FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Warning & Unexpected Loss Of Warranty For Many !

8,373 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,477

By magnamentis, Senior Member on 6th July 2018, 11:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
i just want to inform anyone who bought his phone via Amazon, even at normal price and on release day like myself, will not have warranty, even though EU law strictly says that there is a minimum 6 month manufacturer's warranty that is mandatory. today i received this quoted text from after sales after they already approved my case as production error:

Good day!
Jin here. Thank you for reaching back to us.
I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your OnePlus phone. We have already approved your service request. Our Service Center has sent you the shipping label, and DHL will come over to pick-up your parcel very soon.
About the warranty, although you bought your phone from the Amazon website, we would like to inform you that we only cover the warranty for the OnePlus products which are bought from our authorize/official resellers, or from our official OnePlus website.
After a thorouh review, the purchase you made from Amazon is not an official reseller of OnePlus. Thus, the next repair of your phone will require a payment.
Because the final price is depending on multiple factors:
1. Cost of spare parts
2. Tax
3. Shipping
4. Handling Fee
We are unable to provide an accurate number on the repair fee. The final repair fee will be given upon arrival and inspection at our service provider.
END QUOTE

for this i don't have to copy my data over hours to have a backup and be 10 days or more without my device, without knowing the price beforehand (vibration motor replacement should be possible to predict at least roughly)
i shall order and pay the motor with my local repair shop of my trust and have the device back within the hour and fully working for probably less money.
i just want everyone to know about this "questionable" business conduct and what to expect.
i shall copy paste this in various forums like XDA, REDDIT etc.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to magnamentis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnamentis Ad-Free

6th July 2018, 11:49 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Here is some info: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...q/index_en.htm

Under EU law you have to decide which warranty you want to invoke. In general your first contact should be the trader where you bought the phone, in your case Amazon.

Also, did you buy in a country where Amazon is the official partner of OnePlus or did you buy from a Amazon Marketplace trader?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BubiBalboa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BubiBalboa Ad-Free
6th July 2018, 12:06 PM |#3  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 421

More
Yeah, my first OnePlus device was the OP5 and I heard that last year. It's good to let people know from time to time but this is well known overall that OnePlus only warranties their phones purchased from their site (and don't know who is an authorized reseller). If you buy off Amazon then you need to get their protection plan if it's offered on the OnePlus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric214 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Eric214 Ad-Free
6th July 2018, 01:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Why didn't you just buy it from OnePlus directly to begin with? Save a few bucks? Lesson learned.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to techlogik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift techlogik Ad-Free
6th July 2018, 03:39 PM |#5  
Flag Near Donauwörth
Thanks Meter: 252

Donate to Me
More
OnePlus doenst have to cover your warranty, but amazon has to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matze19999 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matze19999 Ad-Free
6th July 2018, 04:05 PM |#6  
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 714

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik

Why didn't you just buy it from OnePlus directly to begin with? Save a few bucks? Lesson learned.

My assumption would be he may not live in a country where you can buy OnePlus. There is no other reason to purchase from Amazon IMHO. Their prices on phones are usually a LOT higher for phones that cannot be attained by folks in some countries.
6th July 2018, 05:17 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
If you bought it through Amazon and it came through Prime/FBA (regardless of who the seller was), call Amazon and have them replace it. They will cover the warranty. I've had Amazon replace a Nokia E63, LG G5, and LG V20 for me over the years. They have great customer service.
6th July 2018, 05:46 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Contact Amazon about warranty
The Following User Says Thank You to Httpskacper For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Httpskacper Ad-Free
6th July 2018, 06:28 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 897

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy52

If you bought it through Amazon and it came through Prime/FBA (regardless of who the seller was), call Amazon and have them replace it. They will cover the warranty. I've had Amazon replace a Nokia E63, LG G5, and LG V20 for me over the years. They have great customer service.

I've bought items before from Amazon and have been reffered back to the original company rather than Amazon replace it. It depends on the item.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
6th July 2018, 08:10 PM |#10  
Flag Monza
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy52

Recently, the Amazon support policy has changed. The article is replaced only if there is no authorized service center in the country of sale. Otherwise, Amazon will be responsible for following the entire repair process and the timing may be long.
6th July 2018, 10:56 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Al-Ándalus
Thanks Meter: 8,477

More
good feedback all

that was the intention.

mine i repaired myself for 40 ®uros, no big issue.

policies are one thing, legal stuff is something else again and then there is business ethics and acting agains expectations.

no-one who buys a device from a reputed website on release day would ever assume there is no warranty and if i buy a volkswagen it's not mandatory to read the volkswage website. my grandpa does not have a computer for example LOL and still wants to be covered.

however, what i wanted is to refresh memories, get a various useful feedback concentrated in little space and express my opinion that
this is not proper business attitude. they produce a phone, sell it in masses to resellers and later refuse to replace a part which they
confirm that it's hardware failure due to production error..

not everything that one can get away with or is legal is correct and i'm sure that many youngsters with no or small incomes or on pocket money can get themselves into serious trouble this way.

after all in my case it was only the vibes, but what if it's a mother board? full damage moneywise i'd say and this is why it's not
ok what and how they do it.

thanks to everyone for all the great feedbacks, perhaps some more is incoming so that the page or 2 will provide useful information for
as many as possible

cheers and a nice weekend @all
The Following User Says Thank You to magnamentis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift magnamentis Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
warranty

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)