FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Do Not Buy The T-Mobile OnePlus 6T

15,037 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,154
 
By charlieb620, Senior Member on 30th October 2018, 02:58 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
By all means you are free to do what you please with your hard earned money but just know what you're getting when you purchase the Oneplus 6T from T-Mobile stores.

The T-Mobile version is ideal for people who will use the phone stock no root and will rely on T-Mobile software updates. The device is locked down. While they do offer you $300 for old devices which is an awesome deal you are getting a crippled device and you will be settling. No pun intended.

IF YOU CARE ABOUT ROOT, KERNELS, TWEAKS & FULL CONTROL OF YOUR DEVICE AND A WARRANTY AFTER YOU UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER....ORDER DIRECTLY FROM ONEPLUS.


YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CONVERT OR FLASH ANY ROM TO THE T-MOBILE VARIANT TO CONVERT IT TO THE TRULY UNLOCKED VERSION

*** THE T-MOBILE VERSION DOES NOT SUPPORT DUAL SIM FUNCTIONALITY; EVEN THOUGH IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S THERE AND WILL WORK IT WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY T-MOBILE. THEY WILL NOT ASSIGN A 2ND IMEI # TO THE DEVICE TO USE A 2ND SIM ON THEIR NETWORK ***


I bought the device from the event and was told it was the “unlocked version” because I purchased outright only to get a T-Mobile boot animation, T-Mobile sounds, preinstalled apps, and a locked down bootloader only too late to return because I left NY to head back home. I got it sim unlocked via 611 which also un-greyed the oem unlock option. You then have to fill out a form and get an unlock token like the old HTC days. That takes 7 days to get the .bin file via email that allows you to bootloader unlock your phone. Not worth the time and run around.

Also think about this for those that purchase their phones outright. T-Mobile is charging $580 for the 8/128 after taxes etc you will be close to the 8/256 model that Oneplus is offering directly also depending on where you live and your tax percent rate. You can get that model (8/256) from Oneplus plus free shipping etc not to mention it’s unlocked how it should be with dual sim and the faster software updates.




Read the fine print from T-Mobile. Make your decision based on your needs.

-Never Settle

Lastly at the event Oneplus showed the following prices: $549 for 6/128, $579 for 8/128 and $629 for 8/256. Get to the T-Mobile pop-up and the T-Mobile reps come out and tell everyone around 4:30pm that there are 2 models available...The T-Mobile version for $580+tax which is the 8/128 Jet Black and the "Unlocked" version Midnight Black for $620+tax....mind you NY tax is 8.8% i think. That was an argument all in itself.

Here are some pics of my T-Mobile Oneplus 6T that I picked up and will more than likely return.

Last pic is me trying to unlock the bootloader but it asks for an unlock token in which you need the form to move forward to do so
.























The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to charlieb620 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift charlieb620 Ad-Free
 
 
30th October 2018, 03:26 PM |#2  
Junior Member
Flag Cottage Grove
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I see the the second sim slot is filled. Makes me wonder if software and hardware is actually in there. I wonder if if you could replace it with a two slot one and get functionality. it wouldn't be the first time a manufacture did something like this. is there anyone who can try this and verify yet?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahandeman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahandeman Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 03:37 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Foster City, CA
Thanks Meter: 82
 
More
I am a bit confused. Depending upon where I live, if I have x% tax, then won't tmo and OnePlus both charge me the same tax? It's not as if tmo will tax me but OnePlus won't right?

Useful information about bootloader unlocking etc. Thanks for that.

Can the tmo apps be uninstalled?
30th October 2018, 03:43 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
it's looking REAL bad for everyone here at XDA who wants to save $300 by buying from tmobile. $300 is not worth being unable to unlock the bootloader for 24 months.

If you are here at XDA, it's because you want development and tweaks to your phone. You want to be able to flash custom roms / kernels / recovery / magisk, etc. All of that requires bootloader to be unlocked.

I just had a chat with tmobile and the tmobile variant CANNOT unlock the bootloader if you want the $300 device trade in bill credits over 24 months. The only way to unlock the bootloader on the tmobile variant is if you buy the phone outright for $580 + tax, making you ineligible for the $300 trade in bill credits (which you're way better off buying directly from oneplus.com at that point).

I will be buying from oneplus.com and I suggest that you do the same.

chat transcript is below:

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to raing For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raing Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 03:54 PM |#5  
high_voltage's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,779
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raing

it's looking REAL bad for everyone here at XDA who wants to save $300 by buying from tmobile. $300 is not worth being unable to unlock the bootloader for 24 months.

If you are here at XDA, it's because you want development and tweaks to your phone. You want to be able to flash custom roms / kernels / recovery / magisk, etc. All of that requires bootloader to be unlocked.

