Notification problem

Search This thread

mazdamiata210

Apr 8, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I'm currently using a 5T and as much as I love the phone and don't want to go back to my 2 year old laggy, stuttery, iPhone 6S Plus... I'm having a major issue with notifications not coming through. I only use a handful of apps, and a lot of them aren't getting important notifications that I need to be on time. I had this problem with the Note 8 I returned also.

It seems like Android now puts your apps into such a deep sleep mode that they no longer function. I think a core app, like Gmail, should be able to get an email on time. I tried turning off battery optimizations for each app. It didn't matter, and Gmail isn't even in the list of apps to turn off anyway. Also went into developer options and turned off "Doze mode" which seemed to help, but not completely fix the problem. Before it was 90% chance of no notification and with doze mode off it's about 50/50. Still not acceptable, and my iPhone sitting right next to it signed into the same accounts/apps on the same wifi network get every notification right on time.

This isn't a OnePlus issue, more of an Android issue since the same apps aren't working on here like they did on the Note 8. Pretty sure it has to do with the new "Doze" feature baked into the OS. A simple google search actually pulled up tons of posts about this same issue since Marshmellow, and now again in Nougat. Alot of the results came from OnePlus forums also. Some being from Google about Nexus devices.

Gmail is a big one. Discord is another big one, and unlike the rest which will load your missed notifications, Discord just shows nothing until you go in the app and have all your missed notifications.

Other than that MAJOR problem, I'm loving this phone and actually dreading the day I have to go back to iOS after using it for 10 years.

Any suggestions?

Happened on 4.7.2, 4.7.4, 4.7.5 completely stock with a factory reset between each update.

Reactions: rrohanjs

martinez5241

Nov 26, 2010
CHICAGO
www.facebook.com
Go to settings>battery>battery optimization> top right 3 dots>advance optimization
Is this turned on?
If it's turned on, this can be part of your issue.
I downloaded this app to get a better control of what apps I want turned off(no boot). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.ty3uk.oxygenhiddensettings

Or perhaps it's an issue with deep clear. You may have it on. Settings>advance>recent app management> select normal clear.

I had this issue myself. with what I suggested above it fixed my issue. Also, I have doze mode turned on in Developer options.
Maybe it will work for you. Good luck.

mazdamiata210

Apr 8, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Go to settings>battery>battery optimization> top right 3 dots>advance optimization
Is this turned on?
I downloaded this app to get a better control of what apps I want turned off(no boot). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.ty3uk.oxygenhiddensettings

Or perhaps it's an issue with deep clear. You may have it on. Settings>advance>recent app management> select normal clear.

I had this issue myself. with what I suggested above it fixed my issue. Also, I have doze mode turned on in Developer options.

Nope all that is set to the right (default) settings.

digitalmahdi

Sep 12, 2009
does this only happen on wifi or you have this problem on data too? how long after you switch off the screen notifications stop working?

Reactions: gotshoaib

digitalmahdi

Sep 12, 2009
its kinda odd that u say you had this issue on note 8 too. cause i was thinking maybe if its happening on wifi then there is something wrong with your router, at my company we are behind some firewall as our router which causes random hiccups on push notifications from google sometimes, which i guess in your case is different as you say you have this issue on the data as well.

mazdamiata210

Apr 8, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
its kinda odd that u say you had this issue on note 8 too. cause i was thinking maybe if its happening on wifi then there is something wrong with your router, at my company we are behind some firewall as our router which causes random hiccups on push notifications from google sometimes, which i guess in your case is different as you say you have this issue on the data as well.

Thought the same thing, changed routers first and it didn't make a difference. The Note 8 was happening off wifi when I noticed it first also.

rmaathuis

Feb 4, 2011
Thought the same thing, changed routers first and it didn't make a difference. The Note 8 was happening off wifi when I noticed it first also.
I noticed the same issue, it also happened on my OnePlus 5. And I see more people complaining on Dutch fora.

Just install the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm to track your data usage, and you'll notice at some point the app gets completely closed for no reason and stops collecting your usage details, which makes the app useless. But also a lot of calendar notification will not popup.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mazdamiata210

Apr 8, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I noticed the same issue, it also happened on my OnePlus 5. And I see more people complaining on Dutch fora.

Just install the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm to track your data usage, and you'll notice at some point the app gets completely closed for no reason and stops collecting your usage details, which makes the app useless. But also a lot of calendar notification will not popup.

I'm almost certain it's an Android issue in general. I've saw it pop up on all different devices.

mazdamiata210

Apr 8, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
"Nope all that is set to the right (default) settings."

Default settings = not the way to go when having notification problems :good:

Clearly you didn't read what I said...

He said:

"Go to settings>battery>battery optimization> top right 3 dots>advance optimization

Is this turned on?

Or perhaps it's an issue with deep clear. You may have it on. Settings>advance>recent app management> select normal clear."

To which my response was "Nope all that is set to the right (default) settings." Which means the settings he suggested be turned on/off are the DEFAULT settings... Thus, default = right.

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar
Optimization on = wrong.

But, as everything apparently is set correctly (hence the whole thread is useless) it does not make any difference anyway :good:

rappa619

Jan 21, 2012
Do this for apps that you want the notifications instantly.

Screenshot_20171225-011640.jpg

rappa619

Jan 21, 2012
This didn't work for me, yesterday I added MyDataManager to the Don't optimise apps but today the app stopped working again without any reason.
2l9td2w.jpg

How about that email app that you use, is that getting the email notifications on time? Also what type of notifications does the data manager app send?

rmaathuis

Feb 4, 2011
How about that email app that you use, is that getting the email notifications on time? Also what type of notifications does the data manager app send?
Yes, the email app gets the notifications in time (but I did not add that app to the don't optimise category myself).
The data manager app uses a continuous notification:
2eyi2wn.jpg

But it disappears every couple of hours without a reason and than doesn't count my data usage anymore.
On my OnePlus One I never had any problem with that app. That started when I got the OP5 and now also on the 5t.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is this turned on?

I'm currently using a 5T and as much as I love the phone and don't want to go back to my 2 year old laggy, stuttery, iPhone 6S Plus... I'm having a major issue with notifications not coming through. I only use a handful of apps, and a lot of them aren't getting important notifications that I need to be on time. I had this problem with the Note 8 I returned also.

It seems like Android now puts your apps into such a deep sleep mode that they no longer function. I think a core app, like Gmail, should be able to get an email on time. I tried turning off battery optimizations for each app. It didn't matter, and Gmail isn't even in the list of apps to turn off anyway. Also went into developer options and turned off "Doze mode" which seemed to help, but not completely fix the problem. Before it was 90% chance of no notification and with doze mode off it's about 50/50. Still not acceptable, and my iPhone sitting right next to it signed into the same accounts/apps on the same wifi network get every notification right on time.

This isn't a OnePlus issue, more of an Android issue since the same apps aren't working on here like they did on the Note 8. Pretty sure it has to do with the new "Doze" feature baked into the OS. A simple google search actually pulled up tons of posts about this same issue since Marshmellow, and now again in Nougat. Alot of the results came from OnePlus forums also. Some being from Google about Nexus devices.

Gmail is a big one. Discord is another big one, and unlike the rest which will load your missed notifications, Discord just shows nothing until you go in the app and have all your missed notifications.

Other than that MAJOR problem, I'm loving this phone and actually dreading the day I have to go back to iOS after using it for 10 years.

Any suggestions?

Happened on 4.7.2, 4.7.4, 4.7.5 completely stock with a factory reset between each update.
    does this only happen on wifi or you have this problem on data too? how long after you switch off the screen notifications stop working?