[Tool] Adjust Auto Brightness

Search This thread

mooop12

Jul 5, 2010
If you're as annoyed as I am by the fact that the minimal auto-brightness level is set even in fairly bright rooms and you would like to adjust it, then I have a simple tool for you. Just start it, enter your desired adjustment level (0-255) and click OK. My app will set the brightness immediately, and also every time the screen turns on (this is required because the adjustment does not seem to stick for very long).

You can download the latest version along with the source code here: My GitHub

saccentekennedy

Nov 15, 2012
Hey... Thanks for your app. It's definitely working. I'm not 100% sure what it does though... Does it set the lowest possible autobrightness level, and then the automatic adjustment takes over from there? Can you explain a bit more?

mooop12

Jul 5, 2010
Hey... Thanks for your app. It's definitely working. I'm not 100% sure what it does though... Does it set the lowest possible autobrightness level, and then the automatic adjustment takes over from there? Can you explain a bit more?

Let's say the auto brightness sets a brightness level "x" normally. If you adjust the auto brightness in my tool then the brightness will be set to "x + whatever you put in my tool" instead.

saccentekennedy

Nov 15, 2012
Let's say the auto brightness sets a brightness level "x" normally. If you adjust the auto brightness in my tool then the brightness will be set to "x + whatever you put in my tool" instead.

Thanks for that explanation.

So, then something funny is going on. At the moment, it's full sunshine out and using your app is making the screen dimmer. I've set the app to '50', and when I turn the phone on, the screen dims and I have to toggle autobrightness off and on again to reset it to full brightness. I'm not sure whether I'm using it wrong, or it's a bug?

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Thanks for that explanation.

So, then something funny is going on. At the moment, it's full sunshine out and using your app is making the screen dimmer. I've set the app to '50', and when I turn the phone on, the screen dims and I have to toggle autobrightness off and on again to reset it to full brightness. I'm not sure whether I'm using it wrong, or it's a bug?

Edit... Further observations:

When conditions would mean full brightness on autobrightness, it feels like the screen is SUBTRACTING the amount I put into the app. Does that make sense?

mooop12

Jul 5, 2010
Not sure what's causing it for you, it's working fine on my phone. Sometimes it gets bugged and it goes from full brightness to zero again, but that's because the setting does not seem to stick for very long, I just have to lock and unlock the phone and it works fine. It shouldn't be subtracting from the brightness though.

saccentekennedy

Nov 15, 2012
Not sure what's causing it for you, it's working fine on my phone. Sometimes it gets bugged and it goes from full brightness to zero again, but that's because the setting does not seem to stick for very long, I just have to lock and unlock the phone and it works fine. It shouldn't be subtracting from the brightness though.

I'll try a very high number to make it really obvious if it's working or not

mooop12

Jul 5, 2010
I've posted an update. I noticed the brightness adjustment resets very often so I've added a functionality to set the adjustment every 2 seconds while the screen is on. It shouldn't have any effect on the battery as it barely uses any CPU (less than 20 second in the course of a whole day).

Blueblob

Jan 7, 2012
Brussel
aufildudroid.blogspot.be
I've posted an update. I noticed the brightness adjustment resets very often so I've added a functionality to set the adjustment every 2 seconds while the screen is on. It shouldn't have any effect on the battery as it barely uses any CPU (less than 20 second in the course of a whole day).
Or user can disable optimization battery for your app ?

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A5000 en utilisant Tapatalk

Javi22

Feb 26, 2011
Madrid
Works fine except when you want the maximum brightness, for me it won't let me use max brightness unless there's much light and it activates itself

Chaphasilor

Mar 24, 2017
Asus Zenfone 10
In the changelog for 4.5.11 is says they improved autobrightness. Has any of you noticed this? Do you still need this mod, or do you just need the update...?

tdro

Nov 4, 2015
Tried it on OOS5. It stops working afther I change the brightness manually. Brighness goes to 0 afther unlock.

I-AM-PC

Aug 12, 2017
Mumbai
Good Solution

Thanks for providing this minimal app, I just discovered it & it works great. Better than Lux Lite shall I say (my previous solution)

kimon60

Apr 17, 2012
Greece
I have the same problem with a user in a previous post.
It does work as the minimum brightness according to the value I set, but also limits the maximum brightness.
For some reason I never get it.
Only if I set 255 in the app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're as annoyed as I am by the fact that the minimal auto-brightness level is set even in fairly bright rooms and you would like to adjust it, then I have a simple tool for you. Just start it, enter your desired adjustment level (0-255) and click OK. My app will set the brightness immediately, and also every time the screen turns on (this is required because the adjustment does not seem to stick for very long).

You can download the latest version along with the source code here: My GitHub
    It shouldn't have any effect on battery life. It shows 0% used on my phone in the last 48h.