OnePlus 5: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!

Search This thread

strongst

Senior Moderator - Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
HTC Raphael: Touch Pro, Fuze
I'm using Blu_Spark Twrp. With the decrypt option offered can I just enter my password and backup and restore without disabling fingerprints, etc or must I still disable it before backing up to avoid issues?
It's highly recommended to remove it before backup, otherwise you need to remove the files with TWRPs file manager if your recovered backup won't unlock.

Reactions: imakul8

Rajeshrajkhaju

Mar 14, 2017
Hello hai bro anybody tell me

1)IAM FIRST TIME TRYING TO ROOT MY ONEPLUS 5
2)IAM RUNNING LATEST LATEST OSS 9.0.6 STABLE

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

2)IAM RUNNING LATEST LATEST OSS 9.0.6 STABLE:angel:

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire

2)IAM RUNNING LATEST LATEST OSS 9.0.6 STABLE

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

2)IAM RUNNING LATEST LATEST OSS 9.0.6 STABLE:angel:
And what is your question?

gokul1980

Oct 8, 2011
Pune
Will i be able to reconfigure my official email id post rooting?

Hi,

I was thinking of going ahead and rooting my device and installing a custom OS. Though i am familiar with the overall process stated here in this thread, i still have a query and i request you experts to guide me.

I have configured my official email id on my device that is running a stock OS. In case i root my phone (without going ahead and installing a custom ROM) & stay encrypted, will i still be able to reconfigure my official email id. By the way, i use the "Boxer" client to configure this email.

Appreciate any advice that you guys may have for me.

Thanks,
Gokul

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Hi,

I was thinking of going ahead and rooting my device and installing a custom OS. Though i am familiar with the overall process stated here in this thread, i still have a query and i request you experts to guide me.

I have configured my official email id on my device that is running a stock OS. In case i root my phone (without going ahead and installing a custom ROM) & stay encrypted, will i still be able to reconfigure my official email id. By the way, i use the "Boxer" client to configure this email.

Appreciate any advice that you guys may have for me.

Thanks,
Gokul
Which tld has the mail address?

Reactions: gokul1980

shreyas1701

Dec 13, 2012
Aweseome

I had lost touch about rooting and oem unlock.
This tutorial had simple steps. Did the entire thing within 25mins on my op5 :D:D:D

Trolske

Aug 13, 2019
Upgrade from OOS 5.1.1 to 9.0.0

What are the steps to jump from OOS 5.1.1 (rooted) to 9.0.0 (rooted)?

I read I first need to update to 5.4.1 for the treble support, but how about afterwards?

My current guess would be:
1. remove encryption
2. back up
3. flash 5.4.1
4. flash TWRP & Magisk
5. flash 9.0.0
6. flash TWRP & Magisk

Thanks in advance!

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
What are the steps to jump from OOS 5.1.1 (rooted) to 9.0.0 (rooted)?

I read I first need to update to 5.4.1 for the treble support, but how about afterwards?

My current guess would be:
1. remove encryption
2. back up
3. flash 5.4.1
4. flash TWRP & Magisk
5. flash 9.0.0
6. flash TWRP & Magisk

Thanks in advance!
Nope, much easier:
Clean flash 5.1.4 then take ota update(or dirty flash full zip) 9.0.8
Then you can install twrp and magisk again.
These are the steps as an overview if you're familiar with the stuff.

Reactions: Trolske

Trolske

Aug 13, 2019
Nope, much easier:
Clean flash 5.1.4 then take ota update(or dirty flash full zip) 9.0.8
Then you can install twrp and magisk again.
These are the steps as an overview if you're familiar with the stuff.

Nice, thanks a lot!

Does the OTA work because I'm not reflashing TWRP/Magisk between versions, therefore i'm not rooted?

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Nice, thanks a lot!

Does the OTA work because I'm not reflashing TWRP/Magisk between versions, therefore i'm not rooted?
Exactly, that's why ota is working: stock recovery, no root.

Hence you should flash twrp from fastboot after, 9.0.8 and then magisk if you want to choose this way :good:

Reactions: Trolske

DylanTheVillian

Nov 21, 2010
Spring, TX
everytime i try to relock my bootloader my phone refuses to boot back into oos. it will perform the relock then wipe data then it boots back to a the oneplus bootsplash and then to a black screen with a white led lit... nothing else happens..

can someone let me know what i need to do to correct this?

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
everytime i try to relock my bootloader my phone refuses to boot back into oos. it will perform the relock then wipe data then it boots back to a the oneplus bootsplash and then to a black screen with a white led lit... nothing else happens..

can someone let me know what i need to do to correct this?
Did you format internal storage prior this? Please give more information about rom, mods, encryption status of internal storage etc.

