Install Oxygen OS on my OnePlus 6 bought in China

Search This thread

FrostLDeacon

Jun 7, 2010
Hi Guys,

I asked my colleague to buy me a OnePlus 6 from China. I just got the phone but realized that it's running on Hydrogen OS.
Is there any easy step-by-step guide on how to uninstall Hydrogen OS and replacing it with Oxygen OS?

To add to this, I have no experience in rooting any phone before or such technical stuff, so I would really appreciate if the guide is a "for Dummies" kind of guide.

Details: It's 8GB, 128GB version. I live in Sweden.

Many Thanks in advance!
- FLD

showgood163

Oct 9, 2015
OnePlus 6
First, download (latest) oxygen rom from this forum and copy the rom file into your phone
Then, in system, select 'setting'->'system update', then hit the setting button on the top right corner, select 'local update' and select the rom file
wait for it to finish and it's good to go

zSyntex

Forum Moderator
Sep 24, 2017
Bari, Apulia
OnePlus 12
Hi Guys,

I asked my colleague to buy me a OnePlus 6 from China. I just got the phone but realized that it's running on Hydrogen OS.
Is there any easy step-by-step guide on how to uninstall Hydrogen OS and replacing it with Oxygen OS?

To add to this, I have no experience in rooting any phone before or such technical stuff, so I would really appreciate if the guide is a "for Dummies" kind of guide.

Details: It's 8GB, 128GB version. I live in Sweden.

Many Thanks in advance!
- FLD
Of course, it's the same hardware (only change the FD-C band for 3G/4G). Flash via fastboot or TWRP the full .zip

FrostLDeacon

Jun 7, 2010
First, download (latest) oxygen rom from this forum and copy the rom file into your phone
Then, in system, select 'setting'->'system update', then hit the setting button on the top right corner, select 'local update' and select the rom file

Thanks a lot!

As mentioned, I'm really not very technical and would appreciate a more thourough explanation on what steps I need to take.
For instance, a link to the latest Oxygen OS would be very helpfull. Where exactly should I copy the file in the phone? Maybe it doens't matter? So it will just "override" the Hydrogen OS and no need for anything else? I mean, there will not be double OS's on the phone?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just very nervous about this.

Thanks!
- FLD

Reactions: soondin

showgood163

Oct 9, 2015
OnePlus 6
Thanks a lot!

As mentioned, I'm really not very technical and would appreciate a more thourough explanation on what steps I need to take.
For instance, a link to the latest Oxygen OS would be very helpfull. Where exactly should I copy the file in the phone? Maybe it doens't matter? So it will just "override" the Hydrogen OS and no need for anything else? I mean, there will not be double OS's on the phone?

Thanks!
- FLD

Sorry for the late reply.

First, download (latest) full oxygen rom from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76596831&postcount=2
it's a .zip file, you should copy the rom file into your phone
Then, in android system (not recovery/bootloader), go to 'settings'(of system)->'system updates', this is where h2os/o2os manages otas
then hit the setting button (looks like a gearwheel) on the top right corner, select 'local update' and select the full oxygen rom file
wait for it to finish, reboot and it's good to go

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Honestly, you should find a friend who has basic technical skills with Android and Flashing ROMS.

Making a mistake without understanding the foundational skills required, might cause your phone to be unusable. Some assume everyone has the skills needed and no offense, but you sound like you may not have the technical skills to be trying to switch from HOS to OOS. Trust me, if you're not sure, don't mess with it.

Last edited:

optionalmgrr.la

Sep 5, 2015

First, download (latest) full oxygen rom from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76596831&postcount=2
Then, in android system (not recovery/bootloader), go to 'settings'(of system)->'system updates', this is where h2os/o2os manages otas
then hit the setting button (looks like a gearwheel) on the top right corner, select 'local update' and select the full oxygen rom file

This procedure still valid today? THx!!!

BTW, heard google pay (not play) does not work after flashing international rom, is that true?

showgood163

Oct 9, 2015
OnePlus 6
This procedure still valid today? THx!!!

BTW, heard google pay (not play) does not work after flashing international rom, is that true?

Sorry, I just don't have the condition to test that. However, I think in this way you can get your phone on real O2OS, and if you apply another version of full OTA update of O2OS (like 9.0.2) the problem may be solved.

amaeli

Oct 9, 2010
I have buy an OP6 from china too "A6000" launched the OTA update 9.0.0 when it's released here in France, now my phone have OOS and all work fine. :good:

radeonxt

Jan 1, 2008
i ordered mine and hasn't arrived yet.
how does one know if it's china version or intl version?
is it on the about phone on settings menu?

laks_chai

Nov 30, 2018

Hello showgood163,

I've just bought Oneplus 6T in China.
Is this procedure will also work on Oneplus 6T ? I've found a youtube video telling that after installing the Oxygen OS, we must do factory reset. Is it really needed to do a factory reset?

In my case, my phone is brand new out of the box, and I want to change from Hydrogen OS to Oxygen OS. Should I use the local update method or installing it from Recovery Mode (by pressing power button and volume down button.

Thanks in advance! :)

showgood163

Oct 9, 2015
OnePlus 6
Hello showgood163,

I've just bought Oneplus 6T in China.
Is this procedure will also work on Oneplus 6T ? I've found a youtube video telling that after installing the Oxygen OS, we must do factory reset. Is it really needed to do a factory reset?

In my case, my phone is brand new out of the box, and I want to change from Hydrogen OS to Oxygen OS. Should I use the local update method or installing it from Recovery Mode (by pressing power button and volume down button.

Thanks in advance! :)

I don't have an Oneplus 6t so I can't test on that for now.
However, the rom you download from the official site is not compatible with 3rd party recovery, and there's no `install from` option in the official recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks a lot!

Thanks!
    - FLD

Thanks a lot!

Thanks!
    - FLD
    i ordered mine and hasn't arrived yet.
    how does one know if it's china version or intl version?
    is it on the about phone on settings menu?

if you go to device settings, there is model number.
    A6000 which is for the Asian markets and A6003 which is for US and EU.