No Gmail Notification When in Sleep Mode

Search This thread

averside

Jul 15, 2017
Hi guys,

I have a problem with Gmail notifications, they are not showing until I unlock my phone. I know it has to do with Doze, so I went to the Battery Optimization menu to try turning off optimization but Gmail app is not present in that list.

Is anyone else has problems with notifications? How do I turn off battery optimization for Gmail App on stock OnePlus 5?

Last edited:

0xTJ

Dec 3, 2014
OnePlus 9
Hi guys,

I have a problem with Gmail notifications, they are not showing until I unlock my phone. I know it has to do with Doze, so I went to the Battery Optimization menu to try turning off optimization but Gmail app is not present in that list.

Is anyone else has problems with notifications? How do I turn off battery optimization on stock OnePlus 5?
Search in settings.

HueleSnaiL

Dec 22, 2010
I concur, Gmail is not visible on the battery optimization list for me either. However, Inbox appears on the list.

averside

Jul 15, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, it seems that only apps installed from Google Play appear on Battery Optimization list.

Does anyone have a problem of missed Gmail notifications?

halfblack

Mar 26, 2012
Cracow
halfblack.tk
OnePlus 7 Pro
I've disabled Doze in developer options and it seems the issue is solved, at least so far. With Greenify handling app hibernation I am not seeing much of a battery drain (and I have WiFi/LTE constantly on).

averside

Jul 15, 2017
I've disabled Doze too and now the issue is gone. I have WiFi/LTE always on and I don't see any side effects for battery life, it is still good. So, that seems to be a solution.

Thanks, everybody!

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Hello everyone. Ive been also having no Gmails after my OP5 screen is off after a few minutes. So I also went to battery optimization list to turn Gmail off from dozing. But it wasnt there. So I had to turn off Doze completely to get it to work. I did however figure out a way to keep Doze on and found a way to add Gmail to that list using a 3rd party app shortcut maker. But for me this didnt work. I still did not get Gmails despite it being exempt from the battery optimizations. But if someone wants to know how I was able to add it to that list let me know. Its not hard, and doesnt require root.

cookie1953

Oct 19, 2014
Hello everyone. Ive been also having no Gmails after my OP5 screen is off after a few minutes. So I also went to battery optimization list to turn Gmail off from dozing. But it wasnt there. So I had to turn off Doze completely to get it to work. I did however figure out a way to keep Doze on and found a way to add Gmail to that list using a 3rd party app shortcut maker. But for me this didnt work. I still did not get Gmails despite it being exempt from the battery optimizations. But if someone wants to know how I was able to add it to that list let me know. Its not hard, and doesnt require root.

Hi Yes I would interested to know how you did it as I'm experiencing the same issue with BlueMail ? - Thx

Last edited:

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Hi Yes I would interested to know how you did it as I'm experiencing the same issue with BlueMail ? - Thx

OK. What I did was use an app called QuickShortcutMaker to start to create a shortcut. Then in the search field I just typed "battery" and looked for the "Settings" section and there you should see "battery optimization". Select that, then select test shortcut. It should open the same "Battery optimization" as before, but will show many more apps then it does normally. Then you can go in there and change as many as you want. Let me know if you figure it out. Going by memory here. Hope that helps.

cookie1953

Oct 19, 2014
OK. What I did was use an app called QuickShortcutMaker to start to create a shortcut. Then in the search field I just typed "battery" and looked for the "Settings" section and there you should see "battery optimization". Select that, then select test shortcut. It should open the same "Battery optimization" as before, but will show many more apps then it does normally. Then you can go in there and change as many as you want. Let me know if you figure it out. Going by memory here. Hope that helps.

Hi - Yes its canny created the BTO shortcut and turned off optimization for it -- lets see if it works now -- Thx

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Just an update. I updated to 4.5.7 and got a Gmail update. Neither fixed it. Ive been in contact with the Oneplus bug hunters and I was told they would look into it. But for now the only way I get Gmails after the screens been off for about an hour is to keep Doze off completely, or wake up the screen. Also just updated to 4.5.8 and doubt anything was fixed as far as this issue goes.

gohan040

May 14, 2011
Eindhoven
If you have root, uninstall gmail with titanium backup and reinstall true Playstore , after that you probably have it visible in battery optimisation.

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
If you have root, uninstall gmail with titanium backup and reinstall true Playstore , after that you probably have it visible in battery optimisation.

I was able to add Gmail to the not battery optimized list by using a shortcut creator that gave me the full list of apps. But this did not fix the issue where Gmails stop coming through after about 45 mins or so with the screen off. So I had to turn Doze all the way off.

mr_pyer

Sep 11, 2017
Hi evryone, first post for me on this forum!

You are telling that turn off Doze solved the problem. Ok I want to do that!

I'm french and I don't find any Doze item in the developer menu. The only item which can correspond is "Mode somnolence" but it is already turn off!

Gmail notifications are very important for me. I'm very disappointed, it's a basic feature!!

Just one remark: I have 3 Google accounts, do you believe it can be a problem?

Reactions: vftk

vftk

Aug 17, 2017
Hello!
And at me on OP5 with notifications from Gmail the same problems. I contacted the developers and provided them with the logs of working with this error. No answer so far. But, promised to understand. All the above solutions are not valid. It remains only to wait and hope.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi evryone, first post for me on this forum!

You are telling that turn off Doze solved the problem. Ok I want to do that!

I'm french and I don't find any Doze item in the developer menu. The only item which can correspond is "Mode somnolence" but it is already turn off!

Gmail notifications are very important for me. I'm very disappointed, it's a basic feature!!

Just one remark: I have 3 Google accounts, do you believe it can be a problem?