[CLOSED] Enable Native Call Recording [OOS] [ROOT/NON-ROOT] [APP/MAGISK MODULE/ADB/TASKER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xinseo

Nov 17, 2013
I believe the OOS Dialer has been replaced by Google dialer in Android 12. Therefore, the older methods will not work.

callumw

Jan 17, 2014
London
CallumW.com
I'm not seeing call recording on my S22 (UK release) :(

Even though its permissions suggest it can - under Optional Permissions
"Storage - Used to play call recordings and show them in your call history"

Hayatzada

Jul 26, 2013
Lahore
On OOS 11.0.6.1 can not open Phone DialerApp and Both Sims are not recognized. signal icon changed to invalid sim icons.problem resolves by uninstall magisk native call recording module but if i flash again the problem keep existing, Any solution?

nightelves

Nov 1, 2013
On OOS 11.0.6.1 can not open Phone DialerApp and Both Sims are not recognized. signal icon changed to invalid sim icons.problem resolves by uninstall magisk native call recording module but if i flash again the problem keep existing, Any solution?
Same problem on OxygenOS 11.1.2.2 - com.android.phone app keeps crashing. It worked for a long time but recently started crashing after reboot.

covar

May 6, 2018
Hello
I have OP5T (magisk 25.1) and latest version of magisk module isn't working.
It doesn't record. It creates the recorded file but if i try to replay the duration of the file is 1 to 3 seconds with no audio.
Please help

OrbitronX

Dec 29, 2013
Athens
OnePlus 8
On clean Magisk 25.1 install, the module does not work (Phone does not even show "Call Recording"). If I install Magisk 24.3, the module and then update Magisk to 25.1, it works. So strange.

GeeM

Nov 6, 2007
I think this module is dying with the latest versions of Magisk and Android :(
It doesn't work on my OP8P after the update to OOS 12 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

Hello everyone! You might/might not know that OxygenOS (and ROMs based on it) have an in-built/native call recording feature. However, it is not enabled for everyone as it is region-locked and it might/might not be illegal to record calls where you are, with/without notifying the other party that the call is being recorded.

This thread has been created with the intent of enabling this call recording feature on OxygenOS (and ROMs based on it). There are several ways to achieve this, which have been listed below. You can use any method, as per your preference, and it should work. Let's get straight to it then!

Ways to Enable

Non-Root Method(s)
    • ADB command via a computer
    Root Method(s) (in order of recommendation)
    • Magisk module
    • Flashable zip
    • Tasker profile
    • App which runs on boot

Detailed Information and Usage

Non-Root Method(s)
      • Requirements: A working ADB interface on a computer, USB debugging enabled on the device
      • Usage: Run the following command to enable native call recording:
        Code:
        adb shell settings put global op_voice_recording_supported_by_mcc 1
      • Reboot Survival: No
    Root Method(s) (in order of recommendation)
      • Requirements: Magisk
      • Usage: Download and copy the EnableOOSNativeCallRecording-Magisk v9.1.zip to your device. Once done, install it in Magisk Manager as a module.
      • Reboot Survival: Yes
      • Requirements: TWRP
      • Usage: Download and copy the EnableOOSNativeCallRecording-Flashable v8.0.zip to your device. Once done, reboot to recovery (TWRP) and just flash the zip.
      • Note: This method should work for rootless users too, but it needs TWRP and hence an unlocked bootloader.
      • Requirements: A rooted device, Tasker
      • Usage: Download and copy the EnableOOSNativeCallRecordingv2.prf.xml to your device. Once done, import it in Tasker as a profile.
      • Requirements: A rooted device
      • Usage: Download and install the EnableOOSNativeCallRecording v2.0.apk and run it. At the first launch, grant root access to the app.

Downloads

Compatibility

Device(s)
    • All OnePlus Devices
    ROM(s)
    • OxygenOS

Important Read-Me Points
    • [Magisk module only] The module installation has been designed to use the existing TeleService.apk from your device and modify it. Hence, if you update your ROM, there is a chance that the original apk that was modified is updated with the ROM update, which might lead to bootloops/other issues after installing the update, with this module installed. To avoid this from happening, always update your ROM by following these steps: Uninstall the existing module -> Reboot -> Download and apply the system update -> Reboot -> Download and install the latest module -> Reboot your phone again once the installation is complete.
    • [App method only] After your device fully boots up, a notification message will appear in the status bar/pull down notification panel to let you know that call recording has been enabled (which will go after 10 seconds if you don't swipe it away).
    • [App method only] There is also a "Read Me" link in the notification message if you want to read a short information regarding the app.
    • [All methods] Please make sure that you wait for at least 30 seconds after boot before checking if the call recording menu option is visible for you under the stock dialer's settings.
    • [All methods] All your recordings will be stored either at /storage/emulated/0/Record/PhoneRecord OR /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.oneplus.communication.data/files/Record in the aac format.
    • [All methods] The mod works only works when using the stock OxygenOS dialer, and it will not enable call recording in any other app, like Google Dialer, etc.
    • [All methods] If something that is supposed to run on boot is not executing on boot, you need to turn off advanced optimisation: Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimisation -> Three dot menu (⋮) -> Advanced optimisation -> Turn off.
    • [All methods] The mod enables native call recording option, but may not turn on auto-recording of the calls. If you wish to do that, after using one of the methods listed above, open the Stock Dialer App -> Three dot menu (⋮) -> Settings -> Auto-record calls -> Turn on.
    • [All methods] If you have hidden root from the stock dialer app via Magisk Hide, the call recording option might disappear after sometime. Make sure that the stock dialer is not checked in the Magisk Hide selection list.

