[Newbie Question]TWRP gone after OTA update OSS 5.1.6

Search This thread

dRakeNNNN

Jun 4, 2018
I have an oneplus 6 with official OSS 5.1.5 and TWRP installed. But after OTA update my phone to OSS 5.1.6, i cannot boot to TWRP anymore. Is TWRP gone after OTA update? My OEM unlocking still unlocked.

cschmid44

Oct 4, 2013
I have an oneplus 6 with official OSS 5.1.5 and TWRP installed. But after OTA update my phone to OSS 5.1.6, i cannot boot to TWRP anymore. Is TWRP gone after OTA update? My OEM unlocking still unlocked.

Hi, just to clarify when you install an OTA on the oneplus 6 it uses the new partitioning system which is different so to remedy the situation just try reflashing TWRP enchilada installer using fastboot.

Reactions: dRakeNNNN

cschmid44

Oct 4, 2013
To fix it just download the official TWRP for oneplus 6 from the official team win recovery project page and then you put that on your phone, and flash using your currently installed TWRP then after that make sure you also install the root package as installing the new version of TWRP will modify the new boot image, Also a good time to mention that it will install in both slots (Seamless update slots) Treble slots if you will just to be aware.

dRakeNNNN

Jun 4, 2018
To fix it just download the official TWRP for oneplus 6 from the official team win recovery project page and then you put that on your phone, and flash using your currently installed TWRP then after that make sure you also install the root package as installing the new version of TWRP will modify the new boot image, Also a good time to mention that it will install in both slots (Seamless update slots) Treble slots if you will just to be aware.

Thank you for your reply, but my problem is i cannot boot into TWRP after OTA upgrade my OSS from 5.1.5 to 5.1.6 :D

x111

Jul 3, 2009
that's would be great if twrp can be flashed and stays there without wiping as well as root.

MuttleyMB

Mar 23, 2017
Monza

Wait!
Don't install 5.1.6 ROM because OP has retired it. The last version availabe on OP site is the 5.1.5.

iElvis

May 24, 2012
Modville
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank you for your reply, but my problem is i cannot boot into TWRP after OTA upgrade my OSS from 5.1.5 to 5.1.6 :D

You can't boot into twrp because it's not there anymore. The OTA created a completely stock version of the OS that you're now booted on. You need to reinstall twrp and magisk according to the posted guides. This is going to be the case with all OTAs. The stock updater looks for root, and when it's there, it installs a complete OS, not an incremental update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have u not read anything in these forums, tutorials or anything?

There are like 50 threads on how to upgrade and about the new partitions for op6, it is even clear when u installed twrp too

You can't boot into twrp because it's not there anymore. The OTA created a completely stock version of the OS that you're now booted on. You need to reinstall twrp and magisk according to the posted guides. This is going to be the case with all OTAs. The stock updater looks for root, and when it's there, it installs a complete OS, not an incremental update.

Hi, just to clarify when you install an OTA on the oneplus 6 it uses the new partitioning system which is different so to remedy the situation just try reflashing TWRP enchilada installer using fastboot.
    Just follow one of the many upgrade guides. Skip the part about upgrading to 5.1.6 but for the rest follow the steps exactly. No need to explain all this in yet another thread imo. You'll need a pc though.