FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Does the cheating matter to you, or affect your opinion on the phone or company?

Yes

20 Vote(s)
20.83%
No

76 Vote(s)
79.17%

OP5 - Benchmark cheating!

924 posts
Thanks Meter: 316

By TwinAdk, Senior Member on 20th June 2017, 07:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all!

See this news article: https://www.xda-developers.com/onepl...ating-reviews/

Long story short - all cores on a test device were bumped to max performance (and stayed there) whenever a benchmark app was run.
This was done by identifying the app name (package name). Very simple and crude implementation.

Graph of performance when running a custom build app with no identifiers:

Same when running standard apps with regular identifiers present (the phone is now cheating):

Dick move OnePlus! Still ordered the phone though

20th June 2017, 08:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Are you sure this is called cheating? It's really the max performance of the phone, and it doesn't overclock itself. And yeah, it's a bad move to identify those apps, but I wouldn't call it cheating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G4B33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift G4B33 Ad-Free
20th June 2017, 08:18 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
The article suggests its cheating, thats there wording Personally i partly agree with you though. But locking at max is not every day behaviour
21st June 2017, 12:23 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 897

More
Have OP learned nothing?!
21st June 2017, 12:34 AM |#5  
Flag Charleston, SC
Thanks Meter: 233

More
I can care less about the benchmarks. I care about smoothness and ram management. I hope it is better than my Pixel XL. Time will tell.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app
21st June 2017, 01:18 AM |#6  
Flag Fairfield
Thanks Meter: 47

Donate to Me
More
The 3T was one of the best android experiences I have ever had. I'm looking forward to receiving my Oneplus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to glitchhawk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift glitchhawk Ad-Free
21st June 2017, 05:04 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Agree benchmarks are not important in everyday life, or actually not even when choosing phone.

Sent from my NEM-L21 using XDA Labs
21st June 2017, 05:46 AM |#8  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 1,305

More
i ordered OP5 right after the launch event.. and i couldnt care less for the benchmark scores..

yet, this is cheating..
i dont think most people want to know how the device performs at its peak before burning itself.. instead actual real-life performance is the focus..
it (the "cheat") gives false impression/expectation on performance to those non-techie people with non-normal/in-lab-only usage pattern..

and if you think this is not cheating, why not apply it to all use cases instead of only target at particular benchmark apps, if its such a wonderful behaviour to have?
21st June 2017, 06:03 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Battery Life Only Benchmark that Matters
Since the 801 -- which still speeds along my 1+1 plenty fast for me -- I typically skip all the benchmark scores (boring!) and look for the one thing that matters most to me -- the battery life experienced by the reviewer. And according to ArsTech*, the battery life on the 1+5 is stellar!

* https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...you-can-buy/2/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveinAsia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaveinAsia Ad-Free
24th June 2017, 01:48 AM |#10  
Flag San Jacinto
Thanks Meter: 493

More
Who cares? Does it affect your use of the phone? No. Does it make oneplus look bad? Yes.
24th June 2017, 02:11 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Benchmark
Just done a benchmark rated top
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170624-020528.png
Views:	574
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	4191606  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread