FORUMS

[ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.2.1.20] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5

36 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from deathmist: NFC getting re-enabled after every reboot has been fixed! Check post #11 for details
This work is released under the permissive MIT license.

Jolla Sailfish OS logo
Sailfish OS screenshots
(click above image for higher resolution and quality images!)

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * I am NOT responsible for data loss, you getting fired because the alarm app failed or if you brick
 * your device. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this OS
 * port before flashing! YOU are choosing to do these modifications, and if you point the finger at me
 * for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * BOOM goes the dynamite!
 */

Hello, fellow XDA developers & users alike!
I think it's been long enough that we've not had alternative non-Android operating systems in a usable state for the popular OnePlus 5* devices, so here is a Sailfish OS port after over 6 months in development!

I'd really appreciate it if you give feedback and report bugs so I can attempt to fix them as best I can

Features
  • Slick and clean Sailfish OS UI/UX
  • Fully gesture driven navigation of the OS (physical back buttons may or may not work depending on the app)
  • Ambiences: a combination of system background, primary UI colors, sounds & volume levels
  • Sleep mode gestures e.g. double-tap to wake, music controls, 'V' for toggling flashlight etc
  • Ability to control configurable ambiences with the notification slider
  • Independent & alternative OS not based on Android (droid base is only used for drivers & HAL in SFOS)
  • Run regular GNU/Linux (armhf) tools and utilities natively out of the box from Jolla, OpenRepos, other custom repositories or direct binary format
  • Privacy-first OS with no spyware or bloatware pre-installed
  • Dual-booting between LineageOS & Sailfish OS with a simple zip flash in recovery (boot-switcher, linked below)
  • OS version OTAs, look at the merproject wiki page (see 'OTA updates' below)
  • A stable hardware adaptation (port) with basically everything working, but please also read about the problems right below
  • And more to explore...

Problems
  • No Android apps (APK) will run inside Sailfish OS as is the norm with community ports; you can just dual-boot with LineageOS (see FAQ below)
  • There is no VoLTE / VoWiFi support in SFOS (see FAQ below)
  • Even though NFC works, it's implementation is quite basic in Sailfish OS currently
  • The fingerprint sensor doesn't do anything (see FAQ below)
  • Produced video recordings from the camera are unusable right now due to corruption of the beginning in recordings & artifacts when moving even slightly
  • Flashlight misbehaves for picture taking by taking too long to activate and causing nearly pitch black images (it also turns on/off rapidly a few times when disabling)
  • Some audio (including calls) does not get routed properly to/from (Bluetooth) headsets
  • Sailfish OS Developer mode (via USB cable) doesn't work
  • During initial setup you may get stuck at the lockscreen; simply restart your device if this happens
  • Rarely waking up from sleep mode can take a long time (up to about 15 seconds)
  • The very first boot and initial loading takes a pretty long time for whatever reason

How to install
  1. Backup all your data from the device to a computer
  2. Download Oreo Firmware 5.1.7, TWRP 3.2.3 image, the LineageOS 15.1 base ROM (AFH | MEGA) & a Sailfish OS release
  3. Install device firmware version 5.1.7 (not the ROM!)
  4. Flash TWRP 3.2.3 as your recovery
  5. Reformat /data to ext4 and check it for issues
  6. Reboot to recovery
  7. Wipe cache & dalvik
  8. Flash LineageOS 15.1
  9. Flash anything else you normally flash for Android e.g. GApps, Magisk, no dm_verity etc
  10. Flash Sailfish OS (the zip that contains rootfs.tar.bz2) from inside CI artifacts archive
  11. Reboot and enjoy!
You can also flash my boot-switcher zip (or switch between hybris-boot and droid-boot images created on /sdcard) afterwards for simple dual-booting of the 2 operating systems!

Links & source
sailfishos-oneplus5: All project repos & source
important: Info and detailed guides about flashing, self-building etc
android_kernel_oneplus_msm8998: The used kernel source
sailfishos.org: General info about the OS as well as contributing, translation, app development etc

Changelog
wiki.merproject.org: Place with general info about the port status, OTAs etc
droid-config commits: Stuff modified on the Sailfish OS side

OTA updates
See "OTA (Over-the-Air) update" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

Special thanks to
@kimmoli for gesture-daemon & triambience
@nathanchance for maintaining the OP5 linux-stable merged kernel tree
@Mister_Magister, mal, r0kk3rz, @rinigus, @PiggZ, spiiroin, jusa, vknecht, NotKit and everyone else at #sailfishos-porters
The port was made possible thanks to you all!

