FORUMS

Scrolling stutter / jitter /lag?

333 posts
Thanks Meter: 67

By hauhauhau7, Senior Member on 24th June 2017, 06:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I saw a review on YouTube in which the reviewer mentions that OP5 has some kind of jitter when scrolling compared to the other Snapdragon 835 powered phone, in this case, the HTC U11. I searched the OP3/3T forums and saw that it is an old problem.
Do you happen to notice something familiar on your OP5 when scrolling thru different apps?
https://youtu.be/rCgzHvui4K8
min 16:50
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
24th June 2017, 10:41 AM |#2  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Yes it does and to be honest it's annoying, sometimes it's like a shaking jello effect when scrolling and sometimes there's awful jerkiness and stuttering when scrolling through certain web pages in chrome, have to say this should not happen out the box, i hope the scrolling issue gets resolved or I'm sending mine back.
24th June 2017, 12:14 PM |#3  
Flag Kosice
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Got the same, sadly. Hope something can be done about it. The hardware is awesome, but the stuttering is very annoying. I'd expect the experience to be smoother... :-\

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Try to go to developer options and enable force GPU rendering... Seems it helped a bit...
The Following User Says Thank You to caki25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift caki25 Ad-Free
24th June 2017, 12:37 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,997

More
In wich part you have these stutters ...?
I have an OP3T and I don't face any kind of lags.....
Very strange ....OP5 with SD 835 should flying....
24th June 2017, 01:17 PM |#5  
Flag Manchester

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by caki25

Got the same, sadly. Hope something can be done about it. The hardware is awesome, but the stuttering is very annoying. I'd expect the experience to be smoother... :-\

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Try to go to developer options and enable force GPU rendering... Seems it helped a bit...

I'll try that thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caki25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultofluna

In wich part you have these stutters ...?
I have an OP3T and I don't face any kind of lags.....
Very strange ....OP5 with SD 835 should flying....

It's like the refresh rate is set at 45fps for eg instead of 60fps like a flagship should be, there's a jelly shaking effect everywhere you scroll but some apps chrome for eg sometimes hitches and stutters, not acceptable for this kind of hardware tbh.
24th June 2017, 03:39 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
I've not had an android phone that hasn't stuttered to some extent in Chrome.

I can say though that mine has improved over the day or so since I've had the phone and currently is very smooth.

Does anyone have an example of a website that is more prone to lag? I'll try it out.
24th June 2017, 04:06 PM |#7  
Flag Manchester

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebsgb1

I've not had an android phone that hasn't stuttered to some extent in Chrome.

I can say though that mine has improved over the day or so since I've had the phone and currently is very smooth.

Does anyone have an example of a website that is more prone to lag? I'll try it out.

Forcing gpu rendering didn't work for me still the same, open the app drawer and scroll up and down fairly fast you'll see a shimmering effect, also even scrolling up and down in these forums sometimes when the square adverts pop it's stutters like ****, it reminds me of having vsync disabled on my pc that kind off effect, it's like OP have disabled vsync because with it enabled it stuttering even worse like it can't keep up to 60fps, which i find really strange with this kind of hardware, it needs to get sorted fairly quickly, it doesn't do this on my huawei mate 9 or my Nexus 6p, also there's touch latency issues, remember hearing carl pei going on about it in the launch on tuesday, saying they've improved latency when in fact they haven't, if you scroll up and down fast sometimes it's not picking up your touches and skips and just scrolls the last way it detected, I'm very suspicious they new about this problem when they were on about touch latency in the launch.
24th June 2017, 04:58 PM |#8  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady1976

Forcing gpu rendering didn't work for me still the same, open the app drawer and scroll up and down fairly fast you'll see a shimmering effect, also even scrolling up and down in these forums sometimes when the square adverts pop it's stutters like ****, it reminds me of having vsync disabled on my pc that kind off effect, it's like OP have disabled vsync because with it enabled it stuttering even worse like it can't keep up to 60fps, which i find really strange with this kind of hardware, it needs to get sorted fairly quickly, it doesn't do this on my huawei mate 9 or my Nexus 6p, also there's touch latency issues, remember hearing carl pei going on about it in the launch on tuesday, saying they've improved latency when in fact they haven't, if you scroll up and down fast sometimes it's not picking up your touches and skips and just scrolls the last way it detected, I'm very suspicious they new about this problem when they were on about touch latency in the launch.

I have no scroll latency or lag on my phone. Everything is buttery smooth. I didn't change any settings.
24th June 2017, 05:10 PM |#9  
Flag 😂
Thanks Meter: 171

More
I used the oneplus 3t for a while and initially I thought the phone was fast and lag free. However I always used to have a strange feeling that all wasn't as great as it seemed. I use talon for twitter a lot and with the oneplus 3t it was hit and miss at times it would be smooth when scrawling and other times it would lag and stutter. I kinda blamed the app and even sent a few messages to the developer of the app (he never replied lol). I decided to move back to my note 7 (yes it's a fire hog but I love it lol),and well well it was way smother and lag free than the 3t. Am sure you can eventually tweak the oneplus do to what you want and improve lags etc but I just never had the time. Saying that I will keep an eye on this thread as I intend to buy it.
24th June 2017, 05:14 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Cant say much about the lag since I havent got my phone yet, but could somebody give an idea of me a try? If I remember correctly, there used to be some accessability settings in Android, some installed Apps where enabled there by default and caused jitter/lag for me, back on my Nexus 5. Can someone test if this could be the cause? (if this setting still exists, no Idea on what Android version this happened to me) - Either way, im scared now that I wont be to happy with the device, lets hope there will be a fix soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrizzter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Chrizzter Ad-Free
24th June 2017, 05:20 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 493

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady1976

Yes it does and to be honest it's annoying, sometimes it's like a shaking jello effect when scrolling and sometimes there's awful jerkiness and stuttering when scrolling through certain web pages in chrome, have to say this should not happen out the box, i hope the scrolling issue gets resolved or I'm sending mine back.

Yes!!! You see it to. I posted this on Reddit. Everyone check this bull**** out:

Noticed this as soon as I setup the phone. I don't think I've ever seen an AMOLED panel do this. It's almost like it's refreshing each line of pixels too slowly/unevenly during a single frame?

Here's an album of images and video captured from 240 FPS video. View them one after another. The screen refreshes by starting in the bottom left corner and finishes the frame in the top right corner... the icons and text on each line of apps goes out of alignment as I scroll.

Text and elements on the screen stretches out when scrolling down, and smushes together when scrolling up. Straight lines look wavy when scrolling left or right as well!

https://goo.gl/photos/Rx8nZCnzj8jSWXGJ7

https://goo.gl/photos/iwi5JdruMAveRkFN8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128561...57682480018604
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)