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
I tried clean format and just booting to the bootloader after I've been using it, same result. Stock latest OOS, not rooted, I am encrypted. I even installed OOS 9.0.7 and I got the same result there too...
Ok, I recommend to flash(dirty from stock recovery by local installation) 9.0.8 again. Then reboot to the os, go to factory reset and start factory reset. Then reboot to bootloader and try locking again.
If this did also not help, there's an unbrick guide(msm tool) which will write all partitions new.

hsg120

Dec 11, 2009
I've done a ton of googling and haven't found an answer to this. Hoping someone can help :good:

I'm trying to remove forced encryption on a custom ROM. Whenever I flash a dm-verity disabler zip via TWRP, I get the error, "Updater process ended with Error: 1. Error installing zip file."

The relevant part of the TWRP log says, "/tmp/updater[63]: .: config.sh: No such file or directory. Updater process ended with ERROR: 1"

What am I doing wrong?

shadowstep

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala Cantt
OnePlus 9R
Samsung Galaxy Watch 6
I've done a ton of googling and haven't found an answer to this. Hoping someone can help :good:

I'm trying to remove forced encryption on a custom ROM. Whenever I flash a dm-verity disabler zip via TWRP, I get the error, "Updater process ended with Error: 1. Error installing zip file."

The relevant part of the TWRP log says, "/tmp/updater[63]: .: config.sh: No such file or directory. Updater process ended with ERROR: 1"

What am I doing wrong?

Try using a different no-verity zip. I recommend the xXx-No-Verity-4.0.zip downloadable from here. Additionally, I hope you know that just flashing the zip over an existing installation will NOT remove encryption. You will have to format your data for it.

Reactions: hsg120

hsg120

Dec 11, 2009
Try using a different no-verity zip. I recommend the xXx-No-Verity-4.0.zip downloadable from here. Additionally, I hope you know that just flashing the zip over an existing installation will NOT remove encryption. You will have to format your data for it.

Woohoo!! That worked! It's weird because I tried one other no verity zip (I forget which one, specifically) and it didn't work either. But the one that you linked me to did the trick. I am now unencrypted :victory:

Thank you so much for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OnePlus 5: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!

qz9h9NZ.jpg

Q9IP5VP.png

3RVsG8v.png

Before you start, OTA up to the latest System Update available.
    Settings > System Updates > Download & Install the latest available
    2a7O1JW.jpg

Introduction​

Rooting this device is actually quite a simple and easy process. Before you begin, it is recommended that you at least try to understand what each part of the process will do. Although this guide will elongate each step in order to show all of the details, the method used can be broken up into 3 main steps: ​

Unlocking the Bootloader
    Installing a Custom Recovery
    Gaining Root Access

Each new step relies on the previous step so please follow the entire process and a basic summary of each part is described as below:

Unlocking Bootloader​
    Opens the door to the internal memory of the device to be written on to. This allows you to flash images onto the main partitions of the phone.​

Installing a Custom Recovery​​
    A custom recovery is flashed onto the recovery partition of the device and overwrites the stock recovery that exists by default. Custom recoveries bring lots of functionality and give you the ability to perform wipes, install flashable zips, create full backups of your device (Nandroid backup), and various other features. An unlocked bootloader is needed to install a custom recovery.

Gaining Root Access​​
    You can gain root by either flashing via recovery a pre-rooted custom rom, or flashing a zip containing the SuperSU binaries or by Flashing Magisk Zip for a system less root. A custom recovery is necessary to do this.

After completing these steps your phone will be rooted, the phone will have a custom recovery installed and an unlocked bootloader. This, in my opinion, is the a practical and beneficial method for rooting your phone. It will give you some basic adb/fastboot knowledge, and should hopefully help you have a decent understanding of the entire process. This method will work regardless of any android version on the phone.

If you are confused by anything in this guide, I highly suggest getting it clarified being before moving on. Ask your question in this thread and I or someone else will likely answer. Also we would suggest that you read over the whole thread a few times before actually doing anything to the phone.​
    Gaining Root Access

This is a continued post from the above post...

For Users who want to remain Encrypted: :fingers-crossed:

1. Boot into TWRP Recovery and allow system modifications.
    2. Swipe right and enable modifications.
    3. Select your preferred Language, Tap “Never show this screen on boot again,” and Swipe allow modification.
    4. Navigate to Install and select Magisk Or SuperSU to root OnePlus 5.
    5. Swipe to confirm the flash
    6. Reboot System

Keep in mind that the first boot after wiping the phone may take longer than usual, as the phone will need to rebuild the dalvik cache and initialize other first boot and would reboot a few times due to SuperSU Flash.

