devices each year is to keep the cash flowing and to keep the company alive. The consumer based economy is extremely inefficient and all it causes is waste and more waste on this planet.
    The only reason I bought OP3T selling my OPO was, I needed a fingerprint sensor cause I hated going through multiple steps to unlock the phone which takes time. And ofcourse, a metal phone, since I never had it.
    I think being here in XDA we should learn more to utilise these enormously powerful devices for longer time rather than wasting money and adding more physical waste to this planet just to feed our hunger to be "latest and greatest" all the time.
    I'll totally skip this Op5, S8, S8+, G6 and Sony XZP. 3T is more than enough to do anything available for Android, so there's no reason to upgrade. 835 over 821 is not a big deal. 10% of difference doesn't matter in real real world performance (I'm not talking about YT videos about "" real life"" performance BS). I'll wait to see the new iPhones and Note8.
    Agree, if i had the OP3T i would keep it for at least 3 years, awesome hardware and developpement support
    I pondered and emmmmed and awwwed.

Made a decision to hang onto my 3T.

The 5 is not different enough, I can wait for the 6...still a huge fans of the OnePlus story so I'll wait for them to do the next chapter.

It's beginning to look like I can experiment this year. My partner bought the s8 plus.... Which I'll skip for the same reason. It's more of the same - I think they'll be ready to pop with the S9. Thought about the S8 Note but it also looks exactly the same. I need a bigger jump.

Coming from the Mate 9, Huawei looks ready to game change with the Mate 10, and the Mi Mix 2 looks like a suitable refinement to the 1, so maybe those two this year, and then upgrade my 3T next year.

And - shock, horror - I may bide my time in Autumn with the HTC 11 when the prices have come down a little.

The 5 just isn't, em, compelling enough yet.
    I didn't buy 3T to upgrade it just after the next gen comes. Like seriously, the purpose of all those specs like 6GB of RAM is to last long and endure technological evolution process as well.

BTW I had an opportunity to get my hands onto S8 recently and even for free I wouldn't swap these devices even though 3T is from the previous generation of flagships (which apparently means nothing in this case).
    I've owned alot of phones in my time, but the OP3t is hands down my favorite. The OP5 is gonna have to bring a lot more then just a camera upgrade for me to drop 500 bucks on it.