Dirk

May 11, 2009
Oneplus Boot Logo & Animation

OSjSjYY.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric_Lev

bats000777

Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for the amazing boots....I think you could create some kind of Android app to import images and create own boot animation. Flash zip using root or something. And also link your boot animations in there !?
And option to randomize boots from predefined selection !?. Just suggestion....

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Thanks for the amazing boots....I think you could create some kind of Android app to import images and create own boot animation. Flash zip using root or something. And also link your boot animations in there !?
And option to randomize boots from predefined selection !?. Just suggestion....

If only i had the dev skills. But then i'd be too busy making money to do anything creative. :p

B!Gguy created a script (Auto Change Boot Logo - Script) to randomly pick a Boot Logo from a folder on Internal Storage when the phone Boots, or to execute it using Tasker etc.. See his thread here: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-3t/themes/mod-custom-boot-logo-pack-op3t-t3539019

Reactions: bats000777

Dirk

May 11, 2009
OK. Can you make some OP3? Or guide how to make for it?

Everything you need is here: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-3/themes/mod-splash-screen-image-injector-t3441999

I suggest downloading a custom Boot Logo from a OP3 thread and using the logo.bin file from that with the software. You use the software to extract the png images from the .bin file, replace with your own image, and then use the software to to pack it up again. Simple.

If you want an image from this thread, use the same sotware to extract the logo.bin. Swipe the png and use it as above.

You can even re-use the flashable zip. Just put your finished logo.bin into the same folder where you found it and zip it all up again.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Useful Freeware Tools

Paint.net:

Most Image editing.

IrfanView:

Batch covert .PDN to .PNG.

GIMP:

More advanced Image editing.
Apply some filters to all Layers with script.
Export all Layers as individual .PNG.

FastStone Photo Resizer :

Batch Resize.
Batch Crop.
Batch Canvas Size.
Batch Overlay/Watermark.

TinyTask :

Macro automation. Incredibly useful time saver!

Bulk Rename Utility:

As name suggests.

GIF Creation:

https://ezgif.com/
http://gifmaker.org/

Image Hosting:

https://postimages.org/
https://imgur.com/upload

Last edited:

Eric_Lev

Jan 27, 2019
Angers
sourceforge.net
Maybe a crazy idea about your great boot animations:
Wouldn't it be useful if a boot animation ended with a non-black frame to visually ensure that the device doesn't crash during an update or a flash?
I was thinking, for example, of the NASA boot animation.
Have a nice sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk

Dirk

May 11, 2009
Maybe a crazy idea about your great boot animations:
Wouldn't it be useful if a boot animation ended with a non-black frame to visually ensure that the device doesn't crash during an update or a flash?
I was thinking, for example, of the NASA boot animation.
Have a nice sunday.

I see what you're getting at. Yes it would be useful. It would also be a fluke if it froze on that one second of Black screen. And if the screen was Black for longer than a few seconds people will know, i suspect, that a freeze has occurred. From an aesthetic standpoint i prefer in some cases for there to be a Black image before the Lockscreen appears. It's less jarring.

If anybody is curious how large a Boot Animation can be, i think i'm getting closer to being able to answer that. Though i haven't yet found a maximum, i just tested one consisting of 900 frames at 60fps that comes in at 596MB. I think that's a forum record. It's not the total number of frames of course. There's some photorealism in it that makes each frame quite large. :laugh:

By the way, because the moving elements aren't particularly complicated, (most of what's there is static), the thing runs beautifully. The biggest problem is making a GIF preview that works well. I'm working on that right now. You may see the Boot Animation in question later in the year.

Reactions: Eric_Lev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anatomy of a Boot Animation

A short guide for the curious.

I'm going to use the crDroid Boot Animation as an example for this guide. It's a great example to use as the animation itself lends itself nicely to an elegant folder structure. (You'll see what i mean). The bootanimation.zip is attached to the post and i encourage you to download it and extract the contents to a folder. It'll help you follow along.

First, let's have a look at the Boot Animation in action:

76C7kaU.gif

You'll notice there are essentially three stages to this. 1) The static Logo and Text fading in at the beginning. 2) The Progress Bar appearing (and animating left and right). 3) The Loading animation which fills the Bar and ends in everything fading out.

