FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 Development Program

Official OnePlus 6 Tempered Glass Protector. How does it Fare?

3,147 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,511
 
By sn0warmy, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 24th May 2018, 04:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Now that people are starting to receive their phones and accessories from OnePlus, I am very curious to hear people's thoughts on the official tempered glass protector offered from OnePlus.

Specifically, how does it fit with the OEM cases OnePlus offers. Most importantly, does it fit with the thicker OnePlus Bumper cases?

The good news, according to OnePlus's official install video posted on their website, it does look like it fully adheres to the screen.
https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-6-3d...reen-protector

Looking forward to feedback before I place an order for one to potentially replace the pre-applied plastic screen protector.
 
 
24th May 2018, 04:20 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 91
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy

Now that people are starting to receive their phones and accessories from OnePlus, I am very curious to hear people's thoughts on the official tempered glass protector offered from OnePlus.

Specifically, how does it fit with the OEM cases OnePlus offers. Most importantly, does it fit with the thicker OnePlus Bumper cases?

The good news, according to OnePlus's official install video posted on their website, it does look like it fully adheres to the screen.
https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-6-3d...reen-protector

Looking forward to feedback before I place an order for one to potentially replace the pre-applied plastic screen protector.

I don't get my phone until later today, so I can not confirm until then. But the two different customer service reps I talked to guaranteed the TGP works with the OEM bumper cases. They said the only case it isn't compatible with is the outterbox case.
24th May 2018, 04:21 PM |#3  
sn0warmy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,511
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprstar29

I don't get my phone until later today, so I can not confirm until then. But the two different customer service reps I talked to guaranteed the TGP works with the OEM bumper cases. They said the only case it isn't compatible with is the outterbox case.

Looking forward to your results! If it does fit with the OEM bumper case (specifically the Nylon bumper case for me) I'll use my $20 promo voucher to order the glass protector as well.
24th May 2018, 06:16 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 285
 
Donate to Me
More
I will say the preapplied plasic protector surprised me.wkth how good it feels. I usually do a glass protector but once I get my I will probably leave the plasitc on to see how it wears. Be good for the long term review since most on even know it's there at first

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
24th May 2018, 10:00 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 166
 
More
Here take a look at this. I''ve just posted it to the official forums to I'll C+P here;

----

Hi all,

Hope you've not forgotten me! I'm back. I went down to the London launch as I was super excited to see the OnePlus 6 in person and I've now got my hands on the phone and the official tempered glass. So as I have done every year, I'm going to be testing out as many accessories that I can get my hands on, starting with the Official Tempered Glass Screen Protector!

Feel free to watch the video to get all this information, or just scroll down and read it if you prefer!



Some of you wonder why take of the pre-applied factory screen? Well for me, it's all about finding the best protection for your device and from experience the pre-applied screen is not that. It's a nice bonus, as if you're not buying the official you'll have to wait around a week or so before third party manufacturers get screens ready for sale. Mine was also riding slightly high on the screen, which meant using it whilst having gestures turned on was a bit of a nightmare.

As usual the screen protector, comes well packaged, with some excellent tools- most of which you won't need if you're taking the pre-applied screen off and then putting this one on straight away.

The screen protector as with the last few years comes on a single slab of plastic/glass, which you will need to be careful off when you're removing the screen protector from it. I've seen many people CRACK their screen protector at this point. Don't be that person! Go slow, but surely. And for goodness sake once you've peeled it off, don't turn it around and let all the dust particles in your house get on it!

The screen protector fits nicely on the phone and feels pretty decent. High quality!

Postives -
- Feels good
- Looks good
- Fits with the free case

Negatives -

- Finger print magnet - seriously, had it on for a few minutes and it was covered.
- Still has the black border, so you DO still get a 3D effect where you're missing an (admittedly small) portion of your screen
- Hardest OP screen protector I've ever put on.

Let me know if you have any questions on it, and I'll endeavor to keep you all updated on how it functions!

Thanks!
25th May 2018, 12:45 AM |#6  
sn0warmy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,511
 
More
^ Dang! I can't believe how difficult it was for him to remove the bubbles with that protector. And in the end it still had a bubble that kept returning. This sure did make me glad I opted not to pay extra for that tempered glass protector. It's almost as if it doesn't have strong enough adhesive.

Regardless, I plan on sticking with the pre-applied screen protector for a bit before making a decision on a glass protector. In fact, if the pre-applied protector holds up well, I may not ever bother taking it off. I must say that it would be really nice to finally get a phone and never even worry about spending money on a screen protector, or trying to perfectly apply one, for that matter.