For Users who want to Decrypt Data have to Format Data & Flash No Verity OP5 Zip :fingers-crossed:

1. Boot into TWRP Recovery and allow system modifications.
    2. Swipe right and enable modifications.
    3. Select your preferred Language, Tap “Never show this screen on boot again,” and Swipe allow modification.

Go to “Wipe” section and tap “Format Data”, and type “yes” to mount internal storage

4. Download & Transfer no_verity_op5.zip to the device over MTP from here Credits @snowwolf725
    5. Go to “Install” section, select no_verity_op5.zip, and swipe to confirm the flash
    6. Transfer latest Magisk/SuperSU to the device over MTP to your Oneplus 5 & Swipe to confirm the flash
    7. Reboot System

* MTP, known as Media Transfer Protocol, is the same way you transfer files from your PC to your device when booted into system.

Congrats! That is all! Your Device now has an unlocked bootloader, a custom recovery installed and is rooted along with your preference of staying encrypted or decrypted.

Warning: Do not flash partial update OTAs (under 1 GB) on a modified device! If you want to use partial OTAs, you must first flash a full OTA that it applies to, and then flash the partial OTA from stock recovery. Flashing partial OTAs from TWRP will either fail or soft brick your device. You can return to a usable state by flashing full zips in recovery.

Enjoy :fingers-crossed:
    Setup, Preparation & Prerequisites​​
    Basic tasks that may be referred to throughout this guide:​
    Open Command Prompt: Press Shift + Right Click anywhere on the screen and select Open Command Window here

Enter Fastboot/Bootloader Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + power until the "fastboot" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot > Bootloader from the power menu.]

Enter Recovery Mode: Turn the phone off. Hold volume down + power until the "OnePlus Logo" screen appears. [Alternatively, if Advanced Reboot is enabled, you can press Reboot -> Recovery from the power menu.]

ADB and Fastboot Installation​
    1. Download the ADB For Windows from here Credits @Snoop05 his Original XDA Thread Here

Or You can manually update Fastboot and ADB binaries here Credits @lj50036 his Original XDA Thread Here

2. Run the .exe file downloaded from above as Administrator.
    3. Press 'Y' every time the installer asks for.
    4. Continue Driver Installation.

Now, ADB and Fastboot have been installed on your PC and should be Working as desired.

Things To Remember​
    Show File Extensions :good:
    Open a command prompt window and run "Control folders" (without the quotes). Go to the View tab and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This will help avoid confusion when renaming files.

Battery :good:
    Ensure that your phone has at least 60% battery remaining, and that your PC is plugged in and wont shut down spontaneously during the process. The procedure doesn't take very long , but its best to have enough charge in case something goes wrong.

Backup (Optional) :good:
    Unlocking the bootloader will/should completely wipe all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal sdcard (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files off the phone onto a PC or upload them to a cloud.

USB Debugging :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > About phone > Tap on Build number 7 times. This will enable Developer options. Now go back to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging

Enable OEM Unlocking :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'OEM Unlocking' option. Also make sure that from now on, OEM unlocking option is enabled before you reboot as sometimes, it might get disabled itself.

Enable Advanced Reboot :good:
    On your phone go to Settings > Developer options. Then enable the 'Advanced Reboot' option.
    Unlocking Bootloader

Turn the phone off. Then boot it into fastboot mode by holding volume up + power or select reboot to bootloader if advanced reboot is activated via developer options. The phone will display "fastboot" text indicating that it has successfully entered fastboot mode.

Plug the phone into your PC, then open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here) and type:

Code:
    fastboot devices

This command will list the connected devices. If your phones serial number shows up you are good to go and may continue. If the phone is NOT listed this indicates that your drivers are not installed correctly. In order for you to continue you must fix your drivers so that your phone is listed under fastboot devices.

If the phone has been recognized by the command above, proceed to unlocking the bootloader with the following command:

Remember this Step will WIPE EVERYTHING off the phone so Backup all your Data

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

x6hqaHU.jpg

You would be greeted with a Unlock Bootloader Warning page, Hit the Vol button to select Yes and turn it Blue and Hit the Power Button to Execute the selection

R9phbUg.jpg

Your device will reboot, show you a Secure boot warning, reboot into stock recovery and wipe all data. Once done, your phone will reboot into the OS.

Please continue and follow the next post to install Custom Recovery