Now have a look at the .zip contents you extracted earlier. For this particular Boot Animation there are three folders, (part0, part1, part2), containing all the .png images and a 'desc.txt' file. You'll notice that all the images are numbered sequentially and each folder is essentially one of the three stages of the animation. It's an elegant way to organise the files, especially when you consider that stage 2 of the animation has to loop for a while. (All the images needed to create that loop are in the 'part1' folder).

You can have as many folders as you need, and how many image files you put in each is up to you. Your structure will depend on your animation. Just remember to begin with a part0 and number them sequentially from there.

desc.txt

Basically the config file needed to specify how the animation runs. let's take a look at the crDroid file:

Code:
    1080 1920 40
    c 1 0 part0 #121411
    c 0 0 part1 #121411
    c 1 0 part2 #121411

Line 1) 1080 1920 40 - Resolution (Width) x (Height) and framerate (fps) More on this later...

Line 2) c 1 0 part0 - The letter (c) means 'play this part in it's entirety even if the system is ready'. Most of the time this is all you'll use. The alternative is (p) which tells the system to cut the animation off mid-stream if necessary when it's ready to move on from the Boot Animation.

The first number (1) means 'play this part once and them move on to the next part'. You can of course make it play twice, or more if you want. Just specify the number. A zero (0) here means 'Loop this part'.

The second number (0) defines a 'Pause' on the last frame of that part. (At 40fps putting 20 here would mean a pause of 0.5 Seconds) We have a 0 here, so no pause.

I'm deliberately ignoring the Hex code for now. I'll circle back to this later.

Line 3) c 0 0 part1 - So now we know what this all means. 'Don't interrupt this part, loop it, and then move on to the next part without a pause'.

Line 4) c 1 0 part2 - 'Don't interrupt this part, play it once and don't pause on the final frame'.

All things being well you'd be looking at your Lockscreen at this point. :)

You can see that a bit of simple Math will need to be employed, particularly when deciding how many individual images (frames) you need to create and what fps you'll need to specify for playback. There's more on this in a later guide, but there are many factors to consider. How many pixels to move your image from frame to frame, how many frames you'll be generating in total, and how long you want your animation to run for. (The framerate you select is more of a determining factor in total duration than it is smoothness)

Generally speaking a complex animation will generate more frames and may need a higher framerate to complete within a reasonable duration. Of course you can have an effective animation at 1fps depending on what you are creating. As long as you've got a rough idea of what you want before you start, you can roughly guess how many frames and at what speed you'll need. The whole Boot Animation can be as quick as ten seconds these days, but you can of course make yours longer.

Some things to consider:

Images cannot have Alpha (transparency) and should be saved as 24bit .PNG or as .JPG. If your animation is simple and already small there's no reason to compromise on quality. .PNG will be fine. When you have 500+ frames with a large, high quality moving image, the total size of your Boot Animation can easily exceed 300MB. There's more on this in a later guide, but .JPG @ 90% quality will reduce the overall size significantly without being noticeable.

When numbering your images, you will need to prefix your filenames with a certain number of zero's. How many depends on your total images in the animation. For example, if the total number of images is less less than 1000, (let's say 650 for example), you will need to make all the numbers three digits. So, 001, 002, 003,... 099, 100, 101.. etc. That will work until 999. If you create a frame that is '1000', then all your images will need an extra '0' at the beginning to make them four digits.

Now, coming back to that Hex code in our desc.txt. One thing you can do to reduce the overall size of your bootanimation.zip is to not use the full 1080x1920 for each image. (You'll notice the ones in the crDroid folders are actually 960x1920). If all the eye candy in your animation is clustered in the centre surrounded by plain background, you only need to create images that are big enough to encompass all the eye candy, not the background. So you might find that your images once cropped are only 800x600, for example. That keeps the size down and makes the whole thing easier to animate.

Right now you're wondering how the system knows what to do with 800x600 images on a 1080x1920 screen. It depends on what you enter in Line 1 of the Desc.txt. If you enter '1080 1920', the 800x600 images will be stretched to fit. If you enter '800 600' the images will be centered and the missing background will be filled in automatically. (Black unless specified by Hex code in the Desc.txt, as seen above)

So the crDroid images are 960x1920 and not quite Black. They're a little lighter. If that resolution were specified in the desc.txt the images would be centered and the background would be filled as specified by the Hex codes. But, the resolution in the actual desc.txt reads 1080x1920, which means the images are being stretched a bit left and right to fill the gap. That means the Hex codes aren't needed in this case. They made a mistake. Oops!

