FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

6gb vs 8gb for better battery life (based on op5t experience)?

207 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By varignet, Senior Member on 18th May 2018, 04:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was wondering for light to moderate use which model between the 6gb and 8gb do you think would be more taxing on battery.

I'm assuming I would likely never fill 6gb as I close apps when not in use and only use a handful anyway.

What are your thoughts?

18th May 2018, 08:01 PM |#2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 573

More
I'm no developer but if I had to guess, I don't think the difference in RAM has any effect on battery life. If it does, I'm sure it's so little it would be impossible to notice. Anyone who is more knowledgeable than me on this, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
20th May 2018, 01:26 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by varignet

I was wondering for light to moderate use which model between the 6gb and 8gb do you think would be more taxing on battery.

I'm assuming I would likely never fill 6gb as I close apps when not in use and only use a handful anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Good question ! I was also wondering the same thing. Logically speaking there should be a difference but only significant if there are less physical chips on board for the 6GB model. I am very much inclined to order the 6GB model for a bit better battery life - 64GB of storage is plenty for me anyway.
20th May 2018, 08:09 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cst79

Good question ! I was also wondering the same thing. Logically speaking there should be a difference but only significant if there are less physical chips on board for the 6GB model. I am very much inclined to order the 6GB model for a bit better battery life - 64GB of storage is plenty for me anyway.

Thing is, just like with flash storage, the controller and actual configuration of the chips will make power consumption vary wildly. We don't know the clock speed of the LPDDR4X RAM they are using, maybe it's different between the 6 and 8gb version.

Same as with the NAND chips, many factors have an influence on the electrical consumption and maybe they tweaked the 128 and 256gb version to be more energy conservative at the cost of speed.... speed that may be regained due to the fact that NAND arrays/strings are faster when there are more cells in them.

Then there's the use-case... IF the 8GB version has worse energy consumption values, maybe it still has better battery life because it can store more apps in RAM and has less need to constantly access the flash memory ?

TL;DR : we can make hypothesis but in the end there's just too much we don't know to really say if one is more energy efficient than the other.
20th May 2018, 08:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 274

More
more goods is better always !!
now with 8gb ram I can open all my apps and keeps them opened all day which will stress less processor power and keep battery.
Also, I need as much as possible storage, 256gb is ok for now.
23rd May 2018, 12:39 AM |#6  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 188

More
We don't know how to get fine the kernel and OS for more ram, I would hope they would reduce compression so it strains the CPU less i.e. zram, or use the extra space to cache more things across the OS to keep things more consistent. I don't notice anymore apps open on the 8gb op6 Vs 6gb op5t.

In saying that my op6 has yet to use more than 5gb ram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180523-003742.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	4507555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180523-003815.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	4507556  
23rd May 2018, 02:20 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 370

More
ram uses the same power regardless
if the chip is the same - both use the same amount of power
only difference will be one can have more apps in memory than the other (assuming you can fill 6GB of ram... on a phone...)
other than that zero difference
2nd June 2018, 05:00 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Considering how experiences on the battery related threads seem to vary wildly, I wonder if this is the cause?

I was considering downgrading from an 8Gb version to 6Gb, but if I plan to keep this phone for a few years is it better to hold on to the 8Gb?

3Gb seemed like overkill when I first got my OPO but now it is less than some budget phones provide.
2nd June 2018, 05:16 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
My OP6 - 6Gb close Google Maps and Sportify with 2,1 GB free...

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6003 mediante Tapatalk
2nd June 2018, 09:32 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Nothing to do with battery life, but there seems to be some very aggressive ram management on the OP6 which affects the 6Gb version much more than the 8Gb: https://youtu.be/t5UEN2vpchQ

Maybe I will keep the 8Gb version after all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)