FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Camera ported app on OP5T

1,681 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,483

By titooo7, Senior Member on 21st November 2017, 11:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As some of you know the Google Camera app with HDR On is great to shot low light pictures. However OP5 users as myself aren’t as lucky when using the modded Google Camera app as as users from other devices.
With OP5 we have bugs that seem to be applicable only to our case: touch to focus not working along HDR & dots pattern issue visible when you zoom in certain pictures shot with the modded camera.

Therefore I would like to ask for a favor to the first OP5T owners:
  1. Download and install this modded camera app (I pick this version because it’s simple without tons of settings)
  2. Test if touch to focus work when HDR is enabled and if the picture is saved (do not confuse touch to focus with touch to change main point of exposure)
  3. Shot some pictures with low light
  4. Feedback in this thread
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to titooo7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift titooo7 Ad-Free

21st November 2017, 12:00 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

Donate to Me
More
If someone want to try one of the last versions of the app, then you can download it from here (shout out to Kisakuku).

The last modded version as per today 21st November is "MGC_5.1.016_7.0+C2API_v.1.3a_AllinOne.apk", but as I said the new new versions contain lot of settings that make it really time consuming to find the appropriate ones for each device.

That’s why in the OP I posted just the last version of Google Camera app with the minimum edits needed to get the HDR feature working on any Android 7.1.1 / Snapdragon 835 phones.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titooo7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift titooo7 Ad-Free
21st November 2017, 10:26 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Yeah I dl "MGC_5.1.016_7.0+C2API_v.1.3a_AllinOne.apk"
No working focus touch
The picture is saved
They both seem pretty bad but I'm not an expert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171121_230840_OOS.jpg
Views:	45904
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	4338831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171121_230929_MGC.jpg
Views:	45690
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	4338832  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wilux For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wilux Ad-Free
22nd November 2017, 10:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilux

Yeah I dl "MGC_5.1.016_7.0+C2API_v.1.3a_AllinOne.apk"
No working focus touch
The picture is saved
They both seem pretty bad but I'm not an expert.

Are those 2 pictures that you uploaded shot with HDR On? Which settings are you using?
In OP5 depending on the combination of settings used in the app touch to focus can work or not work, but usually it’s hit and miss so it can stop working randomly.

Do you notice small dots when you zoom in on the pictures shot with GoogleCam and HDR On?

I just would like to know if OP5T has the same bugs with the ported GoogleCam has the same bugs that we have on OP5.
22nd November 2017, 12:05 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3,691

More
To make it more clear on which version and settings to use:

Please test this most recent version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=149...jbivKF5PiWtkT9

with these settings from the screenshots: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1215

In "Advanced" settings, enable HDR+ control right at the top!

Afterwards restart the camera app (completely swipe it away from recent apps), restart it and set the HDR+ toggle to "HDR+ Enhanced".

It is also important to get some shots in daylight, as the OP5 had issues with a constantly visible dot pattern in light areas.
Also please do not upload the shots directly through the forum, as they get downsampled and compressed. Use an imagehoster like abload.de for example, or even Google Photos.

Of course it is even better to additionally post a similar shot you took with the stock camera app, so we get a better picture of how this mod works on the OP5T.

Thanks for testing!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AcmE85 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AcmE85 Ad-Free
22nd November 2017, 02:23 PM |#6  
Flag Indore
Thanks Meter: 444

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by titooo7

As some of you know the Google Camera app with HDR On is great to shot low light pictures. However OP5 users as myself aren’t as lucky when using the modded Google Camera app as as users from other devices.
With OP5 we have bugs that seem to be applicable only to our case: touch to focus not working along HDR & dots pattern issue visible when you zoom in certain pictures shot with the modded camera.

Therefore I would like to ask for a favor to the first OP5T owners:
Download and install this modded camera app (I pick this version because it’s simple without tons of settings)
Test if touch to focus work when HDR is enabled and if the picture is saved (do not confuse touch to focus with touch to change main point of exposure)
Shot some pictures with low light
Feedback in this thread

Just got op5t
as u already in action here
22nd November 2017, 03:03 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit jat

Just got op5t
as u already in action here

Waiting for your feedback mate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titooo7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift titooo7 Ad-Free
22nd November 2017, 04:44 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Posting a couple of pics taken from the 5T using the default camera app vs the latest GCMod app with the recommended settings. Just a single light source in the room. I'll try in the daylight tomorrow
Stock App:
Stock App
GCMod 5:
GCMod 5
22nd November 2017, 05:12 PM |#9  
Flag Ljubljana
Thanks Meter: 63

Donate to Me
More
How about video? 1080/60 and 4k
22nd November 2017, 05:36 PM |#10  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 172

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randumbore

Posting a couple of pics taken from the 5T using the default camera app vs the latest GCMod app with the recommended settings. Just a single light source in the room. I'll try in the daylight tomorrow
Stock App:

Stock App

GCMod 5:
GCMod 5

Seems gcam's got a tendency towards a cooler white balance..same thing happens on the Essential phone. Which would you say best matches reality, color-wise?
The Following User Says Thank You to KERKEDAGAIN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KERKEDAGAIN Ad-Free
22nd November 2017, 06:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I don't know about color but the OP is suffering from pretty major loss in detail. There's a couple of spots of light creeping through that's clearly visible in the GCam but not so much in the OP. The OP is also suffering from a lot of graininess... the top left corner next to the suitcase is a good example.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)