An Oddity

When editing your desc.txt, make sure you hit 'Enter' after the last character of the last line, to begin a new line. For some reason that last line will be ignored unless you do this. Very strange!

Creating your bootanimation.zip:

So you have your images in folders and your desc.txt edited ready to go. (If you are using Windows i suggest using Notepad++ for saving any edits you make to the desc.txt, and 'save as type' should be 'all types'.

Now all you need to do is .zip up your creation. I'm using WinRAR. No compression should be used, so in WinRAR you use the 'Store' setting. The archive is of course being named 'bootanimation.zip':

winrar.png

I'm sure everybody knows what to do with a completed bootanimation.zip by now. Either move it manually to System/Media and replace the existing file (Permissions rw-r—r—) or use a flashable zip to deliver the payload. All things being well you now have your very own working Boot Animation!

If anybody has any questions go ahead and ask. I hope some of you will have a go at your own creations!

Good luck.
    dlyaotn.gif

Larger Boot Animations can be downloaded from Google Drive or Dropbox.

Tested and working on my OP3T and OP5.

Usual disclaimer etc.

Don't forget to check out the Original Boot Logo Thread, courtesy of B!Gguy.​

Oneplus-Original.png
    Oneplus-Boot-Logo.png
    Oneplus-Boot-Logo-2.png

Flashable zips below:
    Just a heads-up.

I've just noticed something about Android 10 ROMs. They all seem to have an extra level of /system directory, so the install path of a Boot Animation has gone from /system/media/bootanimation.zip to /system/system/media/bootanimation.zip. That means the flashable zips in this thread will need to be modified to reflect that change, or the Boot Animation will have to be extracted from the zip and installed manually. Up to the user to decide how they want to handle that.

I've checked this on four ROMs across three devices:

LOS + crDroid - OP5
    crDroid - Poco
    NitrogenOS - OP3

Seems to be an AOSP standard. Of course this will affect a lot of mods as the /app and /priv-app folders are also one level deeper, as is the build.prop.
    Neon Boot Logo

Neon-1.png
    Neon-2.png
    Neon-5.png
    I've updated my freeware tools list to add the essential Macro tool, TinyTask. This thing is incredible. As the name suggests, it's TINY. At 20KB for the portable .zip, it is after many years, still the smallest automation tool anyone has created. What you get is an equally tiny floating window with all the functions easily accessible. The only one that matters is the 'Record' button though. Hit that and then run through your sequence of key strokes, mouse clicks and keyboard combinations as needed. It even remembers the cursor coordinates, so if you move the mouse to click on something it can repeat that.

Of course, the whole point is to save the time consuming and repetitive parts of creating each frame. Here's an example. The Animation i'm currently working on in paint.net, frame by frame, needs moving two layers each time and at different increments before saving the image as another frame. Here's what it looks like from the beginning without automation:

Click on layer1
    Left Arrow x5
    Click on Layer2
    Left Arrow x2
    Ctr+Shift+S (Opens Save Dialogue)
    001 (Sequential numbering)
    ENTER

Click on layer1
    Left Arrow x5
    Click on Layer2
    Left Arrow x2
    Ctr+Shift+S (Opens Save Dialogue)
    002 (Sequential numbering)
    ENTER

Repeat 1000 times.

OR, with TinyTask:

F12, 01, Enter
    F12, 02, Enter
    F12, 03, Enter
    F12, 04, Enter

(F12 is the key i assigned to play back the Macro)

Not only am i recording all the mouse movements and keystrokes, but even adding the first '0' in the Save Dialogue, so instead of having to type '001,002,003,004...' it's the easier '01,02,03,04'. It becomes a one handed operation where my hand is barely moving from the number-pad. I don't even have to look at the screen. Just focus on inputting numbers until it's done. :good:

The best thing about it is it helps avoid mistakes. Imagine in one or two of the frames done manually where, instead of moving Layer 1 five times, and Layer 2 two times, you accidentally get it the wrong way round. After 1000 frames it's bound to happen at least once. Something like that is really evident when you play the completed animation back....and then you have to fix it. Which can take longer than creating the whole thing in the first place!