Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the OnePlus 6. While I am not a super star kernel developer, I do know my way around it. My philosophy on kernels is pretty simple:
- Follow stable Linux always. Updates will be delivered within 24 hours of their release to kernel.org.
- Stable kernel rules work best (only add small things when possible).
- Security and stability are paramount. Vulnerabilities are patched as soon as they are disclosed.
- Features will be added only as needed (I have a list of things in the FAQ I will NOT add, even if requested).
Important thread information!
- I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this.
- Keep things civil, I do NOT tolerate flaming of any kind.
- OT is allowed.
Here are the major features of the kernel (feel free to explore Github)
- Up to date with OxygenOS 5.1.8
- Up to date with the latest stable Linux version (4.9.109)
- Power efficient workqueues enabled by default
- Westwood as the default congestion algorithm
- Latest WireGuard snapshot (0.0.20180613)
- The following user facing features:
- Dynamic sched tune boost
- Minimum backlight control
- Sound control
- Wake gestures (thanks to @flar2)
- Wakelock control
- Vibration control
- Built with a self compiled Clang 7.0 toolchain with a local initialization sanitizer
- Hides bootloader unlock from SafetyNet (can still fail through other means)
- Available to flash with AnyKernel2 (thanks to @osm0sis)
- alpha: Very likely broken or contains highly experimental patches; should only be run if you want to be a part of cutting edge development
- beta: Normal testing build; bootable and has no immediate issue.
- rc: Same as a beta but has had no issues for at least three days. I recommend running these when they are out as they will be pushed to the stable folder after a few days.
- stable: Same as rc but has had no issues for at least three days. If you are unsure which one to run, just use this one.
- archive: Old stable kernels
All issues with any build other than a stable build MUST be reported via Telegram. I keep my development out in the open but I don't let it cross over onto XDA. I do recommend participating as I am quicker to fix issues if I have multiple people testing. I request that you do not mirror my kernels. If the primary site is down, please use the mirror. Navigate to the file you want and click the download button. If you are mobile, tell GitHub to use the desktop version. I don't need posts telling me the primary site is down, it's my build server so I'll know if it is down. Thanks!
NOTE: These sets of steps should work for both initial installations and upgrades. All sane kernels on this device are just replacing the kernel image and maybe adding some cmdline parameters, which this kernel won't care about. If there are ANY issues after flashing this kernel over another, be sure to flash the stock boot image for your ROM, TWRP + Magisk if you want them, then the kernel before reporting any issues.
See their instructions for further information, you can install the kernel with TWRP temporarily booted or permanently installed.
- Boot into TWRP.
- Flash the zip (flashing Magisk is not necessary if you already have it installed).
- Reboot and enjoy!
Through Franco Kernel Manager (requires root):
If you are not on the Flash Kernel channel, go to Options, select "Channel for Kernel updates", choose "Flash Kernel", then go back to "Kernel flasher".
- Tap on "Get Flash Kernel"
- Tap on "Auto-flash"
- Your phone should reboot automatically!
Test build (alpha/beta/rc):
- Download the zip (and optionally, the md5) from my server
- Tap on "Manual flasher"
- Navigate to Download
- Tap on the zip, select Auto-flash, and choose one of the options.
- Reboot and enjoy!
Latest release post!
Frequently asked questions
1.1 Q: I am having an issue, can you help me?
1.1 A: I am not an amazing kernel developer but I will certainly try my best. First, start by reading the release posts, as I may make note of a particular issue. Also search the thread to see if I have discussed it before. If you see nothing, please provide me with a dmesg/last_kmsg and logcat, your ROM/kernel version, and a detailed description of the issue, following this guide. If I can't reproduce reliably, I'm not going to fix the issue.
1.2 Q: Can you add xyz feature?
1.2 A: If you link me the commits or tell me what kernel you had the feature in, I can take a look at them. I will not go digging super hard for commits and I will ignore requests that don't include this information. I won't promise that I will merge every request but I will always take it into consideration. I will NOT add the following:
- Overclocking or underclocking of CPU or GPU
- Any governors other than schedutil
- Any schedulers other than cfq
- Anything that compromises performance
1.3 Q: How do I control the kernel?
1.3 A: To be honest, there isn't much to tune here. However, I'd recommend using @flar2's EX Kernel Manager as it is the best designed kernel manager around.
1.4 Q: OMFG MY BATTERY SUXXXX PLS FIX!!!
1.4 A: The kernel doesn't drain any battery, use an app like BetterBatteryStats to figure out what app is screwing with your phone.
OnePlus for the device through their developer program
The various other developers for their patches (specifically @zx2c4 for WireGuard)
@osm0sis for AnyKernel2
@phantom146 for the thread banner
All of you guys for viewing the thread
A note about donations
Quite a few people have asked to donate to me in the past and I have turned them down. I am not in this for the money, this is my hobby, something I truly enjoy. If you truly want to donate to something (it is not expected in the slightest), I recommend an entity like the Open Source Initiative, the Free Software Foundation, XDA, or any one of the people I have thanked in the OP. Additionally, you are free to copy any and all of my work; the only thing I request is that you not ask for donations as well (though I can't really enforce this lol). Thank you.
Kernel source links
8.1.0 (OxygenOS 5.1.5+): https://github.com/nathanchance/op6/tree/8.1.0
DISCLAIMER: I openly welcome off topic in my threads. Mods, please do not clean off topic discussion and users, do not complain about off topic discussion here. I may direct you to another thread if it is so suited but I won't have the discussion cleaned. Thank you.