FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Torn between the Oneplus 6 and Huawei P20 pro

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Andyfox10, Junior Member on 27th June 2018, 10:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello

I have a 2.5 year old Nexus 5x and am seriously thinking about getting a new phone. I've narrowed it down to two choices.

The Oneplus 6 (8gb/128gb) that I could get for around 550€ with the student discount. The phone is everything I ever wished for, except for the camera, which I fear might be a downgrade from Nexus 5x and the not so good customer service.

The other one is Huawei p20 pro, which I could get for 570€ from my carrier. It is a great phone, but I really dislike the EMUI. I was not very impressed with the camera (I've seen some mixed reviews from people). Hardware is amazing, but I really dislike their postprocessing (the oversharpening and oversaturated colours) and I've read that gcam port is probably unlikely because of the Kirin processor. I also don't know how Huawei phones hold out long term (speed, lagging, software updates...).

I plan to keep the phone for 2-3 years. Things that are important to me are stock software and I also want a good camera (at least on par with my nexus 5x). I don't game and I mostly use the phone for calling, texting, listening to music, taking pictures and browsing the internet. It is important to me that the phone stays fast and doesn't lag throught it's lifetime and that it gets enough software updates.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: Decided to go with the Oneplus 6. Thank you all for your answers!
27th June 2018, 11:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
I'm having both of them, and boy.. You can't imagine how much I hate EMUI. It's a nice phone, I rly like the Twilight color with the Black frame (switched the Backcover) but it's a pain to flash, stock EMUI looks like **** and overall I'm just enjoying my OP6 way more then I do the P20 Pro. The Camera ain't that bad, but compared to the P20 Pro it's quality is just poor. But that's a thing I can safely survive with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Savoury For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Savoury Ad-Free
27th June 2018, 11:36 PM |#3  
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 757

More
Had a P10 Pro and EMUI is simply horrible. I put it up against my 5t and the 5t won. I also recall reading that they no longer allow you to get an unlock code for the bootloader.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike02z Ad-Free
27th June 2018, 11:46 PM |#4  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 508

More
I have both devices as well. The camera on the p20 pro is definitely knock out, but if you value software experience at all, you'll hate it. EMUI is a clunky mess. Updating the device is a pain, it's really heavy handed with closing background apps (Android messages for web won't run consistently, for example) and in general, it's ugly imo.

I carry the oneplus 6 each day because I enjoy using it. I have been switching sims each weekend when I value pictures of my kids, etc. Ultimately, it'll find it's way to eBay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goronok For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Goronok Ad-Free
28th June 2018, 12:51 AM |#5  
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 757

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goronok

Ultimately, it'll find it's way to eBay.

Try selling on Swappa. I've sold 6 phones though them in the last year and much better than eBay. I think I sold every one of my phones in less than a week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike02z Ad-Free
28th June 2018, 04:20 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 271

More
Emui is not the end of the world. If you dislike it I would pick the OnePlus device. Btoh have pros and cons though. Huawei latest flagships don't have the slowdown like samsungs. So you can get the bells and whistles plus a consistent experience. Most importantly comparable battery with all the extras.

Like most Chinese oem's they all want to be apple/Samsung.

OnePlus is stockksh on a 1080p panel with the best hardware a available. So of course it's fast. Average device across the board. Biggest pro is extra hour of sot vs most phones(heavy user). Root and dev community.

Huawei will not be giving out bootloader codes after July(google actual date) but stock Android is available for a good majority of devices if interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to intruda119 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift intruda119 Ad-Free
28th June 2018, 05:15 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 616

More
op6 > p20 pro
my p20 pro got sluggish AF a month after usage.
op6 remains fast as day 1
The Following User Says Thank You to virtyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift virtyx Ad-Free
28th June 2018, 11:52 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,513

More
I've seen videos of severe scrolling lag in basic apps like contacts on p20. It seems like EMUI has some issues it needs to work out first.

I just sold my p20 after using it for just a few hours LTE speeds were slower (55mpbs vs OP6 pulling 78mbps). As well as a bug utilizing the navbar on the device was buggy. When you enable navbar, it doesn't disable the fingerprint sensor from acting like a home button....so you have two home buttons side by side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ascertion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ascertion Ad-Free
29th June 2018, 09:31 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I would like to add that the costumer service is incredible (at least if you are a European citizen). I was never a fan of Samsung's/Huaweis aftersale support since it took me once 3 weeks to change the display of an SG S6.

Changing the display and the back cover of the OP3 costed me approximately 130€ with free DHL Express shipping. It took 3 working days until it was in GER again. I shipped it on Monday(early) and received the repaired smartphone on Wednesday evening (express courier).

For the software part: You will have 2 major updates and 36 months security updates (check your for reference: https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.xda-...-schedule/amp/ )

Google port and custom roms is a big plus for the OP6. Camera is more then decent, it won't produce pictures like the Pixel 2, but the white balance / colour profile is pretty good ( maybe a bit to satured reds/orange - if you want to be very picky).

Overall i would go for the OP6 anytime.
The Following User Says Thank You to Principiis obsta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Principiis obsta Ad-Free
29th June 2018, 09:54 AM |#10  
Flag Dorset, UK
Thanks Meter: 136

More
I've owned a Huawei Mate 9 Pro, an Huawei Mate 10 and an Honor View 10. This must tell you that EMUI isn't as bad as all that. It isn't really.

The cameras and the camera software are outstanding. They even put my current Samsung S9+ to shame.

My concerns were :

Software updates - not too frequent, plus they like to 'authorise' a device for an update. Unlike OP where you can just use a VPN and get the update regardless of where you are, here you have to wait for authorisation or 'pay' and get the update from Funky Huawei.

I found on occasion, that despite some settings, things like some background apps were being killed or frozen. Stuff like Android Wear or the ThreeInTouch Wifi app. Some widgets wouldn't update. I don't think, going forward that Huawei are going to let you unlock bootloaders.

If you value a simpler OS that is updated and easy to root, unlock the bootloader and camera is secondary - get the OP.
If you adore having excellent photos, then get the P20 Pro - you won't regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to white43 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift white43 Ad-Free
29th June 2018, 03:31 PM |#11  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 58

More
If the only thing concerning you about the OP6 is the camera (in comparison to 5X) - having both devices I can reassure you OP6 camera is miles better than Nexus 5X. And I wouldn't suggest buying Huawei to anyone. I think the oneplus offers the most nexus like software experience between all the OEM's right now
The Following User Says Thank You to NForce25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NForce25 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)