FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SIM unlock and Boot Loader unlock questions

827 posts
Thanks Meter: 263

By alfick3, Senior Member on 7th September 2019, 10:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello there, I'm in the process of learning about the 6T for a purchase probably in March of next year. I'm watching prices on Swappa for both the unlocked and the T-Mobile variant. I'm currently using the OP5, so I'm no stranger to OP and I'm currently using T-Mobile as my service provider. I'm trying to figure out if the T-Mobile version needs to be SIM unlocked in order to boot loader unlock it? Or can I BL unlock while it is SIM locked? Basically, I don't care if I have the T-Mobile version because I only need/use a single SIM so it doesn't have to be the dual SIM. However I do want to be able to BL unlock it so I can flash TWRP and custom ROMs. I did some searching around and found info about T-Mobile SIM unlocking and BL unlocking, but nothing specifically answering my question. Thanks in advance.

8th September 2019, 11:32 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 373

More
I believe the short answer is no. Either you have to sim unlock it to unlock the bootloader or they have to sim unlock it so you can get the unlock token from OnePlus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milly7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Milly7 Ad-Free
10th September 2019, 05:04 AM |#3  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 66,332

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfick3

I'm trying to figure out if the T-Mobile version needs to be SIM unlocked in order to boot loader unlock it? Or can I BL unlock while it is SIM locked?

Official answer is no, you cannot unlock the bootloader with a locked SIM.

The XDA answer is yes of course we can unlock your bootloader with a locked SIM. Its been a work around since the device came out on T-Mobile or shortly thereafter.

All of this info and more info can be found in the guide I wrote here: [T-Mobile / Guide] - Full SIM and Bootloader Unlock + Root for locked devices
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
10th September 2019, 04:02 PM |#4  
Elysium
Thanks Meter: 900

More
God Dammit are you are @Scott from the almighty N6???

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

Official answer is no, you cannot unlock the bootloader with a locked SIM.

The XDA answer is yes of course we can unlock your bootloader with a locked SIM. Its been a work around since the device came out on T-Mobile or shortly thereafter.

All of this info and more info can be found in the guide I wrote here: [T-Mobile / Guide] - Full SIM and Bootloader Unlock + Root for locked devices

11th September 2019, 07:02 AM |#5  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo
Thanks Meter: 66,332

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervingio

God Dammit are you are @Scott from the almighty N6???

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Maybe... at that time I was known as scrosler, but yes, that may have been me. I ran scottsroms.com back then...
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scott Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 10:55 AM |#6  
Elysium
Thanks Meter: 900

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

Maybe... at that time I was known as scrosler, but yes, that may have been me. I ran scottsroms.com back then...

Nice see you here
The Following User Says Thank You to Mervingio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mervingio Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)