FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

6GB or 8GB RAM?

825 posts
Thanks Meter: 332

By quickstang, Senior Member on 18th November 2017, 07:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know the difference with performance on something with 6GB vs 8GB? Negligible you think?

I remember a side by side of the S8+ with 4GB vs 6GB.

I guess really for double the storage & an extra 2GB of RAM for $60 more, it's almost a no brainer.
However, i'm just trying to get an idea from those of you who know more about RAM in phones than I do to chime in.
I'm also guessing it's normal to bump the RAM every time you bump the storage. At least I am starting to see that in some newer phones, (don't see a 128GB 5T with 6GB) but not all. You don't see the Pixels like that (and still with 4GB).

Seems to be RAM is all over the place & I always thought cost was the factor, but if OP can do 6GB & 8GB it doesn't appear to be that.

18th November 2017, 08:08 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
well, in my opinion, 6GB of RAM is more than enough for the average user. but if you're really really looking for performance, pick the 8GB version, obviously.
The Following User Says Thank You to skinnyflirter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skinnyflirter Ad-Free
18th November 2017, 09:37 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 274

More
why they even have a model with 6gb/64gb.
The Following User Says Thank You to x111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift x111 Ad-Free
19th November 2017, 03:05 AM |#4  
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 1,159

Donate to Me
More
I've seen a few comparisons of both version of the OnePlus 5. The device with 8GB of RAM was able to keep many more apps in memory (obviously). This led to much fewer app redraws.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baldilocks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Baldilocks Ad-Free
19th November 2017, 04:55 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I chose the 8GB option, because I want this phone to last me 2 years, and I am thinking about what may be needed for Android P and Android Q updates/ROMs in the future
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daniel-t For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel-t Ad-Free
19th November 2017, 06:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
The 8GB is for "power" users who cycle through a lot of apps
128 GB is for people who have a lot of apps and record a lot of video/need to store a lot of data
This is what the head of OnePlus marketing said in an interview. I don't think the 8GB is meant for future-proofing the phone
As explained in the interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4_zhRWHwk4
The Following User Says Thank You to the_reckoner1_1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_reckoner1_1 Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 10:43 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_reckoner1_1

The 8GB is for "power" users who cycle through a lot of apps
128 GB is for people who have a lot of apps and record a lot of video/need to store a lot of data
This is what the head of OnePlus marketing said in an interview. I don't think the 8GB is meant for future-proofing the phone
As explained in the interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4_zhRWHwk4

I did see that interview. I know the intention is for power users, but it is my personal view that 8GBs will serve me better in the future, than 6GB.

I intend to use the phone for 2 years at least, and so if official updates stop after a year and a bit, I have the option to install a custom rom.
20th November 2017, 11:32 PM |#8  
/root
Thanks Meter: 42

More
i'll go for the 64GB one, i currenlty have the OPO sandstone 64gb, and never handled to fill it. Also i dont really feel like 8gb ram are usefull atm...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seanwlk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seanwlk Ad-Free
20th November 2017, 11:33 PM |#9  
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 100

More
8GB for me.
21st November 2017, 04:52 PM |#10  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
It's really 64gb vs 128 gb. 6 gb of ram is plenty. 8gb is for bragging rights only.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barondebxl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift barondebxl Ad-Free
21st November 2017, 05:27 PM |#11  
Flag Dover, DE
Thanks Meter: 1,159

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl

It's really 64gb vs 128 gb. 6 gb of ram is plenty. 8gb is for bragging rights only.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

When the two were tested (side-by-side OnePlus 5), the 8GB model, naturally was able to keep many more apps in memory. Don't know if I would consider that bragging rights, but I would consider it better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baldilocks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Baldilocks Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)