FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

KERNEL] [LightningZap!-6/6T] [OOS 9.* / Pie Custom ROMs]

2,115 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,894

By thomas.raines, Recognized Developer on 5th October 2019, 04:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
What is LightningZap! kernel?
It is a lightweight, yet heavily tweaked and optimized kernel geared towards balancing performance and battery life.

Please read this ENTIRE post before downloading and flashing LightningZap! kernel.

Disclaimer: As with all custom kernels, you flash at your own risk. Always make a backup! I nor the associates of LightningZap! kernel, Teamfahq, or the testers group cannot and will not take responsibility for YOUR actions. I cannot always control what works and doesn't work with ROMs other than my own. If there is a bug, feel free to report it with logs, but note that the problem may be due to a conflict with coding int the ROM. If said condition exists, please discuss the concern with said ROM developer. If a bug condition does exist within the kernel and there is a known fix for said bug, please don't hesistate to link me to that fix. Make sure to give credit, thanks, and maybe even a cup of coffee to your developers. If you have a feature request, please feel free to share it as well.

Features:

• Based off ElementalX kernel by flar
  • blue_schedul governor from blue_spark kernel thanks to eng.st
  • Ondemand gov Optimized for better performance while maintaining battery life
  • FIOPS ioscheduler by default (suggest leavving it that way)
  • My insane readahead tweak **** In HDK-Mod kernel manager, it reports "Not in range." This is normal DO NOT adjust. My tweaks optimizes readahead per demand usage.****
  • LZ4 compression
  • O3 Optimizations
  • zram
  • lz-sysctl tweaks
  • Sound control (speaker, earpiece and mic)
  • Backlight min setting
  • Adjust or disable vibration
  • Advanced Color Control and K-Lapse
  • Block wakelocks
  • NTFS r/w, CIFS and NFS support
  • WireGuard support
  • Option to disable fsync
  • Pass SafetyNet
LightningZap! kernel will work on oneplus 6 and oneplus 6T on stock OOs and most custom roms. There are 2 versions, PIE and NDP.

Diferences
PIE was built for custom roms
STOCK was modified for stock OOS (Does not include commits to fix fps that custom roms need)

NDP was slightly modified for SkyDragonOs by removing wake gestures. Wake gestures are natviely written into SkyDragonOs (and maybe more roms).

I have not tested all roms to see what works and what doesn't. So, I would suggest trying PIE first. If wake gestures (like dt2w) do not work, try NDP. Feel free to report what rom and LightningZap! kernel version you are using.

Bug reporting is HIGHLY encouraged, but please accompany your reports with logs. I cannot do much to fix things without them. Pruning of the logs is deeply appreciated as well.

I feel that if you are here, you already know how to flash a custom kernel. If not, close this page and do some research about it first. This will not erase recovery or root when flashing. But, I would like to quote @eng.stk
Quote:

Warning: If you come from other kernel or have any issues, you should dirty flash your ROM before flashing LightningZap! zip to avoid problems.
Reflash ROM -> if you want root flash SuperSU or Magisk (default, no plugins/modules) -> flash LightningZap!.
If you are already rooted or upgrading between LightningZap! versions, just flash the kernel zip. Also uninstall or clean data of any kernel control app you're using.

Download links:

LightningZap! kernel PIE- Updated 10-07-2019
LightningZap! kernel NDP
LightningZap!-kernel-STOCK

Changelog

XDAevDB Information
LightningZap! kernel for OnePlus 6/6T

Special thanks to:
flar, eng.stk, HolyAngel Kernel Source: OnePlus6T-LZ

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.3
Stable Release Date: 10-05-2019
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2019, 04:09 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Hutto

Donate to Me
More
ROM tracker
Here I will post what version of LightningZap! kernel works with what ROMs. As well as any noted bugs with said rom.

PIE
Most custom roms

NDP
SkyDragonOs

Stock
Stock OOS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2019, 04:26 PM |#3  
Flag Zamora
Thanks Meter: 31

More
It sounds very interesting! But a doubt that not before the SkyDragon rom was running the HolyDragon kernel? This would be the evolution of that kernel?

It sounds very promising! As soon as possible I will try it!
5th October 2019, 04:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,280

More
Thank you man!!
5th October 2019, 05:18 PM |#5  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 557

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.raines

Here I will post what version of LightningZap! kernel works with what ROMs. As well as any noted bugs with said rom.

PIE
Stock OOS

NDP
SkyDragonOs

Thank you so much. Do you recommend sticking with schedutil, which is default I believe, or do you prefer Onedemand or Blu instead? Thanks again for the kernel, I'm checking it out now.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Everything seems great so far except one thing. Has anyone else noticed that their fingerprint sensor stopped working on OOS stable? Or could this just be a coincidence for me?
5th October 2019, 05:54 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano89

Thank you so much. Do you recommend sticking with schedutil, which is default I believe, or do you prefer Onedemand or Blu instead? Thanks again for the kernel, I'm checking it out now.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Everything seems great so far except one thing. Has anyone else noticed that their fingerprint sensor stopped working on OOS stable? Or could this just be a coincidence for me?

Isnt working for me either
The Following User Says Thank You to fosgate24360 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fosgate24360 Ad-Free
5th October 2019, 06:00 PM |#7  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 557

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosgate24360

Isnt working for me either

Yeah, I tried to reregister my FP but it won't let me.
5th October 2019, 10:40 PM |#8  
Flag Wilmington, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,303

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yeah, I tried to reregister my FP but it won't let me.

It's not going to work on OOS as he's got the FOD hacks required for functional fingerprint on custom ROMs. Doing this breaks fingerprint on OOS, and removing them will break it on custom ROMs. The only way to accommodate both currently is with two separate kernel variants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to return.of.octobot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift return.of.octobot Ad-Free
5th October 2019, 11:04 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 309

More
Great work Thomas
6th October 2019, 06:48 AM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Hutto

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle5

It sounds very interesting! But a doubt that not before the SkyDragon rom was running the HolyDragon kernel? This would be the evolution of that kernel?

Completely different kernel from HolyDragons.

Quote:

For governor, use whatever fits your needs the most. I recommend trying all 3 to see which on egives you the most performance and battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by return.of.octobot

It's not going to work on OOS as he's got the FOD hacks required for functional fingerprint on custom ROMs. Doing this breaks fingerprint on OOS, and removing them will break it on custom ROMs. The only way to accommodate both currently is with two separate kernel variants.

Yep... Accidentally merged those commits to the PIE branch. Running new build now. oops...
6th October 2019, 07:43 AM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Hutto

Donate to Me
More
PIE branch updated. Fingerprint should be fixed now.
The Following User Says Thank You to thomas.raines For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)