Disclaimers
    • I am not the developer of the Enable OOS Native Call Recording app. I merely stumbled upon it in OnePlus 3T's Themes, Apps and Mods forum and I take no credit for it. Please direct all your thanks and/or donations towards @padlad, the original developer of the app. Link to the original thread is here.
    • I am not the developer of the flashable zip. The zip was posted later in this thread and I take no credit for it. Please direct all your thanks and/or donations towards @Zackptg5, the original developer of the flashable zip.
    • I am not the developer of the Tasker profile. The profile was posted later in this thread and I take no credit for it. Please direct all your thanks and/or donations towards @strongst, the original creator of the Tasker profile (original idea by @Fif_).
    • You are doing this at your own risk. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you are unsure of how to go about something.
    • It might be illegal in your country to record calls with/without notifying the other party that the call is being recorded. Either ways, you are responsible for using this mod.

Thanks To
    • @padlad, for creating the Enable Call Recording app and the Tasker profile
    • @Zackptg5, for creating the flashable zip
    • @strongst, for creating the Tasker profile and for being super helpful to everyone
    • @My Name is ShaoXIa, for doing excellent research work and making great recommendations for improving the stability and effectiveness of the Magisk module
    • @Taknok, for improving race condition handling at boot
    • @topjohnwu, for Magisk and all the work he's ever done for the community
    • @osm0sis, for the AnyKernel3 template and all the work he's ever done for the community
    • @joaomgcd, for Tasker
    • @Tomek Kondrat, for the mention in this XDA article
    • All of you guys for viewing this thread

Changelog
    • v1.0 - Initial release
    • v2.0 - Enable run-on-boot
    • v1.0 - Initial release for Magisk v13.1, v13.2, v13.3
    • v2.0 - Update for Magisk v14.0
    • v3.0 - Update for Magisk v15.0
    • v3.1 - Reduced the script execution delay from 2 minutes post boot to 10 seconds post boot
    • v3.2 - Slightly increased the script execution delay from 10 seconds post boot to 30 seconds post boot
    • v4.0 - Update for Magisk v16.0
    • v5.0 - Update for Magisk v17.0
    • v5.1 - Made the script execute the command 5 times at an interval of 30 seconds after boot
    • v5.2 - Made the script execute the command every minute infinitely post the initial run
    • v5.3 - Adjusted the script to make the infinite loop run asynchronously
    • v5.4 - Reverted changes made in v5.2 and v5.3 as most of the users preferred and had no issues with v5.1
    • v6.0 - Fixed call recording automatically getting disabled after a while
    • v6.1 - Reverted the last change which caused SIM settings force closes
    • v7.0 - Permanently fixed call recording automatically getting disabled after a while and fixed the SIM settings force close issue that was caused by the release of v6.0
    • v8.0 - Update for Magisk v19.0
    • v9.0 - Updated template and added manufacturer check
    • v9.1 - Base template update and manufacturer check bug fix
    • v9.2 - Improve race condition handling at boot and fixed installation failures with Magisk Canary
    • v1.0 - Initial release
    • v2.0 - Updated to remove the separate init file and run the command from existing the init.rc file
    • v3.0 - Updated to include device codenames in addition to the official device names
    • v4.0 - Synced with the latest AnyKernel template and new BusyBox
    • v5.0 - Synced with the latest AnyKernel template and changed backup/restore method
    • v6.0 - Completely re-wrote flashable zip; now works for rootless users too who have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP installed
    • v7.0 - Added a slight delay in command execution to support Treble OOS; shifted the script to /system/etc/init
    • v8.0 - Permanently fixed call recording automatically getting disabled after a while
    • v1.0 - Initial release
    • v2.0 - Updated parameters for stability and effectiveness

OP Update Information

Created: July 10, 2017
    Last Updated: January 17, 2021
    Guys, sorry to inform, but the module has been removed from Magisk Repo. John decided that the repo should not have any device/manufacturer specific modules, and he cleaned up the repo. I will still update the module, and post about the same here, but the update won't be available in the repo anymore, so you'll have to manually download the module from the first post and install. I recommend bookmarking this thread. :good:
    Hi all - OP updated with a new Magisk module. Thanks to the research done by @My Name is ShaoXIa, the module (in addition to executing the command that enables native call recording) also disables the activity that is responsible for turning off native call recording automatically after some time, so it should hopefully persist now. :)
    If you aren't rooted, you'll have to manually run the command every time you reboot. There is no known workaround for that, unfortunately.

Thanks for your reply. I found a way to change the setting value without root and without having to use adb on a computer after each reboot. You still need to do it manually, but at least you can do it easily using the phone. I'm sharing below how I did in case you may want to add it to the existing methods:

1. Install Settings Database Editor app.
    2. Allow the app to change system setting by running the following adb command on a computer:
    Code:
    adb shell pm grant by4a.setedit22 android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    Fortunatelly this is a persistent change, so you only need to run this comman once, the permission granted to the app will be there even after reboots.

Once the above is done, you don't need a computer anymore to enable call recording, you can do it with the app following these simple steps:

1. Open the app, change the top right drop down to "Global Table".
    2. Look for op_voice_recording_supported_by_mcc setting and tap on it.
    3. Then tap on "EDIT VALUE", change it to 1, and tap on "SAVE CHANGES".

Done! :D

It's not as good as having the change applied automatically on each boot, but at least you don't need to have a computer at hand to enable call recording.
    Hi everyone - OP updated! :)

New stable Magisk module (v7.0) is now available for download from the OP as well as from Magisk Repo. To avoid any issues, I recommend the following upgrade path -
    • Uninstall the existing module (test/old stable) from Magisk Manager
    • Reboot your phone
    • Download and install the latest module (v7.0) from Magisk Manager's Download section
    • Reboot your phone again once the installation is complete
    Enjoy the weekend!