FAQ
What does "SFOS" mean?
Sailfish OS; it's simply a common abbreviation.

Can I run [insert name here] Android app in Sailfish OS?
If there is no currently maintained client or similar app in the Jolla Store or (my preference) OpenRepos, then probably not. I may look into bringing Android app support via Anbox or similar project much later on; no ETAs.

Does VoLTE or VoWiFi work in Sailfish OS?
As of SFOS 3.2.1, these are still not implemented, but should be coming later in perhaps Sailfish OS 4.

How can I skip the SFOS beginner tutorial?
Tap each corner of the screen once starting from top-left going clockwise.

When will the fingerprint sensor start working?
Whenever the Sailfish OS middleware used on the Sony Xperia XA2 gets prepared to be deployed on a wide variety of hardware & becomes OSS (open-source software).

How can I use ROMs on version greater than Oreo again?
Backup all data, flash latest firmware zip for your device, flash a recent TWRP image to recovery partition, reboot to recovery and 'Format Data'; after this you should be back to normal.

I found a bug, what can I do?
See "Report bugs" section under the libhybris adaptation wiki page.

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][GNU/Linux][OTA][3.2.1.20] Sailfish OS for OnePlus 5, ROM for the OnePlus 5

Contributors
deathmist
Source Code: https://github.com/sailfishos-oneplus5

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: 5.1.7 (Oreo)
Based On: LineageOS 15.1

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.1.20 (Nuuksio)

Created 2020-01-17
Last Updated 2020-02-14
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deathmist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deathmist Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 08:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 176

More
Congratulations! If you bump libhybris (https://build.merproject.org/package...rger/libhybris) to the current version (0.0.5.34), Flatpak support should be available as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rinigus Ad-Free
17th January 2020, 09:46 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ambala, HR
Thanks Meter: 6,238

Donate to Me
More
Added to the OnePlus 5 Index Thread here.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowstep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shadowstep Ad-Free
18th January 2020, 04:12 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Thanks for developing this. If no APK's work, how are we supposed to use the apps we use in Android?
18th January 2020, 08:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
After usuing it i will add snap .. thanks a lor for new rom
18th January 2020, 10:41 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleomaxell

Thanks for developing this. If no APK's work, how are we supposed to use the apps we use in Android?

Depends on the app really. WhatsApp, Snapchat etc are an absolute no-go since they are very much against any kind of 3rd party clients and any & all work on those in OpenRepos hasn't even been started or has been discontinued.
For Telegram however there are clients like Depecher and Telegra'me (both depend on tdlibjson, install this first if you're gonna try them out!), but they also aren't perfect due to only a few people usually (or sometimes just one person) working on the projects on their free time instead of a big corporations putting in the work.
If you only need a select set of applications/games infrequently, the dual-boot setup may just work for you.
Otherwise read the FAQ.
The Following User Says Thank You to deathmist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift deathmist Ad-Free
18th January 2020, 02:12 PM |#9  
Flag Calcutta
Thanks Meter: 271

More
Added to OP5 channel on telegram here: t.me/op5_files/1508
The Following User Says Thank You to vdbhb59 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vdbhb59 Ad-Free
19th January 2020, 02:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmist

Depends on the app really. WhatsApp, Snapchat etc are an absolute no-go since they are very much against any kind of 3rd party clients and any & all work on those in OpenRepos hasn't even been started or has been discontinued.
For Telegram however there are clients like Depecher and Telegra'me (both depend on tdlibjson, install this first if you're gonna try them out!), but they also aren't perfect due to only a few people usually (or sometimes just one person) working on the projects on their free time instead of a big corporations putting in the work.
If you only need a select set of applications/games infrequently, the dual-boot setup may just work for you.
Otherwise read the FAQ.

Thanks for the clarification.
19th January 2020, 04:07 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
There has been a long-standing issue with NFC always getting re-enabled after a reboot in SFOS. Obviously this is not what you'd want as it causes unnecessary battery drain even when NFC is entirely unused.
This was happening due to a directory ownership issue and should be fixed in the next Sailfish OS release officially.

For now though I fixed this manually on the new uploaded Sailfish OS image (zip), BUT if you already have the OS installed (flashed build <=20200117), you can just reinstall nfcd from a terminal & toggle the option once in Settings to fix the same issue:
Code:
devel-su zypper in --force nfcd
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gnu, jolla, linux, porting, sailfishos

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)