I just hope my pre-applied protector isn't positioned too high, as the above video reviewer mentioned his was.
The Following User Says Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sn0warmy Ad-Free
25th May 2018, 07:29 AM |#7  
=dave='s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 132
 
More
unfortunately my preapplied screen protector is a tiny bit too high for my taste too, so when swiping up with gestures enabled you can feel the slight edge :/

I really hope whitedome is going to bring a TGSP for the OP6 on the market
25th May 2018, 09:41 AM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by niijonodhg

Here take a look at this. I''ve just posted it to the official forums to I'll C+P here;

----

Hi all,

Hope you've not forgotten me! I'm back. I went down to the London launch as I was super excited to see the OnePlus 6 in person and I've now got my hands on the phone and the official tempered glass. So as I have done every year, I'm going to be testing out as many accessories that I can get my hands on, starting with the Official Tempered Glass Screen Protector!

Feel free to watch the video to get all this information, or just scroll down and read it if you prefer!



Some of you wonder why take of the pre-applied factory screen? Well for me, it's all about finding the best protection for your device and from experience the pre-applied screen is not that. It's a nice bonus, as if you're not buying the official you'll have to wait around a week or so before third party manufacturers get screens ready for sale. Mine was also riding slightly high on the screen, which meant using it whilst having gestures turned on was a bit of a nightmare.

As usual the screen protector, comes well packaged, with some excellent tools- most of which you won't need if you're taking the pre-applied screen off and then putting this one on straight away.

The screen protector as with the last few years comes on a single slab of plastic/glass, which you will need to be careful off when you're removing the screen protector from it. I've seen many people CRACK their screen protector at this point. Don't be that person! Go slow, but surely. And for goodness sake once you've peeled it off, don't turn it around and let all the dust particles in your house get on it!

The screen protector fits nicely on the phone and feels pretty decent. High quality!

Postives -
- Feels good
- Looks good
- Fits with the free case

Negatives -

- Finger print magnet - seriously, had it on for a few minutes and it was covered.
- Still has the black border, so you DO still get a 3D effect where you're missing an (admittedly small) portion of your screen
- Hardest OP screen protector I've ever put on.

Let me know if you have any questions on it, and I'll endeavor to keep you all updated on how it functions!

Thanks!

Thanks for this! Your videos are always great when it comes to these things. Keep up the great work!

Do you think the bit the pops up might simply be just because of the curvature of the screen towards the corner?

(curved screened phones are always a nightmare when it comes to putting screen protectors on). If the underside of the screen protector is curved aswell in order to fit the curved screen of the device, even a fraction of difference can cause these kinds of problems, whereas flat ones you can even get away with them positioned slightly off, and they will always sit down perfectly flat.

Can you confirm whether the curvature of the OnePlus 6's screen is just around the edges, or is it the whole of the front that is actually curved?
(If you see what I mean).

I could be wrong, but from what I can see on the video, it does almost look like it's the whole screen that is rounded and not just the edges (but it's hard to tell from a video, so can't know for sure)
25th May 2018, 04:51 PM |#9  
jlczl's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 337
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy

^ Dang! I can't believe how difficult it was for him to remove the bubbles with that protector. And in the end it still had a bubble that kept returning. This sure did make me glad I opted not to pay extra for that tempered glass protector. It's almost as if it doesn't have strong enough adhesive.

Regardless, I plan on sticking with the pre-applied screen protector for a bit before making a decision on a glass protector. In fact, if the pre-applied protector holds up well, I may not ever bother taking it off. I must say that it would be really nice to finally get a phone and never even worry about spending money on a screen protector, or trying to perfectly apply one, for that matter.

I just hope my pre-applied protector isn't positioned too high, as the above video reviewer mentioned his was.

My pre-applied protector only lasted an hour on mine. The edges don't stick enough to avoid random lint and dust from sliding just a bit underneath it. Also the swipe up gestures from the bottom of the phone feel weird as you bump the protector. I'm not sure but I think it's because the protector is a bit thick.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
25th May 2018, 04:55 PM |#10  
sn0warmy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,511
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlczl

My pre-applied protector only lasted an hour on mine. The edges don't stick enough to avoid random lint and dust from sliding just a bit underneath it. Also the swipe up gestures from the bottom of the phone feel weird as you bump the protector. I'm not sure but I think it's because the protector is a bit thick.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

That’s a shame. My phone arrives today and we leave for Mexico tomorrow for a week. I was hoping the pre-applied protector would be perfect. The edges of it are probably going to look like garbage by the time we get back.
25th May 2018, 05:43 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
the protective film, can not attach clean and then Euro 22, so I can not recommend. Shade for the money
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes