FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A way to hide the "Bootloader Unlocked" splash?

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By dismembered3po, Member on 13th August 2019, 11:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
When one unlocks the bootloader on an Android device, the device then shows a "Bootloader Unlocked" warning splash screen. This is a general Android thing, not specific to the OP6T.

On the Moto Z2 Force (my previous phone), there was a way to hide that warning screen by flashing logo.bin. See thread:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/z2-...rning-t3702353

I have no idea if an approach like this would be relevant to our OP6T, but wondered if there could be something similar.

Thanks

13th August 2019, 11:23 PM |#2  
Flag Mesa, AZ
Thanks Meter: 638

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismembered3po

When one unlocks the bootloader on an Android device, the device then shows a "Bootloader Unlocked" warning splash screen. This is a general Android thing, not specific to the OP6T.

On the Moto Z2 Force (my previous phone), there was a way to hide that warning screen by flashing logo.bin. See thread:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/z2-...rning-t3702353

I have no idea if an approach like this would be relevant to our OP6T, but wondered if there could be something similar.

Thanks

Intriguing, but idunno.
14th August 2019, 05:36 AM |#3  
Flag Helena
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Doubtful. Logo.bin is encrypted in most recent Android phones because the locked bootloader exists for a reason other than stabbing the customers in the back. So, I am confident that logo.bin mods will not work, since there are some machine codes embedded into the image file, meant for the phone to check if it's legit or not.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
14th August 2019, 06:38 AM |#4  
Flag Marseille
Thanks Meter: 1,801

More
This quest is vane.
All is hardcoded and all devs that tried to hack the files failed.

The only question in fact is: what is your problem with this screen? It lasts 5 secs and only when your reboot....
There are many more crucial things to deal with
14th August 2019, 11:41 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striatum_bdr

This quest is vane.
All is hardcoded and all devs that tried to hack the files failed.

The only question in fact is: what is your problem with this screen? It lasts 5 secs and only when your reboot....
There are many more crucial things to deal with

There may be more crucial things to deal with, and yes it's only showing for a few seconds, but that doesn't mean it's not important to the OP. It annoys the crap out of me as well but will admit I don't have the knowledge to even attempt looking for a solution. Just because you see it as nothing more than a minor annoyance doesn't invalidate his or others annoyance level over it. I'd love to see a solution to it but am aware one is probably not coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to jestyr8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jestyr8 Ad-Free
14th August 2019, 10:18 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestyr8

There may be more crucial things to deal with, and yes it's only showing for a few seconds, but that doesn't mean it's not important to the OP. It annoys the crap out of me as well but will admit I don't have the knowledge to even attempt looking for a solution. Just because you see it as nothing more than a minor annoyance doesn't invalidate his or others annoyance level over it. I'd love to see a solution to it but am aware one is probably not coming.

My concerns about it are twofold:

1) If someone reboots my device without my knowing it, it's a dead giveaway that...well...the device is physically attackable.
2) When I inevitably pass this phone down to my wife, it will annoy her. Also, she has far worse opsec than I do.
14th August 2019, 10:34 PM |#7  
Flag Helena

More
Also, on some phones, possibly this one (OnePlus 6T), the logo.bin image file is deeply embedded inside the second stage UEFI bootloader (aboot), meaning if you try, you will definitely brick it, since it obviously will cause the bootloader to either be quite upset that the logo.bin now no longer pass the cryptography checks, or worse, be completely corrupted.

15th August 2019, 01:40 AM |#8  
Flag Marseille

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismembered3po

My concerns about it are twofold:

1) If someone reboots my device without my knowing it, it's a dead giveaway that...well...the device is physically attackable.
2) When I inevitably pass this phone down to my wife, it will annoy her. Also, she has far worse opsec than I do.

1) that's exactly why Google is against 'root' and why many manufacturers forbid bootloader unlock.... And why phones are encrypted
And why nearly all phone that permit bootloader unlock have this type of screen

Far less annoying than the warning that never stops in your car if your don't put your belt....
15th August 2019, 03:36 AM |#9  
Flag Helena

More
Actually, Google don't really care about rooting nowadays (they allow you to unlock the Google Store version of Google Pixel phones' bootloaders - if they are so against rooting, why do they give you a choice to unlock the bootloader), but they're more concerned about whether root agents are being hijacked (which is why Magisk have Superuser lockout protection, and I use it to only authorize the legit apps), and what the hackers (and cops hellbent on violating the privacy rights laws) would find once they get ahold of the Linux device block handles (like /dev/sda0 for instance) leading to the SD cards and embedded SSD.

So Google have had a right reason to encrypt the whole SSD; it's for your own protection and privacy, something you should be worried about especially after a few high profile security breaches.

In the end, it's never about rooting, it's always about the ramifications of if someone have a hold of your phone. Of course the argument against rooting is useless nowadays anyhow because when you unlock the bootloader, the phone automatically wipes itself clean leaving nothing for the suspects to try and steal (as the bootloader also do perform TRIM wipe too to make sure there's nothing left behind).

15th August 2019, 07:17 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striatum_bdr

1) that's exactly why Google is against 'root' and why many manufacturers forbid bootloader unlock.... And why phones are encrypted
And why nearly all phone that permit bootloader unlock have this type of screen

Far less annoying than the warning that never stops in your car if your don't put your belt....

Google can't be said to be "against root," really. We continually see phones released with bootloader unlock allowed natively. I mean, all of Google's own phones - Pixels, Nexuses (Nexi?) - have permitted oem unlocking since basically ever (Ok, not sure about the Galaxy Nexus). All of the OnePlus phones have permitted it (save the new T-mobile 6t). It's mostly the CARRIERS who forbid it because they have a vested interest in making sure you can't take your phone to another network. Oh...and Samsung.

Full disk encryption is about user privacy, and I can't stress enough how important it is, but it's a separate argument.

I understand the underlying motivation for employing a warning screen like this. For someone who doesn't understand all this stuff, having a blatant warning is beneficial because they will know their device has been tampered with. On the other hand, I'm fully aware of the risks involved with unlocking, rooting, etc. I choose to do it because I'm using it to enhance the functionality and security of the phone for my very specific use-cases. That said, if I could mitigate one additional threat by not broadcasting to everyone that my bootloader is unlocked, maybe the attacker moves on to an easier target.

Whether you like it or not isn't really important to my motivation for asking these questions.
15th August 2019, 07:22 PM |#11  
Flag Marseille

More
Those questions are asked since OnePlus 1, years ago.... Answer will always be the same. Impossible to get rid of the warning screen
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)