FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] Enabling Full speed Hotspot / Tethering (Throttle Bypasses)

761 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,090

By gigilie, Senior Member on 1st March 2019, 09:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
If your rooted then theres various ways to bypass and if used together chances are good you won't have to pay 2x for data: modifying your apn to allow dun type, adding the line: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
to your build.prop and finally using adb from a PC (u can try this even if not rooted) type the following from cmd or powershell: "adb shell" followed by "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" without the " "s and restart your phone n hopefully that should do the trick.

If still throttled by TMo go into Magisk and install tethering_enabler or TTL tethering modules. These modules weren't specifically made for the 6T but they should still be effective. If still unsuccessful then modifying the TTL from the device your trying to tether to will help hide the source of data aim for TTL of 65 to confuse tmo.

If your not rooted then use PDANet USB tether to a PC and hide tether options then create a hotspot from the PC your USB tethered to or use the WiFi Sharing option in PDANet PC Menu. At least thats what works the best for me and I've tried many many things... One other possibility if your on stock no root is to add a new apn with all the same info as normal fast.tmobile.net lte apn only enable MVNO type to GIO for apn type leave it blank and save it. This should hide the default TMobile apn (and make the editor think your using a 3rd party like Mint) now go back and edit the new apn and under apn type put: dun,default,mms,supl try and save it. It should error n say dun not supported... Press Home and force close settings-reboot phone. The dun sometimes will stick if this method isn't patched yet I'm sure it will be soon.

Your final options are to use an app from playstore like VPN Hotspot or VPN Tether they might slow your speed a bit but they should tunnel all your data thru a VPN confusing TMo as to the origin of data. Probably the best and easiest way is by using a custom ROM as most haven't been tainted by Google's latest CarrierConfigManager commits or carrier apn restrictions. If anyone knows how to reverse these commits easily or any other methods not listed please let me know.

I'm currently looking for a clean TMo only dun enabled apns-config.xml so I can overwrite the default n modify the build.prop for a quick fix on any new ROM or update...

As you can probably tell being throttled or having to pay 2x for the same data is a pet peeve of mine and I've spent some time researching the topic. I'd love to hear what ended up working for you or if anyone knows a solid method I missed. Or has a recommendation for a good ROM with unlimited hotspot features built in for the 6t let me know. If any of these Bypasses helped you hit the thumbs up so I don't feel like I wasted hours of my life making this guide
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gigilie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gigilie Ad-Free

1st March 2019, 08:26 PM |#2  
Flag Silicon Valley
Thanks Meter: 193

More
It uses NetShare app which works very well.
I have grandfathered unlimited data plan from tmo. No cap, no throttle, no video compression of any kinds.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
1st March 2019, 09:19 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
MN

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengtengvn

I have grandfathered unlimited data plan from tmo. No cap, no throttle, no video compression of any kinds.

Right on what's the no cap no throttle unlimited run you a mo? I'm paying $25 for a one business plan it's unlimited but after 60gb they can slow u down and after 10gb of hotspot they throttle you to 200kbs lol but hey for $45 a mo they hooked me up with Netflix n my 6T lol still saving $15 from my old MetroPCs unlimited. But with the rooted bypass installed n the signal boosting hack I figured out I was at 430gb data and 217gb tether-hotspot last mo
1st March 2019, 10:50 PM |#4  
Flag Silicon Valley
Thanks Meter: 193

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilie

Right on what's the no cap no throttle unlimited run you a mo? I'm paying $25 for a one business plan it's unlimited but after 60gb they can slow u down and after 10gb of hotspot they throttle you to 200kbs lol but hey for $45 a mo they hooked me up with Netflix n my 6T lol still saving $15 from my old MetroPCs unlimited. But with the rooted bypass installed n the signal boosting hack I figured out I was at 430gb data and 217gb tether-hotspot last mo

It used to be call Android Web Data back in HTC G1, MyTouch 3G days.

Now, they call it Unlimited Nationwide 4G

$20.00/mo

Category

Data Service

Description

Adds Unlimited Nationwide 4G data on T-Mobile's network. Includes up to 5 GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.

5th March 2019, 06:29 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 710

More
Adding the build prop line and adb shell command didn't work for me. I'm not sure how to change the apn setting you mentioned. I going to try wifi tether out. Used to work back in the day. I'd love to find a way to get around the throttle limit.
6th March 2019, 12:50 AM |#6  
Flag Newburg
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengtengvn

I actually have the same plan. Didn't know it was discontinued until today for new signups. Kinda a bummer but I'll have to keep it in mind that I may not be able to get it back so easily. With that said they do sometimes send me the notification about the 50GB deprioritization/throttle but in my area I rarely ever see any kind of actual hit.
6th March 2019, 03:19 AM |#7  
Flag Lexington,sc
Thanks Meter: 43

More
I thought you had to fix apn.xml
24th May 2019, 05:41 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
I can't figure out why but both my 1+3 and 1+6T have no limits on bandwidth out of the box. I can tether full speed and watch video with any resolution. I tried this unrooted, rooted, factory reset, even T-Mobile ROM. It was not like this a few months ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badd_blood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Badd_blood Ad-Free
30th May 2019, 05:52 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilie

Signal boosting hack? You have peak my interest, where can I find more information? Nevermind I found it here, but thank you for letting me know.
8th August 2019, 07:50 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
MN

Donate to Me
More
I tried...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecompton59

I thought you had to fix apn.xml

I tried this but it's become more than a quick xml mod as Google's forced various carrier check calls into their OS and it seems most aosp brands have incorporatated these checks blindly into their ROMs as well. If anyone's able to get a rom clean of carrier checks or knows of a kernel that will bypass these and willl keep a steady ttl of 64 plz post details. Otherwise the only success I had outside of pdanet tethering was to root and force a ttl with an app like ttl master yota 4.0 and running ttlpatch on your PC (Google those names for downloads) your kernel needs to accept iptables old versions if ne1 has a more upto date ttl modifying app that supports newer iptable changes (off the top of my head I forget what they are plz post) If I get around to it I'll try n write up a lil magisk module or app for easier forced ttl on Android 9+ ROMs but this or a faux VPN would be easiest way around any restrictions put on by carriers... Hope this helps a lil
10th August 2019, 12:58 AM |#11  
Flag Lexington,sc
Thanks Meter: 43

More
I hook to PC with the USB tether and mods I tried to make run the hotspot off PC and it works i get 20-30mbs with data so hotspot I believe is the same I never had issues I'll start testing more if anyway I can help I will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190809-195455.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	4804009  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bypass, hotspot, speed, tether, throttle

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)