I just had a chat with tmobile and the tmobile variant CANNOT unlock the bootloader if you want the $300 device trade in bill credits over 24 months. The only way to unlock the bootloader on the tmobile variant is if you buy the phone outright for $580 + tax, making you ineligible for the $300 trade in bill credits (which you're way better off buying directly from oneplus.com at that point).

I will be buying from oneplus.com and I suggest that you do the same.

chat transcript is below:

roflmao, nothing more to say about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to high_voltage For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift high_voltage Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 04:00 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Deleted
30th October 2018, 04:06 PM |#7  
biggiestuff's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 420
 
More
Still going to get the phone from Tmobile. My family plan rate isn't going to be beat and I"m in it for a low cost phone with 6gb+ of memory and a large battery PLUS the 300 i'll get for my Nexus 6. I won't unlock the bootloader anyway since I use Google Pay and don't feel like modifying the phone to get it to work with an unlocked bootloader.

Things I'll miss but aren't dealbreakers

1) Always On Display. I can adapt i hope
2) Camera from pixel xl 2. I'm not a huge picture taker but pixel photos do look nice but for any big events I usually break out the RX100
3) Going caseless. Pixel XL 2 rear doesn't pick up fingerprints or oils hardly. That mirror black is going to need a case. (dbrand maybe?)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biggiestuff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biggiestuff Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 04:10 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff

Still going to get the phone from Tmobile. My family plan rate isn't going to be beat and I"m in it for a low cost phone with 6gb+ of memory and a large battery PLUS the 300 i'll get for my Nexus 6. I won't unlock the bootloader anyway since I use Google Pay and don't feel like modifying the phone to get it to work with an unlocked bootloader.

Things I'll miss but aren't dealbreakers

1) Always On Display. I can adapt i hope
2) Camera from pixel xl 2. I'm not a huge picture taker but pixel photos do look nice but for any big events I usually break out the RX100
3) Going caseless. Pixel XL 2 rear doesn't pick up fingerprints or oils hardly. That mirror black is going to need a case. (dbrand maybe?)

Just so you know, you can easily have google pay working with unlocked bootloader, custom recovery, a custom rom, and root via magisk. No extra tweaks or anything needed. Just flask magisk and you pass safetynet no problems.
It is also highly likely that custom roms and/or magisk modules will bring Always on Display to the 6t, which you will not be able to do with the tmobile version.
The Following User Says Thank You to raing For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raing Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 04:23 PM |#9  
biggiestuff's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 420
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raing

Just so you know, you can easily have google pay working with unlocked bootloader, custom recovery, a custom rom, and root via magisk. No extra tweaks or anything needed. Just flask magisk and you pass safetynet no problems.
It is also highly likely that custom roms and/or magisk modules will bring Always on Display to the 6t, which you will not be able to do with the tmobile version.

I'm fine with no flashing. I have a Google version of the pixel XL 2 and haven't even unlocked the boot loader. I'm just that lazy to do so now. I'm hearing different reports about still receiving credits after you've paid off the device. Once it's confirmed I'll just pay it off early if the desire to flash and mod ever arises. All this information is good for the consumer to know so they can see if the compromises are worth it to them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to biggiestuff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biggiestuff Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 04:32 PM |#10  
darkjedi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
I bought the phone yesterday as well. It does have the Tmo splash screen and one additional app (the Tmo app). I was able to unlock the phone this morning and the unlock app went away. Ok, it does have the "T-Jingle", but that's easily replaced. You can request a token for the bootloader here:

https://unlockbootloader.oneplus.com/unlock_token

I honestly wouldn't say don't buy it from Tmo, because it's right in the store and you don't have to wait. But if you want 256GB of storage or a different color, then get direct from OP. No need for a sky is falling thread.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to darkjedi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift darkjedi Ad-Free
30th October 2018, 04:40 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 498
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi

I bought the phone yesterday as well. It does have the Tmo splash screen and one additional app (the Tmo app). I was able to unlock the phone this morning and the unlock app went away. Ok, it does have the "T-Jingle", but that's easily replaced. You can request a token for the bootloader here:

https://unlockbootloader.oneplus.com/unlock_token

I honestly wouldn't say don't buy it from Tmo, because it's right in the store and you don't have to wait. But if you want 256GB of storage or a different color, then get direct from OP. No need for a sky is falling thread.

Wait, you already SIM unlocked it? We're trying to figure out whether that's really needed or just FUD. Did you get a bootloader token back already too?

I wonder if the research by @runningnak3d will help us as a last resort.
The Following User Says Thank You to LLStarks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LLStarks Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
iphone, oneplus, oppo, samsung, tmobile
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes