FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Background processes killing. Is it problematic for you?

237 posts
Thanks Meter: 66
 
By gorman42, Senior Member on 26th January 2019, 06:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Reading this https://dontkillmyapp.com/oneplus I'm left wondering if some strange behaviour I'm seeing could be motivated by this.

For instance, I've been using for several years this app, Stay Alive: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ics.stay.alive
It gives you the option of having the screen not turning itself off when charging. It's crucial in the car, where I have a dock mounted and use the phone for navigation, music playback, etc.
On my previous Nexus 6P the app worked flawlessly. With 6T sometimes the screen turns off and then it turn itself on once more, as if the process got killed and then restarted.
I have the "don't optimize" option activated for Stay Alive.

There are other strange behaviours I'm seeing, with Tasker for instance. And the nagging feeling that they might depend on background process handling at the OS level.

I recently did turn off Battery/Battery Optimisation/Advanced Optimisation/Deep Optimisation and Sleep standby optimisation, hoping to get better results. I still haven't reached a conclusion about it.

I have to say that it's pretty annoying to have the phone decide for you what should be happening for apps. For instance, I had Firefox in the "Don't optimize" category but it still had problems with opening new pages after a while. Turning off the above two options seems to have cured the problem but if that is needed I wonder what the heck "Don't optimise" mean for OnePlus.

I hope to get to the bottom of this as, quite frankly, not having the phone "act on his own" behind the scenes is exactly why I chose Android as my OS.
The Following User Says Thank You to gorman42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gorman42 Ad-Free
 
 
26th January 2019, 06:58 PM |#2  
indian84's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Doha
Thanks Meter: 2,872
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42

Reading this https://dontkillmyapp.com/oneplus I'm left wondering if some strange behaviour I'm seeing could be motivated by this.

For instance, I've been using for several years this app, Stay Alive: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ics.stay.alive
It gives you the option of having the screen not turning itself off when charging. It's crucial in the car, where I have a dock mounted and use the phone for navigation, music playback, etc.
On my previous Nexus 6P the app worked flawlessly. With 6T sometimes the screen turns off and then it turn itself on once more, as if the process got killed and then restarted.
I have the "don't optimize" option activated for Stay Alive.

There are other strange behaviours I'm seeing, with Tasker for instance. And the nagging feeling that they might depend on background process handling at the OS level.

I recently did turn off Battery/Battery Optimisation/Advanced Optimisation/Deep Optimisation and Sleep standby optimisation, hoping to get better results. I still haven't reached a conclusion about it.

I have to say that it's pretty annoying to have the phone decides for you what should be happening for apps. For instance, I had Firefox in the "Don't optimize" category but it still had problems with opening new pages after a while. Turning off the above two options seems to have cured the problem but if that is needed I wonder what the heck "Don't optimise" mean for OnePlus.

I hope to get to the bottom of this as, quite frankly, not having the phone "act on his own" behind the scenes is exactly why I chose Android as my OS.

Thank you for this.
I've been feeling stupid having all these issues of pass getting killed in the background.
For me proper working phone is more important than battery life. I can easily get one whole day 6AM-11PM with around 30% battery left.
I would be ok if the apps won't get killed and I have say, 10% battery left at the end of the day.
26th January 2019, 07:09 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
More
I also don't understand this, it's what I really dislike about the OnePlus phones. In earlier Android versions it was always adviced not to use app killers because the Android OS knows best when to kill an app. Now OnePlus is doing exactly this, and then call it an optimization...

But @gorman42 are you aware of the option System - Developer Options - Stay Awake?
26th January 2019, 07:16 PM |#4  
Megadoug13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Canajoharie, NY
Thanks Meter: 67
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaathuis

I also don't understand this, it's what I really dislike about the OnePlus phones. In earlier Android versions it was always adviced not to use app killers because the Android OS knows best when to kill an app. Now OnePlus is doing exactly this, and then call it an optimization...

But @gorman42 are you aware of the option System - Developer Options - Stay Awake?

I want to say you're right but it's not only OnePlus that has too aggressive background killing. Google put optimization into Android a couple of years ago and they can't seem to hit a perfect medium between both. I'm sick of switching apps and then going back into an app a couple of minutes later to just have to start at the top of the feed again. It's annoying and it's happened with my 6t, Moto z, Droid turbo, lg g4, and my Galaxy s6 when they were all in their "prime". I think it boils down to Google ultimately
26th January 2019, 10:20 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 273
 
More
Turn off adaptive battery and on your apps you absolutely want untouched selectDon't optimize under battery > battery optimizations. After doing that I have what is consider a normal experience.
26th January 2019, 11:29 PM |#6  
gorman42's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaathuis

But @gorman42 are you aware of the option System - Developer Options - Stay Awake?

Yes, I am. But the screen dims. It doesn't turn off but it dims. For in car navigation that is clearly undesired.

I wonder whether rooting would give me back the control I need through some third party modification...
26th January 2019, 11:32 PM |#7  
gorman42's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridon

Turn off adaptive battery and on your apps you absolutely want untouched selectDon't optimize under battery > battery optimizations. After doing that I have what is consider a normal experience.

But if you read my post... I do have "Don't optimize" selected for relevant apps. It still doesn't seem to solve the problems I'm having.

Now I've turned off Adaptive Battery too. Let's see if it makes any difference.
26th January 2019, 11:38 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Whats solitions.
İ open accebility settings for any app and closed automatical..
Whyy

I'm sorry for my bad english
27th January 2019, 03:48 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42

But if you read my post... I do have "Don't optimize" selected for relevant apps. It still doesn't seem to solve the problems I'm having.

Now I've turned off Adaptive Battery too. Let's see if it makes any difference.

You find solitions ?


I'm sorry for my bad english
27th January 2019, 08:21 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42

But if you read my post... I do have "Don't optimize" selected for relevant apps. It still doesn't seem to solve the problems I'm having.

Now I've turned off Adaptive Battery too. Let's see if it makes any difference.

What most of the times work for for me is open the app, then go to recent app management, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner above the app and choose lock.

And thanks for the tip of this app, because of company policy "stay awake" was disabled on my device and this app overrides it (Earlier I tried 2 or 3 similar apps but they didn't work, this one does).
27th January 2019, 09:03 AM |#11  
SpasilliumNexus's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Delaware
Thanks Meter: 2,797
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42

I wonder whether rooting would give me back the control I need through some third party modification...

You really shouldn't have to modify your phone to, by chance, fix what OnePlus did (same could be said about other OEMs too, but that's besides the point right now). OnePlus needs to fix this issue, which has been an ongoing thing in their ROMs for over two years.

It's a shame that it takes a few app devs getting bad reviews on their apps to come up with a website pointing out the offenders of aggressive app management, with OnePlus being number 2 on the list for this issue to pick up traction, despite numerous users reporting about it on their forum and via in-app feedback for so long.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Compared to OxygenOS on the 3T, OxygenOS nowadays has become so nice to use on the 6T that I don't have a need to root anymore. It's just this issue that really hampers it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes